News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Off Hook/On Hook issue

Started by Wildbull, August 27, 2018, 04:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildbull

Full disclosure, I'm a newbie to this,  I set up my Obi200 per instructions.  With the phone line plugged in to the device, the phone green light flashes and I have no dial tone.  When I open the Obi200 IP address under Status/PHONE Port Status, it shows the device is "off hook".  If I unplug the phone cord from the Obi200 the status shows "on hook".  I then plug the phone cord in again and I can get a dial tone on my cordless phone.  I can then make a call to my cell phone if I make the call within 10-15 seconds otherwise the phone goes dead as a normal phone does when left off the hook without dialing a number within a few seconds.

I can NEVER make a call from my cell phone to my cordless home phone that is connected to the Obi200. It says the wireless customer I called is not available.

Suggestions?

SteveInWA

Hi:

This sounds like you have a defective telephone and/or telephone cord.  Try replacing both, and see if the symptom goes away.

Just to rule out newbie error, you DO know that the telephone must be an ordinary residential analog telephone with a RJ-11 jack on it, right?  You can't use any sort of digital (like the proprietary type used in older offices or hotel rooms) or IP phone.

Wildbull

Iys a brand new phone and I have tried two different cords.

SteveInWA

drgeoff

Please confirm that the base station is connected directly to the OBi.  No extender cables, no extension wiring, no other phone(s), fax etc wired in.

Wildbull

Thank you.  This helped me fix it.  Its too embarrassing to admit my stupid mistake, but I got it working.

drgeoff

Quote from: Wildbull on August 28, 2018, 12:03:07 PM
Thank you.  This helped me fix it.  Its too embarrassing to admit my stupid mistake, but I got it working.
What was the problem?