News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connecting a Obi110 to a obi100 without Obitalk?

Started by Ostracus, September 06, 2011, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

Already own an Obi110 and thinking of getting an Obi100. Wondering if I can connect the two without going through the Obitalk network?

RonR

I'm curious why you ask that?

Each one can call the other using Google Voice or VoIP services, but as long as Obihai is around and running the OBiTALK voice server, it gets the job done.

It might also be possible to lash up a SIP-to-SIP link between the two.

Ostracus

Quote from: RonR on September 06, 2011, 11:00:48 PM
I'm curious why you ask that?

Each one can call the other using Google Voice or VoIP services, but as long as Obihai is around and running the OBiTALK voice server, it gets the job done.

Oh my comment isn't meant to be a disparagement on any outside services. But I do see them as additional complexity to what would otherwise be a direct connection between the two devices. e.g. router.

M105

You can use the VOIP capabilities to connect them directly.  I am using an old Grandstream VOIP adapter as an extension phone and can also use it as an intercom.  I have both the Obi110 and the VOIP adapter set up so that if you dial 111 on either, it rings the other.

QBZappy

M105,

Off topic.

Cool idea. Since you use the ATAs only as intercoms you might consider setting up the Grandstream ATA as a "Hot Line". Just lift the receiver and your OBi phone will ring right away. It would make a good door phone.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Quote from: M105 on September 07, 2011, 07:38:51 AM
You can use the VOIP capabilities to connect them directly.  I am using an old Grandstream VOIP adapter as an extension phone and can also use it as an intercom.  I have both the Obi110 and the VOIP adapter set up so that if you dial 111 on either, it rings the other.

And how would one go about doing that?

M105

Quote from: QBZappy on September 07, 2011, 08:45:40 AM
M105,

Off topic.

Cool idea. Since you use the ATAs only as intercoms you might consider setting up the Grandstream ATA as a "Hot Line". Just lift the receiver and your OBi phone will ring right away. It would make a good door phone.

I am using the Grandstream ATA as an extension phone jack.  I can make and receive calls with it so I don't want the "hot line".  This is actually functioning over a wireless link to my back shop building using an old Linksys WAP54g as a wireless repeater.  Gives me Internet and a phone in the shop. 8)

M105

Quote from: Ostracus on September 07, 2011, 11:21:17 AM

I used this page as a starting point.
http://voxilla.com/2011/02/15/how-to-obify-your-ip-phone-no-asterisk-involved-2623

There are also a few threads on this forum about it that you can search for.

RonR

Quote from: Ostracus on September 07, 2011, 11:21:17 AM

It's easy to connect two OBi's using SIP and without using the OBiTALK voice server.

The following additions to each PHONE Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute will cause the other unit to be called when 0 is dialed:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap : (...|0|...)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute : ...,{0:vg5(OBi)},...

Assuming each OBi is configured for SIP on SP2, add the following on both units:

Voice Services -> Gateways and Trunk Groups -> Voice Gateway5:

Name : OBi

AccessNumber : SP2(w.x.y.z:5061)

where w.x.y.z is the IP address of the other unit.

If SP2 is currently unused, you can configure it for SIP using:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (put anything here)

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

earthtoobi

Ronr: isnt there an assumption too that device 1 and 2 have 5061 port forwarded in their own  routers to the respective Obi devices for it to work.
also, can DDNS be used instead of Ip address?

in general:if one of the trunk in each device is configured with same SIP provider, then typically SIP2SIP is provided Free by the provider.
so, if you have callcentric configured on both devices, they can talk to each other for free.
even, if they are configured with different SIP providers, SIP2SIP is free as long as providers support free Sipbroker peering.

As i had mentioned in other posts, what i like about obitalk voice server is that since the protocol is not SIP, it works in countries where ISP  blocks SIP completely.

RonR

Quote from: earthtoobi on September 07, 2011, 02:24:49 PM
Ronr: isnt there an assumption too that device 1 and 2 have 5061 port forwarded in their own  routers to the respective Obi devices for it to work.
also, can DDNS be used instead of Ip address?

When I wrote that, I was thinking in terms of both units being on the same LAN (192.168.?.?).  If that's not the case, and there's a router in the loop, then forwarding of SIP and RTP ports is probably required (I'm so used to always having these ports forwarded regardless, I don't have to think about it).  There's no problem using hostnames such as Dynamic DNS services instead of IP addresses.

in general:if one of the trunk in each device is configured with same SIP provider, then typically SIP2SIP is provided Free by the provider.
so, if you have callcentric configured on both devices, they can talk to each other for free.
even, if they are configured with different SIP providers, SIP2SIP is free as long as providers support free Sipbroker peering.

That's true assuming the provider allows multiple devices to be registered and you have the necessary sub-accounts set up to handle calling between the units.

As i had mentioned in other posts, what i like about obitalk voice server is that since the protocol is not SIP, it works in countries where ISP  blocks SIP completely.

Are you sure the OBiTALK voice server doesn't use SIP protocol?  I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed it was mostly vanilla SIP with a few modifications/additions to handle the OBi's specific needs.  The ports used may very well be non-standard, which would account for them not being blocked.  It would have been a fair amount of work and would take up a lot of space in the OBi to have a totally different protocol in use for the OBiTALK service when SIP is already there and would suffice.

QBZappy

The OBiTalk portal and the OBiTalk network exhibit similar feature set to the following sip software products: OpenSIPS, SIP Express Router (SER)

OpenSIPS: http://opensips.org/
Main features OpenSIPS can be used as :

SIP registrar server
   SIP router / proxy (lcr, dynamic routing, dialplan features) (OBi dial plans???)
   SIP redirect server
   SIP presence agent (OBi Dashboard has a status feature)
   SIP back-to-back User Agent (OBi network can connect OBi to OBi)
   SIP IM server (chat and end-2-end IM)
   SIP to SMS gateway (bidirectional)
   SIP to XMPP gateway for presence and IM (bidirectional) (OBi, Google Chat???)
   SIP load-balancer or dispatcher
   SIP front end for gateways/asterisk (OBiTALK Portal)
   SIP NAT traversal unit (OBi seems to have this ability as well)
   SIP application server

SIP Express Router (SER): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIP_Express_Router
is a SIP server. It can be configured to act as SIP registrar, proxy or redirect server. SER features presence support, RADIUS/syslog accounting and authorization, XML-RPC-based remote control and others. Web-based user provisioning (OBi seems to have this ability as well), serweb, is available.

SER's performance allows it to deal with operational burdens, such as broken network components, attacks, power-up reboots (OBI Expert configuration can reboot the unit) and a rapidly growing user population. SER can be configured for many scenarios including small-office use, enterprise PBX replacements and carrier services.

Some of the other features mentioned in these products might become future enhancements of the OBi.

Just some of my musings about this interesting thread. Anyone see any other similarities?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.