News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice number inbound and outbound are two different numbers Hello

Started by digitaleagle12, August 29, 2018, 08:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitaleagle12

Hello:

I have been using an OBI 202 for a couple of years now and have a strange change that has occurred. 
I was assigned a regular 386 area code and 7 digit number here in central Florida.  I have never had an issue with people calling me or the same number showing up on the callerid's of the people I have called with the same number. 

About three months ago, people I was calling were reporting that my number was showing up as a 992 area code with a totally different 7 digit number after the area code.  I confirmed this myself by calling out to my cell phones. 

The only thing I have changed over the last couple of months has been to re-instate my 911 Anveno service through Obitalk. 

I have looked through all of the configuration files on both Voice.Google.com and Obitalk.com and can see nothing that looks out of the ordianary.  I have also looked on the internet for others reporting similar problems and can find nothing. 

I sent a support ticket to Obi, but they want me to pay for service. 

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?  People can still call me on my 386 assigned Google talk number and I can make outbound calls, but why the different number showing up on their caller-ids? 

If anyone has some ideas on what to do to fix this, I'd really appreciate any advice. 

My next thought was going to reset the Obi 202 and completely re-configure it again. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Dave 

SteveInWA

The first thing to do, is to isolate the root cause of the problem -- as a Google Voice problem, or an OBiTALK problem.

Open a web browser on a laptop/desktop computer, not on a mobile device.  If using Google Chrome Browser or Safari, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an incognito window, or, if using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a private window.  In that window, sign into the one and only Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.

Confirm that you see the correct Google Voice inbound phone number at the top of the page.  If you don't, then you are signed into the wrong Google account -- try again.

If you are now signed into the correct account, then, on that same incognito/private browser tab, go here:  https://hangouts.google.com/.  Call some other phone number, NOT another Google Voice number.  Determine what the caller ID display on the called phone number shows.  If it is correct, then there is nothing wrong on the Google Voice side.  What happened?

drgeoff

@digitaleagle12

This is why I asked you to delete the duplicate post.  Now you have people responding without being au fait with other replies.

SteveInWA

Actually, I did see the other thread, but I decided to try to diagnose it first as a Google Voice vs. OBi problem.