News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

dsl and obihai 200

Started by mhsmom, August 29, 2018, 01:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhsmom

My internet connection is dsl. I want the phone connection coming off the Obi to  use the house phone lines so that  all the phones in the house ring. is this possible?
Will a dsl splitter/filter work to separate the lines?
Thanks

drgeoff

1.  Please delete the duplicate thread so that all discussion takes place in this one.

2.  No, it is not a good idea to have the PHONE port of an OBi connected to external wiring even if an xDSL splitter/filter is used. Long read for you at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13583.0. It may initially appear irrelevant to you but keep reading it and you will see that is highly pertinent.

A_Friend

Quote from: mhsmom on August 29, 2018, 01:16:47 PM
My internet connection is dsl. I want the phone connection coming off the Obi to  use the house phone lines so that  all the phones in the house ring. is this possible?
Will a dsl splitter/filter work to separate the lines?
Thanks

Including the Telco line, how many telephone lines are you trying to support?  That is, are you getting voice service ("POTS") from your Telco in addition to dsl service?  Or is the Obi200 the only voice service you have?

If the latter, the safest approach is to disconnect your house wiring from the network interface jack (the tie point where Telco's line attaches to your house wiring), and run a separate wire to their modem.

Less safe, and only feasible if you're familiar with and handy with telephone wiring, and if Telco is just two wires, is to run Telco and Obi on separate wire pairs of the house wiring.  (Red/green is one pair, black/yellow the other.)  I say less safe because a static (lightning) surge on the "outside" pair can still induct to the "inside" pair, especially as phone wiring is not twisted-pair.  Installing a surge protector (even just a varistor) on the outside line at the network interface is probably not a bad idea.