News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to dial 877 number using Google Voice and Obi

Started by StevenInForum, September 07, 2011, 08:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenInForum

I have a Google Voice account set up to be the primary outbound number on my Obi110. When I dial an 877... number, the phone rings but doesn't connect to the service. If I dial out using the landline (prefix with **8) the call goes through fine. If I dial the 877... number using the same Google Chat account that I'm using to call out through the Obi110, the call also goes through fine. Seems to be some issue with Obi and Google Chat/Voice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RonR

Look at the OBi's Call History.  Does it show the correct number being sent to Google Voice?

Are you dialing 1877xxxxxxx and if not, does that work?

If you log into your Gmail account and attempt the call from the web page using your computer's speakers and microphone, is the call successful?

StevenInForum

From the call log the correct number 1877xxxxxxx was being placed. I haven't tried dialing 877xxxxxxx. I'll give it a try tonight.

Yes, the number goes through fine if I dial through Google Talk on my computer. It also goes through fine if I dial out using the **8 prefix to use the landline. Just the Google Talk outbound through Obi is having problems.

For what it's worth, I'm calling a voice conference system which picks up on the first ring. I'm not sure why that would affect anything, but maybe it checks for something on the line and if it think it detects something odd, it hangs up. Not sure.

RonR

It doesn't make sense that you can call a particular 877 number from the Gmail web page but can't call that same number from the OBi, and the OBi shows the correct number being sent to Google Voice, and this only occurs with this one phone number.   ???

If it's a public number, post it and I'll see what happens from here.

Whether you dial 877xxxxxxx or 1877xxxxxxx, the OBi should send it to Google Voice as 1877xxxxxxx.

StevenInForum

Yes, it's strange. I tried just dialing 877xxxxxxx and that didn't work, either. One ring, not pick-up. Google Talk works fine when used from a PC. So does dialing the Obi through the land line.

It turns out NONE of the number are going through when dialing out using Google Talk through the Obi110. It used to work. This just started happening over the past week or so.

Any suggestions?

My plan now when I get time is to reset the Obi and set everything up again.

RonR

Quote from: StevenInForum on September 08, 2011, 01:19:31 PM
My plan now when I get time is to reset the Obi and set everything up again.

That may very well be the best approach at this point.

StevenInForum

My Obi requested a firmware update. After the update, the problem has gone away. Could have been the update, or the reboot after the update.

Thanks all for your help.