News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 1062 Not Working with Google Voice

Started by atxguy24, August 30, 2018, 12:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atxguy24

I know this is a common topic on here, but despite going through all the threads I was able to find on the topic, I have not been able to get my 1062 to work with Google Voice since the update to GV.

I've had 2 Obihai 1062 handsets for a couple of years, and they always more or less worked as intended until the update to GV.  Given that my GV number still rings to my cellphone, I was fairly patient with the issues with the handsets, assuming there were some kinks to work out that might be affecting a subset of 1062 sets/users (read: me).

At this point, I'm thinking everything should be working, but every attempt I've made to get it working has failed.  I've tried updating the firmware (through the handset, through the dial-in system, and through the Obitalk website), I've done factory reboots on both devices, I've deleted the devices from the website management console and re-added them . . . nothing.  I even tried downloading the new firmware to a USB device, but there doesn't seem to be a way to try to install it directly via phone itself.

I've also looked into Google Voice's settings.  Unlike some of the examples provided in this forum, I don't see any place for management of phones/of a SIP device; it just shows call forwarding to my cellphone.  At this point, I'm not even sure what to try in there.

So, my hardware is still showing a red light next to my Google Voice line and is non-functioning.  At this point, I'm not sure what else to try.

Does anyone have any advice on what else might get it working?  Has anyone else had a similar experience trying to get their 1032/1062 to work?

For reference, specs are:

• Software Version: 5.0.0 (Build: 2619.1311)
  • Hardware Version: 1.3
  • (not sure what else would be relevant here, but if other information is helpful, please let me know!)

Any guidance (or emotional support :D) is greatly appreciated!

drgeoff

Your firmware is ancient.

My 1032 with 5.1.11 (Build: 4858EX.1311) is OK with GV.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12455.msg91681#msg91681

atxguy24

Thanks for the reply.  I've been having trouble getting the firmware to actually update.  Any advice?

drgeoff

Quote from: atxguy24 on August 30, 2018, 01:13:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I've been having trouble getting the firmware to actually update.  Any advice?
Download to computer.  Point browser on computer to IP address of your OBi and login.  Navigate to System Management, Device Update.  Press 'Choose File'. Navigate to where you saved the firmware file. Click the 'Update' button.

atxguy24

Thanks.  I tried that, but I keep getting a failure message.

https://imgur.com/Fm0F1jx

Perhaps the FW is so out of date, I need to update to an older version as a stair step?

I have no problem pulling up the hardware via IP, but I can't seem to jam the update through no matter what method I try.

drgeoff

Quote from: atxguy24 on August 30, 2018, 01:37:21 PM
Thanks.  I tried that, but I keep getting a failure message.

https://imgur.com/Fm0F1jx

Perhaps the FW is so out of date, I need to update to an older version as a stair step?

I have no problem pulling up the hardware via IP, but I can't seem to jam the update through no matter what method I try.
That's a new one on me!

It is not necessary to step through intermediate updates.

Check that the file size of the downloaded firmware is exactly 31,088,724 bytes.

Were these new retail OBis (Amazon, Newegg etc) or have they been supplied by some other route?

atxguy24

Picked them up on Amazon.  Always seemed like the firmware was updating every so often, but perhaps I've always had issues with it going through and only noticed now that an update is necessary to get GV working.   ??? >:(

Thanks for chiming in and trying to provide some insight.  Hopefully someone floating out there knows something that might work!

edit: Yep, that's the file size.  Thanks for the heads-up on the file location for the latest firmware btw.  I had been using the link to "latest", which looks to be a small file/older fw.

drgeoff

Connected via ethernet cable or via Wi-Fi?  Cable is strongly recommended for firmware updates.  Both computer and OBi cabled to ethernet switch/router.

drgeoff

Have you tried the "start from scratch" method?

Delete OBi from Dashboard.
Reset the OBi.
Add to dashboard.
Wait for auto firmware update.
Configure GV.
Configure other settings as desired.

atxguy24

1) Nope, I am on wi-fi.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I hardwired anything.  Phone shouldn't be a problem, so I will try that once I find a Cat5/6 and prompt an update via the phone; hooking up my computer will be a separate issue as I have an ultrabook and don't know where the ethernet adapter is.

2) Yes, I did try a factory reset/delete from dashboard and start fresh, granted I entered credentials for GV at the same time as adding the device back to the dashboard.  If 1) doesn't work, I'll give that another try and separate out adding GV back as an SP.

drgeoff

Quote from: atxguy24 on August 30, 2018, 02:22:26 PM
1) Nope, I am on wi-fi.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I hardwired anything.  Phone shouldn't be a problem, so I will try that once I find a Cat5/6 and prompt an update via the phone; hooking up my computer will be a separate issue as I have an ultrabook and don't know where the ethernet adapter is.

2) Yes, I did try a factory reset/delete from dashboard and start fresh, granted I entered credentials for GV at the same time as adding the device back to the dashboard.  If 1) doesn't work, I'll give that another try and separate out adding GV back as an SP.
After adding it back to the dashboard, leave it alone for a couple of hours.  There is no point trying to configure GV until the firmware has been updated. It won't work.

Chris555

I am having the same issue.  Bought a new 1062.  Google voice won't add the new phone at all.

So, I had 3 phones in GV.  I removed one as a test and that phone won't add into google voice at all. 

Error is:

Connect Failed: No Response (server=64.9.241.108)

This phone worked.  I removed it from GV through the Legacy - Settings.   Nothing will get it back into the GV.

There is definitely something going on - and this has to be affecting everyone. 

Any ideas?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chris555 on September 09, 2018, 07:37:30 PM
I am having the same issue.  Bought a new 1062.  Google voice won't add the new phone at all.

So, I had 3 phones in GV.  I removed one as a test and that phone won't add into google voice at all. 

Error is:

Connect Failed: No Response (server=64.9.241.108)

This phone worked.  I removed it from GV through the Legacy - Settings.   Nothing will get it back into the GV.

There is definitely something going on - and this has to be affecting everyone. 

Any ideas?

Hi Chris:

Your post is a bit unclear, and possibly unrelated to the rest of this thread.  You said "So, I had 3 phones in GV.  I removed one as a test and that phone won't add into google voice at all."  What were the three phones -- regular 10-digit mobile and/or land line phone numbers, or OBiTALK devices?

If you would like to troubleshoot this, I suggest cleaning everything out of both the Google Voice and the OBiTALK sides, then systematically adding forwarding destinations back again, one at at time, until it breaks (or just works).

These are a lot of steps, but it's worth the effort, vs. trying random things.  Before I post more details, please reply with a complete list of the destinations you want to link to your inbound Google Voice number (regular phone numbers and/or OBiTALK devices).

atxguy24

@Chris555, @SteveInWA:

When originally configuring the device, I never had to do anything within the GV settings (I think it just had to be set to accept calls via Google Hangouts or some such).  I simply logged into the appropriate Google Account via the OBiTalk dashboard and was off and away.

Are you saying that with the changes to Google Voice, I now need to do something to add the hardware there?  I assumed it would just appear within Google Voice if configured properly through OBiTalk.

Apologies if I am ignorant here; I have read as much as possible in the forums, but I don't think I've seen any mention of adding the hardware directly via Google Voice settings.

SteveInWA

Quote from: atxguy24 on September 10, 2018, 10:14:41 AM
@Chris555, @SteveInWA:

When originally configuring the device, I never had to do anything within the GV settings (I think it just had to be set to accept calls via Google Hangouts or some such).  I simply logged into the appropriate Google Account via the OBiTalk dashboard and was off and away.

Are you saying that with the changes to Google Voice, I now need to do something to add the hardware there?  I assumed it would just appear within Google Voice if configured properly through OBiTalk.

Apologies if I am ignorant here; I have read as much as possible in the forums, but I don't think I've seen any mention of adding the hardware directly via Google Voice settings.

Hi:

No, you don't have to add the OBiTALK device to the Google Voice settings.  In June, Google Voice made a major change to the service, shutting down its XMPP service and migrating to SIP.  This required a firmware update on the OBiTALK devices.  If you have the current firmware, then it should automatically interact with the Google Voice backend to set up a SIP connection for each of your OBiTALK devices.

I don't know how many users of Google Voice on OBiTALK there are at this time, but it's safe to say hundreds of thousands.  A small minority have been experiencing various failures when converting to SIP. 

Chris555

@SteveinWA,

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry for not being detailed.

I have 3 1062s right now.  One wasn't working well in that it reboots often on its own, couldn't hear callers or when transfering the inbound call to any of the other 1062s, the call would make it, but nobody could hear anyone. 

All 3 are linked.

So, I bought a new 1062 to replace the one that wasn't working consistently.  However, google voice would not add it at all.  I went through the install screen on the dashboard, just like my other 3 1062s, and it just would not work at all.  The new 1062 had the latest firmware in that I checked the actual version on the phone.

So, I decided to just send the new 1062 back to Amazon.  I emailed tech support and they said the phone was working because they called it through the obi service ... problem is, google voice would not add the phone.   

I experimented:  I removed two of my 3 1062s and was able to successfully re-add them to the google voice service.  The new 1062 phone I bought, no good. 

In conclusion, what was working well for me is now riddled with tons of failures and inconsistencies.  As I am typing this, my 1062 that I use is constantly rebooting and not working.  That is not on topic with this post, though.

I am willing to blow out all the settings and phones, reset everything to factory, etc.  It is the only thing I think left to do.  If it doesn't work, well, I have no idea.  Maybe create a whole new google account, setup a new google voice number, etc ... I'm just not sure.  SteveinWA, your advice is greatly appreciated and wish I could just hire you to solve this for me.

Thank you.

SteveInWA

Chris, unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to diagnose this via the forum, and I personally don't know why you are having these failures.

I really do not recommend using Google Voice if it is impacting your ability to use multiple phones.  Instead, sign up with a paid, supported, SIP VoIP service provider, like Callcentric, voip.ms, Phonepower, Anveo, Dialpad or Ringcentral.  All of those service providers are supported on your OBi IP phones.

atxguy24

So I finally got around to buying a Cat 5/6 cable to try updating via hardwire rather than over Wifi, as suggested previously in this thread.  I tried to update firmware again, both via the automatically pushed updates (after factory resetting the hardware, removing from the ObiTalk dashboard, etc) and via manual push (firmware file and accessing device via IP address).

I still got nothin'.  Firmware update won't take, and I am stuck on 5.0.0, Build: 2755.1311.

Does anyone know anything else that might be worth trying, or should I consider my two handsets bricked at this point?   ??? :'(

drgeoff

It's a long shot but try using a different browser to manually update the OBi's firmware.

atxguy24

Not a bad idea; thanks.  Just looked at my hardware, and now it's not powered on and has a red light illuminated at the top right.  No idea if this happened after attempting an update or if entirely unrelated/the hardware just bonked out.

Is this thing officially a brick now?