News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disable dial tone after call ends

Started by payphone, September 01, 2018, 11:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

payphone

If i stay on the line after a caller hangs up, I will get a new dial tone. Is there a way to disable this?

SteveInWA

Yes.  Hang up.  What on earth do you mean otherwise?  Why would you want to keep listening to the phone after the call ends?  No telephone service works that way.

payphone

I figured out how to do this, posting instructions:

1. Go to Expert Configuration Mode
2. Under Physical Interfaces - Select Phone 1 (or your phone line port if different)
3. Under Calling Features, override "GenerateCPCSignal" in the dropdown to "Never"

You will now get a "fast busy" tone after a caller disconnects instead of a new dial tone.

N7AS

Why would anyone want to listen to a dial tone or a fast busy (reorder) tone? I can think of better things to listen to.
Take Steve's advice and just hang up.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

payphone

Thank you all for your warm welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that my purely technical question was so personally upsetting to some of you. ???

A_Friend

Quote from: N7AS on September 02, 2018, 12:04:51 PM
Why would anyone want to listen to a dial tone or a fast busy (reorder) tone? I can think of better things to listen to.

I think the answer is pretty obvious.  His African Grey Parrot, which could perfectly mimic DTMF tones, was placing random calls to her home country (Congo) whenever the speakerphone was off-hook with a dial tone.

A_Friend

Quote from: payphone on September 02, 2018, 02:10:07 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that my purely technical question was so personally upsetting to some of you. ???

Sorry about that.  In their way, I'm pretty sure they were trying to be helpful.  Quite often, it seems, people ask questions that require some clarification.  To the point, I guess, where some of our more senior/experienced members don't always feel they should answer the simple question that was actually asked.

I do hope you'll stick around, though.  You clearly seem technically minded and could probably help others.

If I had to guess why you were asking about suppressing a secondary dial tone, I would wonder if it had something to do with your screen name.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on September 02, 2018, 02:21:59 PM
Quote from: N7AS on September 02, 2018, 12:04:51 PM

I think the answer is pretty obvious.  His African Grey Parrot, which could perfectly mimic DTMF tones, was placing random calls to her home country (Congo) whenever the speakerphone was off-hook with a dial tone.
I believe it is not possible for a single undoctored human or animal voice to emulate Dual Tone Multi Frequency.

payphone

Quote from: drgeoff on September 02, 2018, 03:36:29 PM
I believe it is not possible for a single undoctored human or animal voice to emulate Dual Tone Multi Frequency.

So what you're saying is I need two parrots to pull this off...

payphone

Quote from: A_Friend on September 02, 2018, 02:43:05 PM
Sorry about that.  In their way, I'm pretty sure they were trying to be helpful.  Quite often, it seems, people ask questions that require some clarification.  To the point, I guess, where some of our more senior/experienced members don't always feel they should answer the simple question that was actually asked.

I do hope you'll stick around, though.  You clearly seem technically minded and could probably help others.

If I had to guess why you were asking about suppressing a secondary dial tone, I would wonder if it had something to do with your screen name.

I do have a pay phone hooked up to my Obi (personal, just as a hobby not for business use) and yes, by having a dial tone after the other party hangs up it would allow someone to bypass the phone's security and allow for additional calls to be placed without the phone being able to enforce it's dial restrictions. For some reason the phone's "anti-fraud" setting doesn't detect the second dial tone and interrupt it like it's supposed to. Nobody is making pay phone boards anymore so I doubt the manufacturer will have any firmware updates to fix this :)  And not that it matters for personal use, but I figured I might as well make it authentic, since it was probably just a setting somewhere on the Obi (which it was).

Also, from what I recall from the olden days of actually having a "real" land line, my provider never provided a dial tone after the other party hung up, so it was just weird/unexpected behavior to me. And there's been a few automated systems that I've called in to that drop the call unexpectedly, and I'd rather know this by hearing a busy tone vs. a dial tone blasting into my ear.

A_Friend

Quote from: payphone on September 03, 2018, 07:22:01 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on September 02, 2018, 03:36:29 PM

So what you're saying is I need two parrots to pull this off...

Definitely, if their voice boxes were merely sinusoidal wave generators.  They're not.  They're actually pretty complex and can generate a bunch of waveforms, from sawtooth, to the human voice. So who knows if they can hit a harmonic that would fool a switching circuit.  I picked "African Grey" as a joke, mostly because if they could phone home, it would be pretty expensive.  But, poking around Youtube, found some very fun videos of talented parrots.  No touchtones yet, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Anyway, just wanted to lighten the mood.  Thanks for playing along.  :-)