News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two numbers and missed calls from the 1st number is going to the 2nd number

Started by PadPal, September 03, 2018, 08:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadPal

I sent SteveInWA a personal message with my two numbers but I have yet to receive any response if the matter has been looked into. I assume they were not read? I was told he'd most likely be my only real hope of getting this issue solved.

I believe I may need someone from Google Voice to look into this strange issue?

Here is the issue I have two numbers and missed calls from the 1st number is going to the 2nd number. Even voicemail sometimes. This just sorta started happening one evening out of the blue?

Now here is what's really funny I have removed the forwarding phone numbers and Obi devices from both numbers and this still happens which makes me think something is still stuck behind the scenes?

It's like both numbers are call forwarding to each other but it's hidden? Very odd.

Can you please forward this to a higher up at Google Voice to look at? Or point me where to get in contact?

Please keep me posted what caused this issue and when it'll be fixed. This has been driving me bonkers. I think this happens when the line is in use it forwards to the other number and again happens even when the obi and forwarding phones are removed.

So frustrating.Thank you. I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

I never had issues like this where I needed this looked into. Things always just worked.

SteveInWA

Hi:

I don't recall reading and responding to your private messages, but I see them now (perhaps the notifier for private messages is broken, or I just forgot).

Both of the numbers you posted privately are Google Voice numbers.  It's impossible to directly forward one Google Voice number to another Google Voice number.  I don't understand what you did to get into this state.

I think what you're saying is that you have two different Google Voice phone numbers, and you had set them up on two different OBiTALK devices (e.g. two different OBi 200 or 202)?  Did somebody or did you make changes to the OBiTALK configuration, such that one box would forward calls to the other?

Now here is what's funny I have removed the forwarding phone numbers and Obi devices from both numbers and this still happens which makes me think something is still stuck behind the scenes?

No, Google never forwards one GV number to another.  It sounds like you have inadvertently created a call forwarding loop.

With both OBi devices powered off, does this really still happen?

PadPal

Only 1 Obi device. An Obi200.

The second number currently has no cell number set as a forwarding number or connected to the Obihai device currently and if someone calls the first number while I'm in the call it's still going to the second number. It's very bizarre.

I have had both Google Voice numbers have the obi device removed and cell phone forwarding number removed and the Obi200 factory reset.

I don't know what to do about this can you forward this issue to someone who works behind the scenes to look at this please?

I checked and neither the first or second Google Voice number is being forwarded to the other which is why I am reaching out for help.

SteveInWA

No, I am not going to forward this to anyone at Google.  There is simply no way for one Google Voice number to forward to another Google Voice number.  Period.

Are these two Google Voice numbers both on the same Google account, or on two separate accounts?

SteveInWA

Make absolutely sure that SP1 is configured with Google account (Gmail address) #1, and SP2 is configured with Google account #2.

Use the OBiTALK dashboard.  Click on SP1.  Get past the pop-up about emergency calling.  On the next page, look at the "Active Google username".  Make sure it is for Google Voice number 1.  If it isn't, fix it.  Repeat with SP2.  You must not have the same username on both SPs.

PadPal

Sir I already told you this is happening with the Obi device and cell phone forwarding number removed from the second number. It currently has no forwarding numbers or devices attached to it yet this issue is still happening.

The only thing in SP1 is the main number and nothing else. Yes it was already checked that SP1 and 2 were set to the correct accounts when SP2 was added before I removed it.

SteveInWA

For the final time:  I have been supporting users on Google Voice for nearly a decade.  I thoroughly know how the service works.  It is completely impossible for one Google Voice phone number to forward to another Google Voice phone number, without some advanced, extreme trickery.  You do not have a Google Voice problem.

This is my last troubleshooting suggestion:

• Go to the OBiTALK dashboard.  Click on your OBiTALK device. On the next page, click the blue "Delete device" button and confirm that's what you want to do.  Wait for the device to blinky blinky until the left-most LED (the power LED) is on solid and the middle LED (Internet) is flickering.
  • Unplug the device from power.  Unplug the Ethernet cable.  Turn it upside-down on a flat surface.  Straighten out a paper clip.  Find the small raised circular bump with a hole in it.  This is the recessed reset switch.  Gently insert the paper clip end, and gently depress the switch until you feel a click.  Hold it in that position with one hand, resting the heel of that hand on the OBi to steady it.  Insert the power cable with the other hand.  Count out at least ten seconds.  Release the paper clip.  Turn the box over and watch it go through restoring the device to factory defaults.  When the LEDs stabilize as in the first step above, pull the power plug.  Insert the Ethernet cable.  Insert the power plug.
  • After it boots up again, go to the OBiTALK dashboard and add the device back to your account, then set up only ONE of the two Google Voice accounts, on SP1.
  • Make an outbound call to some other phone number, NOT the other Google Voice number.  Confirm that the called phone's caller ID display shows the correct caller ID.  If not, you've made a mistake.  If so, then call that Google Voice number from some other, unrelated phone number, NOT the other Google Voice number, and NOT a linked forwarding number.  The OBi-attached phone should ring.  Answer and confirm it works.  Hang up.  Repeat the inbound call, but this time, let it ring until it goes to voicemail, and leave a test message.  Confirm that it goes to the same Google account that you set up.  Prove this by signing into that account, and find the voicemail message.
  • If this works, then configure SP2 with the other Google Voice account, and repeat all of the same tests.  What happens?

A_Friend

Under Service Providers SP1 and SP2, see what you have set for InboundCallRoute.  (If this is an Obi200, should be just {ph}.  If an Obi202, probably {ph1} on one and {ph2} on the other.)  Then scroll down to the Call Forwarding section on the same page(s) and see if anything is set, other than the default checks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on September 04, 2018, 10:28:48 PM
Under Service Providers SP1 and SP2, see what you have set for InboundCallRoute.  (If this is an Obi200, should be just {ph}.  If an Obi202, probably {ph1} on one and {ph2} on the other.)  Then scroll down to the Call Forwarding section on the same page(s) and see if anything is set, other than the default checks.

This is completely unnecessary.  The OBiTALK portal sets the correct values automatically.  Furthermore, the OP is following troubleshooting steps that include completely deleting the OBi device and its configuration off of the portal,  then re-adding it.  This resets ALL settings to default, and the portal then properly customizes them.

Stop posting ignorant answers.

PadPal

I was about to report that it worked however when I was out I called someone back just as they called me and they ended up going to voicemail on the 2nd line.

Also the other day I got two missed called displayed under the 2nd number as well when they were calling my 1st number.

I have two Google Voice numbers forwarding to my cell number? Then again how could that be causing it considering they are just for forwarding any calls to my cell?

What's going on? This is quite frustrating. Like I said this was also happening when I removed all the call forwarding on the second number too. That's correct I removed the Obihai and cell number under forwarding and this was still happening. Something you claim is impossible to happen.

I'm not sure what else to do? I just want this issue to be looked at and fixed. I have tried everything. Unless you know of another thing to try?

PadPal

Yes sir. I followed each instruction to exactly what you had directed me to do.

I apologize for not adding that in my last post.

SteveInWA

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong.  You said "I have two Google Voice numbers forwarding to my cell number?"

You keep posting things that are impossible to do.  You cannot forward one Google Voice number to another one, and you cannot forward two different Google Voice numbers to the same cell phone number.  I don't know what you have done to screw this up, but it is not a Google Voice problem.

PadPal

Like I have already stated this issue even happened when I removed the call forwarding of the 2nd number. Even 1st when testing with a Hangouts call.

You could always forward two numbers to a Cell line by setting them to Home instead of Mobile since Mobile was just used for text forwarding anyways. Or verifying by voice instead of text when adding them.

Now you know why I was asking if say a Google Voice Engineer could look behind the scenes of these two numbers and see what is wrong?

This appears to be beyond things I can try to fix myself unless you or someone else knows of something else I could try.

SteveInWA

You said You said "I have two Google Voice numbers forwarding to my cell number?"

Again:  you can't do that.  If you changed the phone type to "home" or "work", then you broke text messaging.

It sounds like you have set up call forwarding on the cell phone to forward busy or unanswered calls back to the wrong account.  In other words, Google Voice number 1 forwards to the cell phone number.  You programmed the cell phone to send busy or unanswered calls back to Google Voice number 2.  Don't do that.  Disable call forwarding on your cell phone and repeat the tests.

PadPal

No sir I did not setup any call forwarding from my Cell Phone. I also checked and my Cell service does not allow call forwarding.

I was referring to have the Google Voice numbers forwarded. Yes sir you can do that and I explained to you two ways you can in fact do that and I will explain again.

Method 1: Use Legacy page to add phone and select it as Home and not Mobile. Or add it as Mobile and later change it to Home.

Method 2: Add number in current GV page and select verify by voice instead of by Text.

Go ahead and try this yourself if you have more than one number.

It only disables Text forwarding to a cell number it doesn't matter if you use the Google Voice app for Texting over cell phone data or wireless spots.

Again I cannot add a number for call forwarding on my Cell number.

For the final time if I remove all forwarding options for both numbers and make a Hangout call on line 1. This would still happen. Somehow something got mucked up behind the scenes which is why I am reaching out to you for help.

Crow550

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2018, 07:03:51 PM
Sorry, I don't know what's wrong.  You said "I have two Google Voice numbers forwarding to my cell number?"

You keep posting things that are impossible to do.  You cannot forward one Google Voice number to another one, and you cannot forward two different Google Voice numbers to the same cell phone number.  I don't know what you have done to screw this up, but it is not a Google Voice problem.

This link from the Official Google Voice Forums explains how to do that: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/dOH_Np6Uf88

You even liked the post!  :-\ What the hell man?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Crow550 on September 19, 2018, 07:15:01 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2018, 07:03:51 PM

This link from the Official Google Voice Forums explains how to do that: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/dOH_Np6Uf88

You even liked the post!  :-\ What the hell man?

What the hell, man?   Read the #$%@#! posts.  You cannot forward a Google Voice number to a mobile number, but you can lie to Google Voice and classify that mobile number as a "work" or "home" number.  If you do that, you are telling Google Voice that it is a land line, not a mobile number.  This disables text messaging, which the large majority of users would not find acceptable.  We just post that workaround for the few users who don't use their Google Voice numbers for SMS/MMS.  The fact that this setting is not in the new Google Voice user interface should give you a hint as to how little it is used.

Crow550

The user here already said that to you. Then even said with the new UI you just have it verify by voice and it sets it to Home instead of Mobile that way.

Text forwarding is not important if you use the Google Voice app over Data / Wifi anyways....

The user also said they do not and cannot setup call forwarding on there Cell phone and even when removing the forwarding numbers from both Google Voice numbers if one number is in use in Hangouts voice while someone else tries to call it will goto the other number even when both numbers have no Cell or Obi device listed as forwarding for either number!

It sounds like to me that maybe something screwy behind the scenes is going on?

What else could it be? They removed and readded call forwarding stuff and factory reset the Obi and still have issues....