News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 + Google Voice: outgoing caller ID incorrect

Started by paulbart1234, September 04, 2018, 06:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbart1234

Hello -

I've had Obi for quite a while now (started with Obi 100, now have 200).  It's always been associated with the same Google Voice account.

Tonight, I noticed that when I make a call from the phone connected to my Obi 200 (to my cell phone, for example), the caller ID shown on my cell phone is bogus (a completely different area code/phone number (from Greenville SC according to my iPhone)).  If I call that number back from my iPhone, I get a recording about it being disconnected.

If I call my *real* home (Obi) phone number from my cell phone, my home (Obi) phone rings.

I thought it could be a Google Voice issue, but if I go to voice.google.com on my PC and make a call from the same account that's associated with my Obi to my cell phone (using "Hangouts" option to dial-out), my cell phone rings and the caller ID is correct.

So, this doesn't seem related to GV's use of "relay" numbers (as I had initially thought).  GV is clearly capable of making a VoIP call with the correct caller ID.  But, Obi's use of Google Voice doesn't seem to do this correctly.  I'm sure it used to - although I don't remember when it last worked.

I've gone to my Obi account page and re-associated with my GV account (giving it permission to access all my GV information) - it's still not working.

Any ideas?

I tried searching through these forums - didn't come up with anything that seemed to be the same issue I'm seeing.

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Paul

A_Friend

Not sure if it will help, but could you post the value of two fields you'll find under Physical Interfaces/Phone1 Port: PrimaryLine and OutboundCallRoute?

Also, under Status/System Status, you'll find four fields, each showing Service Status under each of the four main voice services, SP1, SP2, SP3, and SP4.  Please post those, too.

Thanks.

paulbart1234

Thanks for the quick reply.

Physical Interfaces:

Primary Line: SP2 service (with exclamation point indicator)

OutboundCallRoute (with exclamation point indicator):

{911:sp2},{933:sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

I've never touched these (never gone into "expert mode") should it be "SP1 service"??  I tried clicking on the "SP2 service" dropdown - it seems to be disabled (maybe I need to enable 'edit' first?)

For the SP[1234] status, I see:

SP1 - Google Voice - Connected
SP2 - Anveo - Registered
SP3 - Not Configured
SP4 - Not Configured
BT1 - Not Configured
BT2 - Not Configured
OBILine - Not Configured

paulbart1234

Interesting:

I made a call from my home phone to my cell phone (again), answered the call, and left the call open.

Then I went to the "System Status" page.  It showed "0 Active Calls" under "SP1 Service Status", and "1 Active Calls" under "SP2 Service Status".

So, I guess it's defaulting to use SP2 instead of SP1??

Any suggestions on how to change to default to SP1?  Will this break "911" calling (which is on SP2/Anveo)?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Yes, clearly, you are not making that call using Google Voice.

Sign into your OBiTALK web portal.  Click on your OBi 200.  Click on the SP1.  Check the box to make that SP the default for outbound calls.

paulbart1234

Thank you!! That fixed it!

I guess I should have found that before.  It didn't occur to me that I was using the wrong service provider - I just assumed it was a Google Voice/Obi compatibility issue.

Thanks again!!

- Paul

SteveInWA

My pleasure.

Be sure to use the OBiTALK web portal for any future configuration changes, vs. the local web page on your OBi device.

paulbart1234

I have always used the OBiTALK the web portal (wasn't aware of a web configuration page on the device itself  :) )

A_Friend

Quote from: paulbart1234 on September 04, 2018, 08:09:43 PM
Will this break "911" calling (which is on SP2/Anveo)?

Nope.  You're good to go.  The 911 route is defined in your OutboundCallRoute to use SP2/Anveo no matter how your PrimaryLine is set.

There is still one oddity I'm curious about.  You say when you call that caller ID number, you get a non-working number?  Is your Anveo service outbound only, or did you order a telephone number from them (a.k.a. "DID")?

If no DID, you might want to ask Anveo if they can set your outbound caller ID on that trunk to your incoming number.  I think Emergency Services may need to be able to call you back.

paulbart1234

Quote from: A_Friend on September 04, 2018, 09:57:51 PM
There is still one oddity I'm curious about.  You say when you call that caller ID number, you get a non-working number?  Is your Anveo service outbound only, or did you order a telephone number from them (a.k.a. "DID")?

If no DID, you might want to ask Anveo if they can set your outbound caller ID on that trunk to your incoming number.  I think Emergency Services may need to be able to call you back.

My Anveo service is (supposed to be) "911-only".  I'm surprised they let me make arbitrary outbound phone calls.

You make a good point about caller ID when I call 911 - 911 should be able to call me back.  I'll contact Anveo and see what they say about that.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on September 04, 2018, 09:57:51 PM
Quote from: paulbart1234 on September 04, 2018, 08:09:43 PM
Will this break "911" calling (which is on SP2/Anveo)?

Nope.  You're good to go.  The 911 route is defined in your OutboundCallRoute to use SP2/Anveo no matter how your PrimaryLine is set.

For the love of God, stop making up answers.  You have no idea what you are talking about.

Given that you keep describing how to manage the device via the local interface, you apparently have no understanding of how the OBiTALK portal works.  There is no reason whatsoever to manually modify the outbound call route, because the portal does that automatically, when the user simply check-marks the box to use a selected SPx for emergency calling.

Furthermore, you have no understanding of how Anveo (and Callcentric) work with their E911 service provider, to configure emergency calling.  There is no option to have Anveo set your inbound number as the caller ID.  The service uses a specially-assigned telephone number, which will display on the PSAP operator's screen.  This will not be the same as any DID on that service provider.  This is specifically done so that, should the user call via a SIP registration that does not have an associated DID, a valid DID will be sent to the PSAP.  The operator can then call the person back on that number, if the call gets disconnected.  Anveo (or Callcentric) know which customer has been assigned that special phone number, and thus, can route the call back to that customer.  The OP described this behavior: a strange/different caller ID is being sent on calls made via the Anveo SPx, because that is how the E911 system works.

The way to validate and test that E911 calling is properly set up is to call the test number, 933.  After a short delay, the system will read back the street address that was set up for this account, confirming that the service is active and properly working.  During this check, the system will read back the randomly-assigned phone number.  There is no action required by the user, once this is set up.

dboling

E911 explanation via Callcentric support ticket system.

For each client with 911, we have a separate hidden DID / phone number that is associated with their account as not all customers purchase DIDs from us. This number is shown on the 911 dispatchers screen and is used in case they have to call you back. Please note that the number is only active for a period of time after calling 911.

It is not possible to modify the caller ID that is shown on the 911 dispatchers end.
-Diane

SteveInWA

Quote from: dboling on September 12, 2018, 07:13:50 PM
E911 explanation via Callcentric support ticket system.

For each client with 911, we have a separate hidden DID / phone number that is associated with their account as not all customers purchase DIDs from us. This number is shown on the 911 dispatchers screen and is used in case they have to call you back. Please note that the number is only active for a period of time after calling 911.

It is not possible to modify the caller ID that is shown on the 911 dispatchers end.

Exactly.