News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 with Google Voice Stopped Working

Started by eddie77, September 06, 2018, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie77

Google suggested I enable "allow less secure apps" and change my password.  Gmail stopped working so I changed to disable secure apps.  Gmail now works but my Obi 200 does not.  Both green lights are on and the voice call back works.  When I dial a number I get:
"The number was not received a response from the service provider."
The only change is a new password.
When I try to log in to Google Voice I get a thinking green circle.
Please help.

SteveInWA

No, nobody at Google suggested that you allow less secure apps.

You need to remove the Google Voice configuration from the OBi device and add it back again.

Follow my instructions here, following every step, in order:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

nycking

Hi Steve - I see u logged in so hopefully you can help. I started with OBI 202 (new) just a month ago. Had 3 GV accounts sucessfully working since then. Just in last 4-5 days its been giving issues. I initially noticed extended periods (like 2-5 hrs) when line goes dead. SInce this morning its completely dead. Email exhcnages with OBI support did no good...just general stupid stuff like switch to paid provider maybe as GV is free..it may be down.

What would you recommend? reprovisioning it from scratch?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Where did you see that I was "online"?  I wasn't until just now, 16:40 PT.

Anyhow, there isn't enough known from your description to begin to guess what is causing the problem.

Unplug the OBiTALK device from power.  Open a laptop/desktop computer's web browser.  If you're using Google Chrome Browser, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an "incognito" browsing window.  If you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a "private" browsing window.

In that window, sign into one of the three Google/Gmail accounts, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Look at the top of the page.  Do you see your inbound Google Voice phone number?  If not stop; this is either the wrong Gmail account or the number was deleted or reclaimed.  If you do see it, then look at the list of "My Devices" just below it.  Do you see a row for your OBiTALK device?  If not, you didn't set it up properly.  Scroll down further, to the "Calls" section.  Find the OBiTALK device, and ensure that it's switch it toggled on (green).

Close settings, and, on the main Google Voice web page, click the telephone handset icon to get to:

https://voice.google.com/calls

Click the green handset labeled "Make a call".  Call some phone number.  Does that work?  If so, call your Google Voice number back, from the number you just called.  Does the call ring in your browser?

If all of this is working correctly, then close the incognito/private window, open a new incognito/private window, and sign in to the next Google account, and repeat the tests.

reek

Log in to your Gmail account through a web browser and enable access through less secure apps . Less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it's not being used. However, bypass this security setting with a configuration tweak within your Google Email Account .

How "more secure apps" help to protect your account?

Which level of access you're giving the client before you connect your Account.
Client access only a relevant part of your Account, like your email or calendar.
Connect your Google Account to the client without exposing your password.
Disconnect your Google Account from the client at any time