News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it possible to format Caller ID display?

Started by LoneRangir, September 07, 2011, 07:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneRangir

Is it possible to customize the Caller ID information?  Right now, a number is displayed like this:

It would be great if it showed up similar to this:
    1(613)555-1234 or 1-613-555-1234

That would make it easier for me to realize who is actually calling, since the name information is not given, like it was with my old land line.  This is lame, but I do not know anyone's phone number anymore.  I've gotten very dependent on Caller ID telling me who is calling.

RonR

Are you using the same telephone on the OBi that you used with your old landline?

My telephone (a Vtech DS6321) displays CallerID from the OBi as 1-760-705-8888.

LoneRangir

Same phone.  I was able to scroll back to the Caller ID on the phone and it changed from the old, preferred format to the new run-on format the same day I deployed the Obi.

RonR

You might check the documentation for your phone to see if it has any display options.

I'm not aware of any options in the OBi to change its display format.

LoneRangir

RonR

As best I can tell, all CallerID formatting is done by your phone.

Scroll to a CallerID on your phone that you don't like.   Then press the # key and see if you can change the format to one you lke better.

LoneRangir

After thinking about this for a while, I'm not sure I buy into the fact that all formatting is done by the phone.  One day it was formatted with the parentheses and dash, and the next day (when I switched to the Obi) it was formatted differently.  My actual phone did not change, just the provider. So, not all the formatting is done by the phone, perhaps some. 

By pressing the one button, I could add a leading '1' to the beginning of the number.  But since the Obi already adds a leading '1', it actually displays an invalid phone number, I can't redial from the phone from the Obi, since it now adds two preceding 1s.

Is there any way to ask a firmware programmer this question?

jimates

I think the preceding 1 that the Obi puts in the caller id breaks the phone's formatting ability. If it were just the area code and not the 1 the phone would handle it ok.

I have a Uniden phone and I can program my area code in the phone's menu. Without the 1 in the caller id the phone will drop the area code on local calls and only display 7 digits. If I don't program the area code the phone will display all 10 digits for all calls. With the 1 in the caller id my phone ignores everything and displays all 11 digits for every call.

The phone does still match the number to my contact list and displays the name, even if I have only 7 digits as the number for the contact.

I thought this was just a Google Voice issue maybe not. In google voice every number that is not already in your contact list is displayed as 11 digits so this is likely the way it is delivered to the Obi.

Originally the Obi also displayed the same 11 digits for the caller name. We asked for the name display to be removed and also for the preceding 1 to  be dropped from the caller id back in September. Obihai did remove the caller name display but never addressed the other request.

LoneRangir

I tried adding my cell phone both in my speed dial for the home phone and as a GV contact.  Neither of these worked with the number formatting or for name display. 

Is there a way to get names to show up in the CallerID?

jimates

The caller id name & number info is delivered from 2 different places. The number is sent along with the call from the service that the call originated with. The name is provided by the receiving service through lookup.

I only deal with google voice and a NetTalk Duo for my LINE provider.

Google, as the receiving service, does not provide caller id name, so the Obi cannot display it. My NetTalk service only gives me generic info for the name such as cellular or the state.

LoneRangir

At this point, I'd settle for the number to be formatted so I can see area code and the seven digits separated.  I have an old Uniden phone.  Is there a way, other than buying a new phone, to get this to happen?

To recap, I have GV and Obi 110.

infin8loop

It appears the callerid display device formats the number according to it's own liking:

For instance (devices I have):
1. AT&T 993 2-line desk phone with display shows all numbers as 1aaa-1234567 (see update note below)
2. Vtech IA5878 wireless system handsets with display shows calls to my google voice # as 1-aaa-123-4567 and other calls as aaa-123-4567
3.  BellSouth Caller ID System (stand alone box) shows all numbers as aaa-123-1234 (applicable only to POTS line, a museum piece?)

I'm not aware of any options on any of these particular devices nor google voice that changes the way the callerid number is formatted.  I would guess that when the callerid number is delivered it is a string of digits with no formatting.  

update: I discovered that by adding the 3 area codes in my area to the AT&T 933 in the Caller ID part of the settings and leaving the "home" area code blank that calls from those area codes show up in the caller id display as aaa-1234567 without the leading "1".  I leave the "home" area code blank because that area code would be auto dialed as 7 digits and that doesn't work after 10-digit dialing was implemented.  This isn't exactly fool-proof because some calls within the 3 area codes in my area (depending on distance I guess) are long distance and require the leading "1".  And some metro numbers with an area code that is outside the 3 area codes are not long distance and don't require the leading "1" but still show up with the leading "1".  This is exhausting.        
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

LoneRangir

Thanks everyone for your input. It's quite clear that the phone does the formatting. However, it seems like Uniden ohones might do a better job at formatting if the preceeding 1 was not transmitted.  Is there a way to ge this removed? Sounds like this is an oustanding request from the community.  Perhaps a mode bit in the firmware? I have two Uiniden phones, and I'm not that interested in purchasing a third.

jimates

Me too. I have 3 Obi's with Uniden phones, total of 8 handsets. I do not want to switch.

ProfTech

I believe the "1" prefix is not being added by the Obi. It is sent by your VOIP service provider. I communicated with Callcentric regarding this and was informed that they send the "1" so that the user can return a call simply by pressing "call this person back". The one is required for every call [11 digits] with Callcentric so they thought it would be convenient for them to add it. If they didn't, it would have to be added on your end in order to return a call. While this would be simple with an Obi, it would not be for every different ATA. Callcentric sends the full name, when it is available.