News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 200 persistent "Connect Failed: No Response" trying to add GV

Started by jjk73, September 10, 2018, 06:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 08, 2018, 10:34:47 AM
And you are all posting in the wrong thread!  This one was about failure to configure GV on an OBi.  Not the same thing as GV was working but now does not.

THIS.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on December 08, 2018, 09:05:52 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 08, 2018, 08:41:46 AM
This does not seem to be affecting everyone.  At the time of typing this, I have an OBi200 with GV showing "Connected".
On the Google Voice forums all kinds of people are complaining that call screening is now mandatory (can't turn it off) and that calling your own GV number and then pressing 2 to make an outbound call no longer works. I have none of these issues. I don't get it.

There are two separate (new) issues.

First:  Google made an infrastructure change that is causing major problems with DTMF recognition.  They know about it.  I have no info as to when it'll get fixed; it was NOT intentional.

Second:  There was an intentional change to the name presentation sub-feature of call screening:

• The legacy check mark to enable name presentation is now ignored/non-functional.
  • Instead, if call screening is enabled, then all calls will be screened, and the GV user will hear the press 1 / press 2 prompt, and they will hear a text-to-speech playback of the caller's name.
    • IF the calling number is a) in your Google Contacts, or b) is a business known to Google (e.g. it is on Google Maps with a pop-out sidebar of information), THEN the caller won't be asked for their name.
    • IF the calling number is not in your Google Contacts, nor a known business, then the caller will be prompted for their name every time they call.  Their spoken name is no longer stored for future use.

It's more confusing to describe than to actually hear it in action.

Example 1:  John Sample is in my contacts.  John calls my GV number.  He won't hear any prompt to speak his name.  I will hear "call from John Sample; press 1 to accept or press 2 to send to voicemail" (paraphrasing).

Example 2:  Mary Sample is not in my contacts.  Mary calls my GV number.  GV will ask her to say her name.  I will hear "call from <whatever she said>; press 1 to accept..."

Example 3:  I turn off call screening.  No calls will be screened at all.

MsObi

Quote from: DrLee on December 08, 2018, 09:56:42 AM
I'm down today too.  The OBi dashboard shows "Connect failed: no response" for SP1 and SP2.

Calls from my cell phone to my wife's GV number do ring her cell phone but not the home phone.  So at least the GV call forwarding to the cell phone works.  And from my cell phone I used the tested calls from both the cell phone number and from Google Voice app (my usual default) and both rang the cell phone but not OBi phone.

I've restarted my router and OBi box several times this morning but it hasn't fixed it.

Oh, and I can't make outgoing calls through the OBi.  I get " The number you dialed <number> has not received a response from the service provider"

It's the same message for me too today. My Obi connection had been working fine for last many years. I think it's either an issue with Obihai, or may be Google has done some changes at their end making Obi incompatible with G Voice. I hope it's not the latter.

SteveInWA

Quote from: MsObi on December 08, 2018, 05:17:09 PM
Quote from: DrLee on December 08, 2018, 09:56:42 AM
I'm down today too.  The OBi dashboard shows "Connect failed: no response" for SP1 and SP2.

Calls from my cell phone to my wife's GV number do ring her cell phone but not the home phone.  So at least the GV call forwarding to the cell phone works.  And from my cell phone I used the tested calls from both the cell phone number and from Google Voice app (my usual default) and both rang the cell phone but not OBi phone.

I've restarted my router and OBi box several times this morning but it hasn't fixed it.

Oh, and I can't make outgoing calls through the OBi.  I get " The number you dialed <number> has not received a response from the service provider"

It's the same message for me too today. My Obi connection had been working fine for last many years. I think it's either an issue with Obihai, or may be Google has done some changes at their end making Obi incompatible with G Voice. I hope it's not the latter.

Why are you quoting an unrelated post from some other person in this discussion?  If your OBiTALK device isn't making or receiving calls, and you can't wait, then the ideal solution would be to go into your home router's settings and set it to use a better pair of DNS servers than the ones it is using from your ISP.

Use either Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or the Quad9 DNS at 9.9.9.9

DrLee

I changed DNS (8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9) and restarted my OBi 200 but still doesn't work.  No incoming or outgoing calls.  Dashboard says "Connect Failed: No Response"

I see some host names in the configuration.  Should I be able to ping obihai.sip.google.com and/or obihai.telephony.goog ?  For both of those I get "Ping request could not find host".  But some servers don't respond to pings.

Are there some OBi troubleshooting steps I do by dialing codes on that phone?  I set his box up years ago and don't remember much about it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chronoblast on December 08, 2018, 01:44:54 PM
@drgeoff - thanks for the correction. What is the right thread?

There is no one "right thread" at this point.  As is typical when there is an outage, there are now too many other threads redundantly discussing your issue (which is not the issue in this thread).  Just look at the discussion thread list and pick one.

mnjeepmale

I have two GV lines on my Obi202 and both lines show the same thing. Guess no fix at this time.

SteveInWA

Quote from: mnjeepmale on December 10, 2018, 09:11:26 AM
I have two GV lines on my Obi202 and both lines show the same thing. Guess no fix at this time.

What do you mean, "no fix at this time"?  The fix is to change your DNS settings.

mnjeepmale

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 10, 2018, 11:15:15 AM
Quote from: mnjeepmale on December 10, 2018, 09:11:26 AM

What do you mean, "no fix at this time"?  The fix is to change your DNS settings.

I went into Expert Mode and took out the Google DNS(8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.) and it worked.