News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 200 persistent "Connect Failed: No Response" trying to add GV

Started by jjk73, September 10, 2018, 06:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjk73

I've tried and failed to correct this, so I'm looking for help.  Thanks in advance.

I created a new Google account, ported my home phone to verizon then to that GV account.  Bought and hooked up the Obi200 per instructions.  Added device to account, tried to add the GV account and got a message that said "No registration required", followed later by "Connect Failed: No Response". 

I gave it 2 days.  Nothing.  I removed connected apps on the google account, removed the device from my obinet account, did factory reset of the box, waited, re-added the device, and repeated the setup for the google account.  Got the same exact error.

Echo test works fine.  I have a green dot next to the OBI200 on the dashboard.  I can call into and out of the GV just fine. 

A few things that seem like they may be issues:
1.  I did NOT initially do a test call from the google account PRIOR to trying to setup the OBI.  Only saw that part in the various troubleshooting topics i've been reading the last few days.  Have since done this, and all the resets/reboots have come after.

2.  I see this error in my GV legacy page:  "Shortanswer RPC has errors. Code: ANSWER_NOT_FOUND".  This is seen in a popup, when you hover over a "?" that is next to GoogleContacts.

3.  I do not see a "Google Chat" listed as a forwarding target.  I did see something like "obidevice:185r7239329" listed.  As part of my attempt to rebuild/reset, I deleted that.  It did NOT get recreated.

4.  Prior to my rebuild/reset, when I would log off Obitalk site, when logging back in I would get an error saying something to the effect of 'trouble connecting to google, ensure that you do not have a fi account connected to your gv'.

Thats all I can think of for now.  I really have read a lot, tried a lot, and am at a standstill.  Thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: jjk73 on September 10, 2018, 06:42:10 PM
I've tried and failed to correct this, so I'm looking for help.  Thanks in advance.

I created a new Google account, ported my home phone to verizon then to that GV account.  Bought and hooked up the Obi200 per instructions.  Added device to account, tried to add the GV account and got a message that said "No registration required", followed later by "Connect Failed: No Response". 

I gave it 2 days.  Nothing.  I removed connected apps on the google account, removed the device from my obinet account, did factory reset of the box, waited, re-added the device, and repeated the setup for the google account.  Got the same exact error.

Echo test works fine.  I have a green dot next to the OBI200 on the dashboard.  I can call into and out of the GV just fine. 

A few things that seem like they may be issues:
1.  I did NOT initially do a test call from the google account PRIOR to trying to setup the OBI.  Only saw that part in the various troubleshooting topics i've been reading the last few days.  Have since done this, and all the resets/reboots have come after.

2.  I see this error in my GV legacy page:  "Shortanswer RPC has errors. Code: ANSWER_NOT_FOUND".  This is seen in a popup, when you hover over a "?" that is next to GoogleContacts.

3.  I do not see a "Google Chat" listed as a forwarding target.  I did see something like "obidevice:185r7239329" listed.  As part of my attempt to rebuild/reset, I deleted that.  It did NOT get recreated.

4.  Prior to my rebuild/reset, when I would log off Obitalk site, when logging back in I would get an error saying something to the effect of 'trouble connecting to google, ensure that you do not have a fi account connected to your gv'.

Thats all I can think of for now.  I really have read a lot, tried a lot, and am at a standstill.  Thanks!

No obvious answer comes to mind immediately.  However, some of the symptoms you describe are probably "red herrings" (unrelated).  For example, during the major migration period, it was common to see the bogus "no registration required" message -- it was bogus.  The "Connect failed - no response" was often also a spurious message.

That RPC error is completely bogus.  In plain English, it's saying that it can't find the help text when you ask it to display it.  I've seen this error for a couple of years; Google isn't going to fix it because they have stopped maintaining the Legacy user interface. It's unrelated to any real problem with your account or your number.

Google Voice no longer uses Google Chat at all.  In fact, a script was run in July to delete every one of those off of all Google Voice configurations, so I don't know why you would still see that, unless you are in some alternate universe in another galaxy.  Instead, on the Legacy settings page, you should see one entry starting with "sip:BIHxxxxxxxxxxxxx"  (a long alphanumeric string ending with "===@obihai.sip.google.com").  If you don't see that, then something is seriously wrong.

Pick up the phone attached to the OBi.  Dial ***0 then 1# and write down the firmware build number it reads out to you.  It should be  3.2.2.5898.  Is it?

Is this a standard, consumer Gmail address (you@gmail.com)?  Do you, in fact, also have a Project Fi phone?  Where are you physically located right now?

jjk73

Confirmed that the firmware is .5898
I'm on standard gmail address
I do not have a project fi phone, had to google what that even was.
I'm physically located in Cincinnati, OH

TO clairfy, I don't actually see a Google Chat logo/option in GV, and never did see it.  However, many of the (apparently outdated) troubleshooting guides I looked at said that this had to be present and checked to work.  Mine wasn't present, so I figured this was my problem, and googled for ways to get it back (obvious to me now that you can't get it back, gone on purpose), and tried some of those methods without success.  That's part of what prompted me to stop trying on my own, and seek the experts advice.

Long story short, no, I don't have the SIP:BIHxxxxxxxxxxxxx anymore listed as a forward calls option in GV.  I deleted that when following the instructions to do a full reset, and it did not come back with the last re-install.

Of note, I have a separate gmail account, also personal, that I have a GV on.  Tried using that to setup a 2nd service provider, got exact same error of "Connect Failed: No response".  Also do not have a "SIP:BIHxxx" listing on that account created.  Does this translate to router or OBI200 issues?

SteveInWA

Thanks for the update.  Yes, the instructions are unfortunately outdated.

The failure you are experiencing is unusual.  I'm not clear what is causing it, but it could certainly be a router issue, or something really borked up in your OBi's configuration.

Is this a consumer (home) router connected to a consumer Internet Service Provider (ISP), like a cable or DSL or fiber optic service?  Do you have any special firewall rules or other security-related settings enabled?

Can you physically take the OBi and your laptop to some other location (friend or relative or neighbor's house), and try it there?

The "if all else fails" procedure is documented in the link below.  Even though you have already performed various portions of the procedure, please go through every single step, in order, and reply with the results:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

jjk73

I've got a Netgear XR500 hooked up to Spectrum/Time Warner cable internet.

When I first got the router, I watched a Youtube video regarding optimizing it for my kids gaming, don't even remember all the things that were done, but it wasn't extreme.  I think I added the xbox to the DMZ etc. 

Tonight I went into the router and tried to open the various UDP ports that are recommended by OBI, but I don't deal with that often, and can't guarantee that did that perfectly correct.  I did note that UPNP was not enabled, and turned that on.

I can take it physically somewhere else.  I guess I just hook it up to their router, plug a wired phone in, and login to my OBITalk account to see what happens?  Or should I delete the old SP's and try again?  If that works will it create the "SIP"BIHxxxxxxxxxxx" Setting on my GV account for me?

SteveInWA

Quote from: jjk73 on September 10, 2018, 08:38:27 PM
I've got a Netgear XR500 hooked up to Spectrum/Time Warner cable internet.

When I first got the router, I watched a Youtube video regarding optimizing it for my kids gaming, don't even remember all the things that were done, but it wasn't extreme.  I think I added the xbox to the DMZ etc. 

Tonight I went into the router and tried to open the various UDP ports that are recommended by OBI, but I don't deal with that often, and can't guarantee that did that perfectly correct.  I did note that UPNP was not enabled, and turned that on.

I can take it physically somewhere else.  I guess I just hook it up to their router, plug a wired phone in, and login to my OBITalk account to see what happens?  Or should I delete the old SP's and try again?  If that works will it create the "SIP"BIHxxxxxxxxxxx" Setting on my GV account for me?

My money is on some incorrect setting on your router causing this but I'm not going to try to guess what it is.

It's up to you, in terms of which things you do first.  If I was doing it, and I had a place I could do it, I would take the box and a telephone to the other location, plug it into their router, and then follow the complete procedure I outlined.  This would allow everything to be done on a different router, increasing the odds of it working.  If the end result is success over there, then it is a strong indication that your own router is screwed up.  I would factory reset my router and start over, not making any customization to your router.  It is not necessary, nor a good idea, to put the OBi in the router's DMZ nor open any ports, as long as you didn't lock down the router to such an extent that it is now blocking necessary ports or protocols.

There are not many things on a consumer-class router that need to be changed.  Typical cable Internet service has so much bandwidth that using QoS or other "optimizations" is unnecessary.

jjk73

Did a factory reset of my router, left everything default, and turned off power to our Disney Circle device - I had already added the Obi200 to the 'unmanaged' section of the circle, but want to remove all variables.

It connected nearly instantly.

I'm going to give it a few days, make sure all is stable, and then see what happens when reconnecting the Disney Circle device.

Not sure if it was the factory reset, or the turning off the Circle at this point.  Will figure it out later for posterity.

Thanks for all your help!

SteveInWA

Great!

My money's on the router configuration, not the Disney gizmo.

keithobri

I am having this same issue, has anyone figured out a fix?  I am using the Obi200, and it just happened to me today for the first time.

curtisghall

Quote from: keithobri on December 07, 2018, 07:21:47 PM
I am having this same issue, has anyone figured out a fix?  I am using the Obi200, and it just happened to me today for the first time.

me too on the same day as well, i wonder if it something on obitalk's end. cause it worked find for me i didn't change anything and then this happens out of nowhere

wuench

Same issue here as well.  Got a notification that service was not connected at 2am.   Now can't connect.   Sniffer trace shows connection to the proxy server but it fails during the SSL handshake with the proxy server obihai.telephony.goog.

Psen

I recently bought the OBI200 and gvoice was working fine. Starting today morning I'm getting error making calls and I see the same error on my obi admin screen:
SP1Google VoiceConnect Failed: No Response

drgeoff

This does not seem to be affecting everyone.  At the time of typing this, I have an OBi200 with GV showing "Connected".

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 08, 2018, 08:41:46 AM
This does not seem to be affecting everyone.  At the time of typing this, I have an OBi200 with GV showing "Connected".
Likewise. I have 2 OBi200s and 1 OBi202 all showing Connected. I am able to receive and make calls without issue.

On the Google Voice forums all kinds of people are complaining that call screening is now mandatory (can't turn it off) and that calling your own GV number and then pressing 2 to make an outbound call no longer works. I have none of these issues. I don't get it.

Jay-Jay

Quote from: Psen on December 08, 2018, 08:26:46 AM
I recently bought the OBI200 and gvoice was working fine. Starting today morning I’m getting error making calls and I see the same error on my obi admin screen:
SP1Google VoiceConnect Failed: No Response

I'm getting this same error. I discovered it when trying to figure out why incoming calls are not routed to the connected phones.

Note that SP2 shows registered to Anveo, like it should be.

Note 2: At 3:15AM CST I got an email from admin@ obitalk.com stating "Service Offline Alert -- OBi Device (510026481) is Not Registered"

DrLee

I'm down today too.  The OBi dashboard shows "Connect failed: no response" for SP1 and SP2.

Calls from my cell phone to my wife's GV number do ring her cell phone but not the home phone.  So at least the GV call forwarding to the cell phone works.  And from my cell phone I used the tested calls from both the cell phone number and from Google Voice app (my usual default) and both rang the cell phone but not OBi phone.

I've restarted my router and OBi box several times this morning but it hasn't fixed it.

Oh, and I can't make outgoing calls through the OBi.  I get " The number you dialed <number> has not received a response from the service provider"

Chronoblast

Same here. I have a 1022 phone with two different Google Voice accounts on two keys. They have both worked fine for a couple of years. Today I got a service alert email from OBi at 3:00 am, and now, 9 hours later, both those lines are still showing the message:

>> Connect Failed: No Response (server=64.9.241.172

There are two other lines on the phone from a SIP service provider that are still working fine.

I have rebooted and re-provisioned everything with no luck.

The no-response server (64.9.241.172) responds to a ping.

drgeoff

And you are all posting in the wrong thread!  This one was about failure to configure GV on an OBi.  Not the same thing as GV was working but now does not.

keithobri

Check this out.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15391.0  Seems like it happened to quite a few devices.  Possibly a DNS workaround. 

Chronoblast

@drgeoff - thanks for the correction. What is the right thread?