News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are Obi devices limited to the number of endpoints?

Started by Fasttimes, June 29, 2012, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

They said they were going to fix it. I guess that is one way to say it isn't broke anymore. If it ain't there, how can it be broke.

anythingindian

Ok can I do the following then?

Keep my OBI associated with the main account?  Therefore all settings will be kept.  Reset my Obi, then go to the new account to associate it, then delete it.  Continue to do this for all of the other accounts that I would like the trunk to stay.  Then when I'm done go back to the main account, then make a change and submit, and it will rewrite all of the information back to the obi?  If this is not possible then I should follow the next set of instructions:

1.  Copy all settings from My OBI main account.  Make a backup from the local web access. (If I wish to do provisioning locally to rewrite all the info.) Delete from the main account, and then login locally and delete reset the device.
2.  Then follow your procedure above in the post.
3.  Then go back and reset and reinstall all of the info back into the obi.

QBZappy

Quote from: anythingindian on July 16, 2012, 09:19:29 AM

Keep my OBI associated with the main account?  Therefore all settings will be kept.  Reset my Obi, then go to the new account to associate it, then delete it. 

The portal reads what is in the OBi, not the other way around. If you reset it, the portal will see the defaults again, the previous changes that you had made will not be there.

Instead of doing Backup and restore, for those who have the skills I know that we can provision all the OBis with a preconfigured XML file. I have not done it, however it has been mentioned here and on the DSL Reports site here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip . You may want to look it up.

Too bad no one has done a nice how to on this subject yet.  :)

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

anythingindian

Quote from: QBZappy on July 16, 2012, 09:33:59 AM

Keep my OBI associated with the main account?  Therefore all settings will be kept.  Reset my Obi, then go to the new account to associate it, then delete it. 

The portal reads what is in the OBi, not the other way around. If you reset it, the portal will see the defaults again, the previous changes that you had made will not be there.

Oh ok I thought that the settings get pushed to the OBI, which is why settings on the OBI even if changed don't stay unless the provisioning is changed.   So would that mean if I restore from the backup locally for the final main account before readding it that it would keep everything?

jimates

Keep my OBI associated with the main account?  Therefore all settings will be kept.  Reset my Obi, then go to the new account to associate it, then delete it.  Continue to do this for all of the other accounts that I would like the trunk to stay.  Then when I'm done go back to the main account, then make a change and submit, and it will rewrite all of the information back to the obi?  If this is not possible then I should follow the next set of instructions:

1.  Copy all settings from My OBI main account.  Make a backup from the local web access. (If I wish to do provisioning locally to rewrite all the info.) Delete from the main account, and then login locally and delete reset the device.
2.  Then follow your procedure above in the post.
3.  Then go back and reset and reinstall all of the info back into the obi.
You can't have a device in more than one account at a time.

Let me clarify on my comment
And if you manage it directly and then go back to the portal, whatever configuration that is in the portal will overwrite what you had on the device.

I think I am correct in saying:

If you change management from the portal to the device (turn off provisioning).
Do not delete the device (this leaves the old configuration on the portal).
If you turn provisioning back on and return to management from the portal, the existing configuration in the portal will be re-used and the portal will overwrite whatever changes you made on the device directly.

Of course you can't add a device to an account that has any configuration other than default so there is no effect from the portal for a "new" device.

Chuck_in_ABQ

Thanks for the detailed setup. I have created multiple ObiTalk accounts. My "main" account was connected last to the Obi 202.

ObiOn apps ring find on incoming, but they do not single-step dial out. Why? Because it appears that now Obitalk site deletes the Gateway when I delete the device. I went back and tried again, being sure to select the gateway on the soft phone. Delete the Obi 202, and the gateway disappears.

Perhaps I am missing a step? Or did they change something?

I am changing within the ObiTalk web site, not logging directly into the device.

Thanks
Chuck

QBZappy

Quote from: Chuck_in_ABQ on December 23, 2012, 09:44:28 PM
Delete the Obi 202, and the gateway disappears.

Perhaps I am missing a step? Or did they change something?

The **5 registration sets up the unit to act as an OBiAPP gateway. Delete the device from the portal, and you remove the gateway. Its always been like that. Note that each **5 registration offers a new unique OBiAPP number.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Chuck_in_ABQ

I can see that now (although upon new **% registration, it thankfully gave me back the same ObiTalk unique number).

According to Jimates post:

Add to an Obitalk account, set the default gateway for the softphone, then delete the device and reset it. The default gateway setting stays with the softphone number.

shampoo, rinse, repeat.

It appears to me (I am still trying again), that "Circles of Trust" are perhaps a newer system to do this same thing? I was able, through COT, to get the gateway proper in all of the obitalk accounts. Now I have to re-enter the various codes that Jimates suggests. BTW, are there other cahnges to these codes? I have not done an exhaustive search, found Jimate's postings and thought I was golden.

Thanks
CHuck

QBZappy

Chuck_in_ABQ,

What matters is what you find in the OBi inbound settings. Anytime you set up a new device on the portal, you may not have noticed that the COT numbers of the devices were rewritten into your unit in the inbound call routes. This too is nothing new about the behavior of the OBi. Your understanding of it is new.

Chuck_in_ABQ

Well, its all new to me, had Obi for 2 days now. Major learning curve.

I was able to get all the accounts working using COT, linked to my gateway. Now my wife's Android and daughter's ipod work! It appears, unlike original instructions, I do not have to load the device into each account, but just invite each account into COT, then select my obi as the gateway.

Could not have even started without this forum, thanks all!

Chuck