News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Obi200 - Cannot Add Device - Several Questions

Started by Lefty, September 12, 2018, 06:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

Hi All,

Just bought and plugged in a new Obi200.  Followed the Quickstart and successfully called the ObiTALK test number.

After that, attempted to use a new account at ObiTALK.com to add the device.  The page (for a few seconds) displays a **5 xxxx number, but that is fairly quickly replaced with the message "Failed to add device: This device is customized for another service provider and cannot be added to your account!"

This device is new just delivered from Newegg.  I can connect to the local IP of the ATA and I see that:

- pretty much everything seems disabled, including Auto Firmware Update and ObiTalk provisioning (dunno if that is normal or not)
- Hardware version is 1.4
- Software version is 3.2.1 (Build: 5735EX)

I thought perhaps that the firmware might be outdated, but downloading what seems like it should be the latest, appears to be 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX) (found here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8982.0) (maybe the pinned topic is outdated?)

I've sent an email to support@obihai.com, but thought I'd post here as well. 

I also noticed that Obihai was acquired by Polycom... is that good? Are they continuing support or shutting things down.  Just hope I didn't buy the wrong (or outdated) product.

Thanks.

Lefty

Thanks for your reply.

The ObiHai box appeared to have a factory seal on it that I opened and I checked the Obi Number, MAC address and Serial number stickers on the device and on the box match, as does the values reported on the system status page of the device when accessed by its IP address.

Another wierd thing I realized, is that the error message I reported appears BEFORE I have a chance to enter that number on the phone... so the phone (ATA) is not getting the chance to call into the server... so how can error even be associated to this ATA?  At this point I have a new account with no devices, I click to add a device, it shows me the code I'm supposed to dial on the screen for maybe 5 seconds and before I can dial it with the phone, the screen switches to display the error message.

Does that make sense?

SteveInWA

Humph. That is really strange.  Nobody has ever reported this symptom on a brand new device.  If Polycom doesn't respond in a day or two, I'd return it to Newegg for an exchange.  Either the error message you are seeing is itself in error  ::) or that device got pre-configured for a service provider, which would be highly unlikely - the service providers who deploy OBiTALK devices to their customers typically use the OBi 300 series, which doesn't include Google Voice support.

The firmware on the device is downlevel, and the version you found on the website is even older.  The way things work now, is that, after successfully adding the device to the portal, it should automatically download the current firmware, which, as of today, is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

A_Friend

1) What you're describing sounds like a problem with the Obitalk website.  But those don't affect just one person, so others should be posting about it.  Also, they're transient and tend to get fixed in a day or so.  How long have you been wrestling with it?  Have you tried another browser?  It normally works well with Chrome.

2) If you're worried about the provenance of your new device, just check that the MAC address in the System Status matches the label.

3) This is the latest firmware that you can actually get and manually download:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw

Try updating to that and see if the box allows it.  Make sure you're wired, not wireless.

4) While you're waiting to figure out what's wrong, if anything, with the Portal, why not sign up for a free VoIP account here:  https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/ip_freedom/  and do the install manually.  Here are some test numbers outside Callcentric you can play with:
011 8835100 0000 0091 (echo test)
011 8835100 0000 0092 (touch-tone test)
011 8835100 0000 0093 (caller ID -- may not work if you don't get a free iNum DID first)
If any of those work, there's nothing wrong with the device, and it's not locked to any carrier.  (Unless...  Does Callcentric provide locked devices?  Nah...)

A_Friend

You're not alone!!

This person is having the exact same problem!

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14947.msg94440

So, it's the website.  No need to do anything until it's fixed, unless you want to play around with updating and signing up for Callcentric's free voip-dialing-only account.

Lefty

Yes, it was the obitalk website.  Support got back to me indicating there was an issue and later they followed up to say it was resolved.  When I  tried to add the device after that it worked as expected.

Thanks for the help everyone.

cabberger

im having the same issue, i cannot add a device , i can call 222 echo , and can dial the **5 number and get a "number sent to server" response but the webiste times out and goes to "cannot connect to device.

SupTeamGuy

From Polycom-Obihai Support Team:

We are aware of the issue and currently working on resolving it.  We will do a follow-up with you.

Please make sure to keep your OBi devices connected via the Ethernet cable to the BLUE internet port on your OBi device and direct to your router.  No switch, nor extender, nor hub connected. 

Best regards,
Obi support at Polycom

OBiSupport

Dear OBiTALK Members,

OBiTALK is currently experiencing a slight performance degradation affecting the following functions:
- Add Device: Users Cannot Add New Devices
- OBiTALK Service Status: Status Displayed on OBiTALK Does Not Represent Actual Running Status of Device

The root cause is known and the work required to resolve is underway.

If you are experiencing any issues with functionality described above please do the following:
1.  Contact the Polycom OBiTALK support team via the on-line ticket system: CLICK HERE and submit the information required. Our support staff will work to help you resolve the issue you have and communicate accordingly.

2.  Continue to use the OBiTALK portal for the desired function knowing it may take several attempts to complete the task.

We expect the issues to be resolved soon.

Thank you for your patience, your support and for being a customer.

Warm Regards,
Obihai Team @ Polycom

SriV

Hello. Newbie here. Just setup Obi200/OBiWiFi5G dongle combo. My power light is steady GREEN and was able get the IP read back to me correctly. How can add my device to the obiTalk dashboard and use google voice with it. I already have google voice account.Thx

SteveInWA

Quote from: SriV on November 25, 2018, 07:21:31 PM
Hello. Newbie here. Just setup Obi200/OBiWiFi5G dongle combo. My power light is steady GREEN and was able get the IP read back to me correctly. How can add my device to the obiTalk dashboard and use google voice with it. I already have google voice account.Thx

Using a laptop/desktop computer's web browser, go to https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev

Click "Add device" on the left side of the page and follow the instructions.