News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone not ringing! But I can make calls...

Started by luckycat007, August 01, 2018, 01:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckycat007

I have an obi200.. up until a few days ago everything was fine, I've been using an obi100/200 for the past 5 years and have had no issues in the past configuring these devices.

I just removed my sp1/sp2, reconfigured both, reset the obi..rebooted the network.

My Google Hangouts ring, but my home phone does not ring, nothing happens...

But people can call us, no problems. 

Any suggestions?

EricHillis

I'm having the same problem as some describe here.. no dial tone AT ALL.. I updated the firmware as suggested here to version 3.2.2 build 5859EX, and STILL NO DIAL TONE!! 

I noticed that someone said they did this and then reconnected to GV, HOWEVER, if you have NO DIAL TONE, how do you reconnect to GV???  It asks you to dial a number when attempting to reconnect to GV, so if you have no dial tone, how are you supposed to reconnect to GV???

I guess I'm wondering how you all successfully got the dial tone back???

SteveInWA

Assuming you did everything correctly, and outbound calls work, but inbound calls don't work, then this is being caused by a software bug on Google's side.  Until that bug gets fixed, here is the solution:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14643.msg93013#msg93013

EricHillis

In my case.. no calls work, I don't get any dial tone.. nothing is functioning..  phone does not detect a line at all.

drgeoff

Quote from: EricHillis on August 17, 2018, 07:03:33 PM
In my case.. no calls work, I don't get any dial tone.. nothing is functioning..  phone does not detect a line at all.
A fix is claimed in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14474.msg93669#msg93669.

I'm sceptical but given the bugs that OBihai have been including in recent firmwares, nothing would surprise me anymore.

SteveInWA

Quote from: EricHillis on August 17, 2018, 07:03:33 PM
In my case.. no calls work, I don't get any dial tone.. nothing is functioning..  phone does not detect a line at all.

The information you've provided so far is insufficient to even guess at the cause.  It could be:

• A defective telephone
  • A defective telephone cord
  • A configuration error
  • An OBi hardware failure
  • Martian swamp gas/loss of magic smoke

Unplug all three of the cords from the OBi.  Go take your telephone and its cord to some place that has working telephone service and plug in your phone.  Does it work?  If not, then, as the repairman says, "That's yer problem right there!"

If the phone works, then turn the OBi upside-down on a flat surface.  Straighten out a paper clip.  Find the small round dimple with a hole in it.  This is the reset switch.  Gently depress the switch with the paper clip until you feel a soft click.  Keep holding it down.  With your other hand, plug in only the power cord.  Wait at least ten seconds or more, then release the paper clip.  Turn the OBi right-side-up and watch.  It will reset itself and reboot.  Give it plenty of time for this to finish.  When it's done, the left-side LED (power) should be on steadily.

Did that work?  If so...

Unplug the power cord.  Plug in the telephone and Ethernet cords.  Finally, plug in the power cord and wait for it to boot up.  The left LED should be on solid, with the middle LED flickering (showing LAN activity).  Pick up the phone.  Do you get a dial tone?  If so, dial ***1 to hear the assigned IP address.  Use your web browser to sign into that page.  The user ID and password are both "admin".  Do you get that far?

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 17, 2018, 06:18:01 PM
Assuming you did everything correctly, and outbound calls work, but inbound calls don't work, then this is being caused by a software bug on Google's side.  Until that bug gets fixed, here is the solution:

Steve,
Would this cause the rightmost LED on an obi200 to go out when this happens?
I wouldn't think so.
Thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: zorlac on September 10, 2018, 06:43:27 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on August 17, 2018, 06:18:01 PM

Steve,
Would this cause the rightmost LED on an obi200 to go out when this happens?
I wouldn't think so.
Thanks

I wouldn't think so, either, but anything's possible with all the extreme changes that have been made this year.