News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 202 not ringing on incoming calls

Started by Josephf, September 17, 2018, 11:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephf

I have had the OBi 202 working properly for about a year. A few weeks ago incoming calls stopped ringing when either of the two Google Voice numbers connected to the OBi is called. Once in a while you'll hear a brief ring, and then no more ringing, when a caller calls. The majority of the time you'll hear no ringing at all. Outgoing calls work properly.

Each GV number is set to ring a different phone port on the OBi. No changes were made to any settings since the OBi was setup about a year ago. It has always only used the OBiTalk portal for configuration.

When someone calls the numbers, even though the phone doesn't ring, if you pick up the handset the call will connect. (Obviously you need to know the moment a caller is calling, despite the lack of ringing, to do this.)

After the issue developed, in an attempt to diagnose the problem, I tried the following:

1. I plugged in a brand new cordless handset to replace the existing cordless handset. The no ringing problem continued unchanged.

2. I moved the OBi device to another residence, with a different internet service. The no ringing problem continued unchanged at the new residence with a different cordless handset and internet service. (If you pick up the handset while the caller is trying to ring you, the call will connect.) This other residence also uses an OBi 202, which I unplugged in order to plug in the problematic OBi 202. When using this other residence's original OBi 202 it experiences no problems with the ringing.

3. The OBi was originally setup with Callcentric E-911. I now added a Callcentric Free NY DID to this account. The Callcentric account on the OBi is set to ring both phone ports. When dialing the new Callcentric DID we experience the same problem we have with the GV DIDs. It does not ring. But if you pickup the phone while the caller hears ringing, the call will connect.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

dboling

when you were at the other residence, did you try using their obi202s power supply on your obi202 ?
-Diane

Josephf

When using it at the other residence I used the power supply of the OBi 202 that was from that residence (and not the original power supply of the problematic OBi.)

SteveInWA

I am going to assume you are not making the Homer Simpson mistake of having the ringer turned off on the phones you tried, and that "I plugged in a brand new cordless handset" meant that you plugged in a new cordless phone base station, not a handset.  In other words, the OBi communicates with telephones over the telephone cord, using standard telephone signalling.  It does not make the handset ring; it tells the base station to ring, and the base station makes the handsets ring.

Now, that said, I would suggest completely restoring the OBi to factory defaults, then configuring one Google Voice account on one SP, going to the Phone 1 port, and test it.  If you call the Google Voice number from an unrelated phone number (NOT another Google Voice number, and NOT from your linked/forwarding mobile or land line number), then the Phone 1 LED (second from the right side) should blink on and off, and the attached telephone should ring.

The steps to start over are here:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076  Follow all the instructions, in order; do not skip any instruction.

If it still fails with an attached telephone that you have proven to work (ring) on some other telephone service, then you have one of two problems:

• Perhaps there is a problem with your Google Voice account, although it would be odd that two accounts don't ring.  Link a 10-digit US mobile or traditional land line telephone number to your Google Voice number, in Google Voice settings, and test to see if calls successfully forward to that phone number and ring that telephone.
  • The OBi's ring circuitry has gone bad, and you need to replace the device.

toly

I am having the same issue with my OBI 200.  Have you resolved the issue?