News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202...Was working, then it failed 403 Failure code, can't add it back.Solved!

Started by PilotKnob, September 21, 2018, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PilotKnob

Bought the 202 a week ago. Added it with no problem, added Anveo service, life was good. Today I get an email notification saying my Obi is not registered. Look on the dashboard and see a Registration failure, 403 code Forbidden Token? or something of the sort. Ended up deleting the Obi202 from my dashboard. While trying to add device, I'm able to send the code to the server via the landline phone(not obiphone, don't own one). It fails to connect to the device and times out. I can't connect to the number to do the echo test. Says I don't have phone service. I've tried rebooting the Obi and router many times.

The only thing different is that today I disabled UPnP on my router for security reasons.I've since forwarded all of the ports Obi recommends. No help. I put the Obi in the DMZ. No help. I've rebooted the router after theses changes as well. Any ideas? I'm at a loss. It sounds as though Obi servers are having issues lately. Is this what's causing my issues? Thanks for any insight.

PilotKnob

Ok, so support responded a few times last week via email. Then they just stopped responding. I have done everything I can think of. I think that the problem is that neither of the phone ports are enabled. Neither of the phone lines are illuminated(off) which tells me, via the user guide, that they are not enabled. This may be the reason I am not able to conduct a successful echo test nor successfully add the device. I am able to access the device via my computer and did a little poking around. I didn't change anything, however.

The power led is solid, and the link light is blinking. I even swapped out the cat5 cable during troubleshooting. My latest email to support stated "Due to the lack of response to my last email, I'll take it that you've given up and I'll return the device". Something to that affect.

Any ideas? I really wanted this service to work. And it did for a couple of days. And then it just quit...

A_Friend

When you power the device up with a phone attached, and you pick up the handset, do you have a dial tone?

if so...

With the ethernet attached, do you have an IP address?  Using the phone, did you check with ***, 1?

Just out of curiosity, did you do your factory reset using the phone?  (***, 8, 1)

PilotKnob

Quote from: A_Friend on September 27, 2018, 10:06:23 AM
When you power the device up with a phone attached, and you pick up the handset, do you have a dial tone?

if so...

With the ethernet attached, do you have an IP address?  Using the phone, did you check with ***, 1?

Just out of curiosity, did you do your factory reset using the phone?  (***, 8, 1)

Yes, I have a dial tone.
Yes, it has an IP address which is set to static in the router. "Your IP address is 192.168.#.###, your DHCP is enabled"
Yes, many times. Just did one again to answer your question. Both Line1 and Line2 leds are off. Now when I pick up the phone, it begins blinking. The Line1 and Line2 leds being "off" I believe is where my problems are stemming from. When the device was working for 2 days, both leds would be illuminated solid in the normal state. Now, they are not. They are off when idle. **9 222222222 results in a female voice stating "There is no service available to complete your call"

azrobert

Do you know someone that will let you try your device on their network?

PilotKnob

Quote from: azrobert on September 27, 2018, 11:07:47 AM
Do you know someone that will let you try your device on their network?

Unfortunately, no. I'm blazing a trail here in the western burbs...and it started on fire. :)

azrobert

Can you try connecting the OBi202 directly to your modem? Power off your modem and OBi202. Disconnect your router from the modem and connect the OBi202. Power on the Modem then the OBi202.

A_Friend

Pilot:

I believe the LEDs have more to do with whether you have Service Providers configured, than whether the phone port is physically alive.

If you're dialing **9 222 222 222 and getting no connection, the first thing to check is whether the Obitalk voice service is disabled.

Doing the factory reset ordinarily should turn that voice service back on.  Dial ***, 8, 1.

You can check the system status using the built-in user interface.  Use your browser to open the IP address of the Obi.  (Login is admin/admin)  Scroll down to see the status of the Obitalk Service.  If the service is enabled and you're still getting that recording, then something in your network/router is possibly blocking you from calling out.

While you're checking status, click on Phone Port Status.  Each port should say "On hook," 0ma, 56v(11.6v),45v, ----.

PilotKnob

Quote from: azrobert on September 27, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
Can you try connecting the OBi202 directly to your modem? Power off your modem and OBi202. Disconnect your router from the modem and connect the OBi202. Power on the Modem then the OBi202.

Ok, now we're cooking with gas. I did as you recommended and got a successful echo test. Plugging it back into the router and it subsequently fails. Here's the thing. It worked before, and then it suddenly quit. I have forwarded all of the recommended ports, put Obi in DMZ, nothing.

PilotKnob

Quote from: A_Friend on September 27, 2018, 12:20:04 PM
Pilot:

I believe the LEDs have more to do with whether you have Service Providers configured, than whether the phone port is physically alive.

If you're dialing **9 222 222 222 and getting no connection, the first thing to check is whether the Obitalk voice service is disabled.

Doing the factory reset ordinarily should turn that voice service back on.  Dial ***, 8, 1.

You can check the system status using the built-in user interface.  Use your browser to open the IP address of the Obi.  (Login is admin/admin)  Scroll down to see the status of the Obitalk Service.  If the service is enabled and you're still getting that recording, then something in your network/router is possibly blocking you from calling out.

While you're checking status, click on Phone Port Status.  Each port should say "On hook," 0ma, 56v(11.6v),45v, ----.

Thank you for your input. I did the *** 8,1 reset. The UI shows Obitalk Service as "Acquiring Service (0);ex-addr=192.168.1.100:10050(10050)" The phone port status shows exactly what you stated.

azrobert

Quote from: PilotKnob on September 27, 2018, 12:36:58 PM
Ok, now we're cooking with gas. I did as you recommended and got a successful echo test. Plugging it back into the router and it subsequently fails. Here's the thing. It worked before, and then it suddenly quit. I have forwarded all of the recommended ports, put Obi in DMZ, nothing.

Does your router have SIP-ALG option enabled? If it does, disable it. Some routers don't have this option.

PilotKnob

Quote from: azrobert on September 27, 2018, 01:05:52 PM
Quote from: PilotKnob on September 27, 2018, 12:36:58 PM

Does your router have SIP-ALG option enabled? If it does, disable it.

It is disabled(unchecked) and always has been. Thank you.

azrobert

PilotKnob

So, with the Obi plugged directly into the modem, it passes the echo test. I then got my IPad, which has cellular capability, and logged into the Obitalk website. **5 #### number entered into phone, sent to server...nothing. Failed. I think the main problem here is that the Obitalk service is stuck on acquiring. Not sure why.

drgeoff

Quote from: PilotKnob on September 27, 2018, 01:48:58 PM
So, with the Obi plugged directly into the modem, it passes the echo test. I then got my IPad, which has cellular capability, and logged into the Obitalk website. **5 #### number entered into phone, sent to server...nothing. Failed. I think the main problem here is that the Obitalk service is stuck on acquiring. Not sure why.
The **5 receiving stuff at Obihai has been having problems for the last week or two.  There have been many posts from people unable to add or re-add a device to the portal. eg http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14947.0

A_Friend

Until the Obitalk website/portal is working again, you can't add Google Voice service to your device.  You'll just have to wait on that front.

However, you can add most other VoIP services without the portal.  If you're desperate to reestablish voip/landline service before the portal is back, you can order a new DID from a company like circlenet.biz, voip.ms, or callcentric.com.  You can forward your Google Voice number to your new DID, and with any of those three companies, you can spoof your GV number on outgoing calls if you want to maintain that continuity.

PilotKnob

Quote from: A_Friend on September 27, 2018, 04:39:04 PM

Until the Obitalk website/portal is working again, you can't add Google Voice service to your device.  You'll just have to wait on that front.

However, you can add most other VoIP services without the portal.  If you're desperate to reestablish voip/landline service before the portal is back, you can order a new DID from a company like circlenet.biz, voip.ms, or callcentric.com.  You can forward your Google Voice number to your new DID, and with any of those three companies, you can spoof your GV number on outgoing calls if you want to maintain that continuity.

Thanks for that info. I'll look into it. For the mean time, I have GV forwarded to our cell phones. It's just a shame that the support for this device, which has so much promise, is so lack luster.

A_Friend

Quote from: PilotKnob on September 27, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
It's just a shame that the support for this device, which has so much promise, is so lack luster.

I draw a line between the Obi devices themselves, and the Obitalk Portal website.  The devices are very stable and actually pretty well supported, both in terms of documentation (a 200+ page Device Admin Guide) and this forum.  The Obitalk Portal, on the other hand, I've had several beefs with.  Unfortunately, the Portal is essential for installing Google Voice, so it's not completely avoidable if you want Google Voice.

PilotKnob

Ok, I've done some troubleshooting. I connected the Obi202 directly to my modem. Everything worked perfectly after configuring it with my IPad connected to cellular since my router was not in service. The Line1 and 2 lights WERE illuminated green indicating they were ready for service. But obviously this was not a permanent solution.

Therefore, the router is blocking connection from/to the Obi202. But for the life of me, I can't get it to work while plugged directly into a port on the back of the router. I have all ports forwarded that are recommended. But canyouseeme says they are not open. The IP address matches my WAN ip, so I know it's me they're checking. I have tried putting the Obi into the DMZ and disabling all firewalls. Nothing.

One thing I noticed is there are router settings in the UI. They are all set to defaults, but this thing isn't interfering in some sense with a router function, is it? Or is this just generic software that doesn't apply to my particular device?

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!