News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202...Was working, then it failed 403 Failure code, can't add it back.Solved!

Started by PilotKnob, September 21, 2018, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: PilotKnob on September 30, 2018, 09:41:47 AM
Ok, I've done some troubleshooting. I connected the Obi202 directly to my modem. Everything worked perfectly after configuring it with my IPad connected to cellular since my router was not in service. The Line1 and 2 lights WERE illuminated green indicating they were ready for service. But obviously this was not a permanent solution.

Therefore, the router is blocking connection from/to the Obi202. But for the life of me, I can't get it to work while plugged directly into a port on the back of the router. I have all ports forwarded that are recommended. But canyouseeme says they are not open. The IP address matches my WAN ip, so I know it's me they're checking. I have tried putting the Obi into the DMZ and disabling all firewalls. Nothing.

One thing I noticed is there are router settings in the UI. They are all set to defaults, but this thing isn't interfering in some sense with a router function, is it? Or is this just generic software that doesn't apply to my particular device?

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
1.  The OBi202 does contain a router but that rarely causes any problem provided you connect the 202's INTERNET jack (not the LAN jack) to the existing router (or modem-router).

2.  It is rarely necessary to do any port forwarding, nor place the OBi in the router's DMZ.

3.  Regarding the list of ports at https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router, note that most of those are for outgoing and I have yet to encounter a home router that has user controls for outgoing ports.  Note also that port opening is not the same thing as the port forwarding which is available on most home routers.  The incoming port 10000 is used only by OBiTALK.

PilotKnob

Thank you for the information. It seems as though the router is the culprit here, but I'm not sure what to do about it. The strange thing is it worked flawlessly for 2 days, and then just quit. Currently it will work when connected directly to the modem, but not when connected to the router. Not sure what to think. I'm within the return window at Amazon. Should I exchange it and see what happens with the new one? Might be worth a shot anyway.

drgeoff

Quote from: PilotKnob on September 30, 2018, 10:13:15 AM
Thank you for the information. It seems as though the router is the culprit here, but I'm not sure what to do about it. The strange thing is it worked flawlessly for 2 days, and then just quit. Currently it will work when connected directly to the modem, but not when connected to the router. Not sure what to think. I'm within the return window at Amazon. Should I exchange it and see what happens with the new one? Might be worth a shot anyway.
Return the OBi202 or the router? I very much doubt that a replacement 202 would behave any differently.

Have you tried a reset (not reboot) of the router?

PilotKnob

Quote from: drgeoff on September 30, 2018, 01:29:18 PM
Quote from: PilotKnob on September 30, 2018, 10:13:15 AM
Return the OBi202 or the router? I very much doubt that a replacement 202 would behave any differently.

Have you tried a reset (not reboot) of the router?

Not yet. I'll try a factory reset of the router. I've been avoiding that because I have so many settings in there, but hey...what do I have to lose? Thanks!

SteveInWA

...because I have so many settings in there...

I'm betting that's your problem.  Any home/consumer-class router should work with an OBiTALK device, with no custom settings at all.

PilotKnob

Boom! It works! I never imagined that resetting the router to factory would correct this. Or maybe I was just worried about all of the settings. Not only is everything working with Obitalk, my speeds have dramatically improved. I recently had 1GB service installed, and my MacBook(AC) was only pulling down 140Mbps. Now it's doing 750Mbps wirelessly. Thank you so much guys!