News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forward Home Office Calls

Started by lenny849, September 25, 2018, 03:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny849

Hi all just discovered OBi, but have been a long term GV user.

Recently began working from home for a company that uses a Polycom VOIP setup with a VPN router attached so all calls come from the same phone system. Call forwarding has been disabled for the device via the configuration file. Would it be possible to connect a OBi device to the home office phone line and forward all calls to my GV number?

SteveInWA

Short answer, no.

Longer answer:  Google Voice is designed to be your single point of contact phone number, and, as such, people would call that number, which would then forward to other numbers.  It is not designed to work backwards from that model, forwarding inbound calls TO the Google Voice number.  Unpredictable results are guaranteed.

Aside from that, If I was your telecom administrator, and I found out you were forwarding your VPN-protected, internal phone network's calls to some other service, I'd report you to your manager as violating security.

What many companies do for their mobile/remote workers, is to use a softphone client that runs on a desktop/laptop computer or mobile device, and that client connects via VPN or other secure means, to the same internal network as your Polycom phone.  This is especially prevalent with Cisco and Microsoft Skype For Business customers, as well as customers using a managed, cloud-based solution from companies like Ringcentral, Dialpad, etc.