News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Stop Google Voice from Ringing my Cell Number

Started by draketwins, September 25, 2018, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

draketwins

I purchased the Obi200 unit for my 8 year old son. To set it up I had to provide GOOGLE VOICE with my cell  number in order to get my Obi200 phone number.

QUESTION: Now that I have it all set up and working can I REMOVE MY CELL NUMBER from GOOGLE VOICE and just let it ring to the Obi200 with the free number google provided?

Thanks for your help!
Draketwins

J.B.Kelly

My question is: "How did you get a Google Voice #?" I assume you got it on "your" gmail account.

What is more flexible, and a lot longer lasting, is getting your son his own Gmail account, and his own Google Voice #. A Google Voice # can be set up for any Google gmail account, by giving your cell phone number to get the security code needed to set up a GV #, and then removing it.

Google has this habit of grandfathering in people who have signed up for one of their services. By this I mean, if in the future Google discontinues giving out "FREE" Google numbers, those who already have them will remain free. Just because you get him a Google Gmail account, doesn't mean you have to let him use it now, if this concerns you.

HMEETIS

To answere the immediate question at hand... go to google voice, then under setting  ( three bar thing in upper left corner ) Then scroll down to legacy google voice. From there go to the settings ( gear icon on the right ) There you will see a listing of phones / phone numbers and you can do as you wish there weather they ring or dont or forward calls, whatever you like.
I do like the approach of setting up a separate google account for the kiddo also.

SteveInWA

Quote from: J.B.Kelly on September 29, 2018, 10:10:33 AM
My question is: "How did you get a Google Voice #?" I assume you got it on "your" gmail account.

What is more flexible, and a lot longer lasting, is getting your son his own Gmail account, and his own Google Voice #. A Google Voice # can be set up for any Google gmail account, by giving your cell phone number to get the security code needed to set up a GV #, and then removing it.

Google has this habit of grandfathering in people who have signed up for one of their services. By this I mean, if in the future Google discontinues giving out "FREE" Google numbers, those who already have them will remain free. Just because you get him a Google Gmail account, doesn't mean you have to let him use it now, if this concerns you.

Google is not discontinuing giving out free numbers.  And, no, there is no "grandfathering" in this regard.  If you don't place outbound calls or send text messages on a Google Voice number for more than nine months, Google will reclaim (take back) the number and then eventually put it back in the pool of available numbers.  As long as you keep using the number (and don't violate the terms of service), it'll stay on your configuration.