News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will Obi200 work with a Phone patch

Started by Dono, September 28, 2018, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dono

I do voice over work and in the past used a regular land line cordless phone with a phone patch unit... the patch allows the caller to hear me talking through my studio microphone while I hear the caller through my headphones.  This allows the caller... usually a producer of commercials, narrations etc... to direct me while I'm recording a script.  I have replaced my old landline with the OBI 200 and it works very well for normal phone calls.  But when I engaged the patch I could hear the caller in my headphones but he could not hear me speaking through the microphone.  Then after I gave up on the patch and ended the phone call.  I had trouble making a call and had to take the phone patch out of the mix and reboot the OBI and all was normal for making calls through the OBI.  If anyone has been able to use a phone patch with an OBI and Voip... please advise on how you did it.  Or, on the other hand. if anyone knows that a phone patch just won't work with an OBI I'd appreciate knowing that so I don't spend hours beating a dead horse.
Many thanks in advance for any advice!!

SteveInWA

Hi:  I don't recall anyone ever mentioning any device like that, in all of the years I have been using VoIP hardware. 

I think what you are describing is a box that has a microphone input jack, and a pair of phone jacks (or one phone jack and you use a splitter), right?  Since it works with an analog (POTS) telephone, one would think it should work with the OBi devices, too, but the analog telephone specs are more forgiving as to audio power levels. I would think it would just sound crappy (over-driven or clipped audio) in that case, not that it would kill the OBi.  That suggests that there is some way-out-of-spec signal (or harmonic distortion) being injected into the phone's audio path that is potentially damaging the telephone line interface circuit on the OBi.

If it were me, I would abandon that very old technology, and use something modern, like Skype, Google Hangouts or another audio/video service.  They have the benefit of much better audio quality via wideband CODECs, vs. the very limited bandwidth of the POTS telephone standard.  You could easily use any studio-quality mic and a headset.

jhoonymarks

We are using the best iPhone and it is best for us. And they provide the good type of information. And I can activate iPhone without sim and it is very easy steps to activate the iPhone. And my phone does not dispatch easily. which is very best for us. And if I want more information about iPhone then go to the technical support.