News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV voice mail question

Started by mo832, September 29, 2018, 11:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Disclaimer: I have posted this question before (maybe 1 or 2 years ago), but I could not find it, and besides, the answer I received was not conclusive.

If one of my friends calls in to my GV number, and it is answered by GV voice mail, and they proceed to leave a message, is there any feature in the GV VM system that allows the caller/person leaving the message to replay, re-record, or delete the message prior to hanging up? All I have ever been able to notice is any keys pressed once the greeting is finished have zero effect.

If so, what are all the functions available, and what keys activate them?

drgeoff

Quote from: mo832 on September 29, 2018, 11:03:43 AM
Disclaimer: I have posted this question before (maybe 1 or 2 years ago), but I could not find it,
Your third question in https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12024.10

mo832

Ok- well, that topic kind of got derailed and complicated, but the portion of the question dealing with VM was not actually answered. As I understand the comments, I experience *no* prompt of any kind when *leaving * a message as an outside caller, after the initial greeting. In my case, I use the standard GV greeting. Does it make a difference if I record my own custom greeting?

I have used GV for several years, both as an account owner and as a caller to other users, and have never been aware of any options or prompts when leaving a message to a GV VM account. One comment seems to assert that this exists, but I have never been able to make this function happen.

Again, the only effect available in my experience when calling another person's GV VM is wait for the greeting- speak- hang up.

I should also add that I don't have the call screening options or anything else like that enabled, just the plain vanilla setup. Does that change things?

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on September 29, 2018, 03:07:39 PM
One comment seems to assert that this exists, but I have never been able to make this function happen.
Do you have a link to that comment?

Quote from: mo832Again, the only effect available in my experience when calling another person's GV VM is wait for the greeting- speak- hang up.
There are no additional options available when leaving a GV voicemail that I'm aware of.

Having a custom greeting makes no difference.

If I'm wrong about this SteveInWA will make a correction.

SteveInWA

I don't know why you didn't believe/accept/understand the answer the last time you asked.

As clearly as I can state it:  unlike most other voicemail systems, Google Voice's voicemail feature is pretty bare-bones in terms of controls available to the caller.  The only thing a caller can do is to leave a message and hang up.  There are no commands to re-record, listen to, and/or cancel the recorded message.

mo832

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 29, 2018, 05:55:14 PM
I don't know why you didn't believe/accept/understand the answer the last time you asked.

As clearly as I can state it:  unlike most other voicemail systems, Google Voice's voicemail feature is pretty bare-bones in terms of controls available to the caller.  The only thing a caller can do is to leave a message and hang up.  There are no commands to re-record, listen to, and/or cancel the recorded message.

Steve,

I do appreciate your tireless efforts on these boards, and I know many of us try your patience...speaking for myself, it is not intentional. In response to your question above, I am quoting the other thread:

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 21, 2016, 10:49:37 AM
Quote from: mo832 on October 31, 2016, 12:43:28 PM

Separate issue:

3. When leaving a voice mail on GV, are there any options for replaying the message, delete/re-record, etc? I couldn't find any keys worked there as well.

The options work, but your OBi is mis-configured.

4. Where do I find the options/keys/menus for using GV VM ?

You find them in your ear.  Just listen to Kiki prompt you with the options.

According to your answer in #3 above, it appeared you were saying there *is* a feature that allows you to review your message or other options when you leave a voicemail. That is why I was baffled as I could never find these options. Your *current* answer seems to say the opposite, which is clear enough and does match my experience, along with other posters, including Taoman. I.E. leave message and hang up is all there is.

It wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but I am satisfied. Thanks :)

SteveInWA

I'm sorry; now that I re-read my quoted post, I can see how this was confusing.  You're asking if there are any options available to the person leaving the voicemail message.  The answer to that question is no.  The options to which I referred in my older post are the ones that are available to the Google Voice user when s/he listens to their voicemail messages, for example, press 7 to stop listening and archive the message.