News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Inbound calls to PSTN number not working

Started by Ozzieken, September 09, 2011, 07:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzieken

Still configuring my Obi110. I can call out ok, I can receive inbound calls on my DID number, but not with my PSTN number. I can receive ibnound PSTN calls with the Obi switched off, but not with it on.Could it be that there is a setting somewhere in a config file that has not been checked, or has been checked when it shouldn't be .... trouble is I don't know where to look. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this one please.

QBZappy

See if you have this to make it ring the phone:

Setup Wizard->Inbound Settings->POTS-line InboundCallRoute = {ph}
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

With no power applied to the OBi, the LINE Port jack is connected directly to the PHONE Port jack, which is why your phone rings in that situation.

Take a look at this page in the OBi:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port

Are all settings at Default (Default box checked)?

Is the OBi connected to a North American telephone service?

Ozzieken

Quote from: QBZappy on September 09, 2011, 07:21:55 PM
See if you have this to make it ring the phone:

Setup Wizard->Inbound Settings->POTS-line InboundCallRoute = {ph}

Yes, these settings are ok.

Ozzieken

Quote from: RonR on September 09, 2011, 07:22:36 PM
With no power applied to the OBi, the LINE Port jack is connected directly to the PHONE Port jack, which is why your phone rings in that situation.

Take a look at this page in the OBi:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port

Are all settings at Default (Default box checked)?

Is the OBi connected to a North American telephone service?

Line port has been set up for Australian conditions as per guidlines in this forum.

QBZappy

Ozzieken,

Did you setup the OBi as per the instructions in this thread?

Topic: OBi Down Under: Australia OBi100 and OBi110 Config / Set-up 

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=616.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ozzieken

Quote from: QBZappy on September 09, 2011, 08:24:24 PM
Ozzieken,

Yes

RonR

Quote from: Ozzieken on September 09, 2011, 08:13:02 PM
Line port has been set up for Australian conditions as per guidlines in this forum.

Have you verified those setting are in place by logging into the OBi itself?

QBZappy

Are you setting up the OBi via the OBi Expert method via the OBi portal or directly on the unit web page? If you see the correct settings are indeed on the local unit can you make an outgoing call by prefixing **8+number? (I'm assuming you have a dial plan that will allow the call)

**8  forces call over PSTN Line

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on September 09, 2011, 08:24:24 PM

That thread:

Quote from: ShermanObi on April 08, 2011, 11:00:45 AM
OBi Device Management Web UI
1. Access the OBi device management web UI buy pointing a browser at the OBi's IP address.
  - Dial ***1 from the attached phone. The IP Address will be read to you.
  - Enter the IP address in the web site address / navigation window & select enter.
  - When prompted, enter 'admin' for user name and 'admin' for password. Note: The password may have been previously changed.  If this is the case, use the current admin password.  You may need to log-in to OBiTALK to see the changed admin password.  But if you do this, you might as well use the recommended method: OBi Expert Configuration.  :)
2. Use the left-side navigation menu to expose the configuration settings sections as described above.
3. Configure the parameter as described above.
4. *Important* Select Submit before you move to a new configuration section / page.

has a glaring omission:

There's no mention of disabling Auto Provisioning, which means the settings won't stick if the OBi Device Management Web UI method is used.

Ozzieken

Quote from: QBZappy on September 09, 2011, 09:37:49 PM
Are you setting up the OBi via the OBi Expert method via the OBi portal or directly on the unit web page? If you see the correct settings are indeed on the local unit can you make an outgoing call by prefixing **8+number? (I'm assuming you have a dial plan that will allow the call)

**8  forces call over PSTN Line

I set the unit up via the Obi Expert. I have checked the config. for accuracy many times in conjuction with the device admin.guide., & I have also checked it by going into the unit directly - all appears to be ok.
I can call out on the PSTN line by using the **8 prefix. When I try calling in normally to my PSTN number with another phone I can here the "ringing" tone , but nothing comes through.

I have also switched off Auto provisioning as suggested by RonR.
May the box has an internal problem.
Thanks to all who have given me their time to help.  :)

RonR

Ozzieken,

Regarding Auto Provisioning...

You need to decide which way you want to configure your OBi and stick with that method:

If you use the OBiTALK Web Portal, you MUST enable Auto Provisioning and not configure the OBi directly.
If you configure the OBi directly, you MUST disable Auto Provisioning and not use the OBiTALK Web Portal.

I prefer configuring the OBi directly as there are many settings and status in the OBi that are not available on the OBiTALK Web Portal.  There's considerably less steps involved configuring the OBi directly compared to using the OBiTALK Web Portal.  When you make changes, you KNOW they made it to the OBi (where they really count) because that's where you made them.  The OBiTALK Web Portal can be useful if you need to configure an OBi that is not physically accessible, but that's about it in my opinion.  Should you need this capability in the future, it's easy to resync the OBiTALK Web Portal at point and switch back from making changes directly.

Regarding your incoming PSTN call problem...

When you get an incoming PSTN call, the LINE Port LED should start blinking on the first ring.  Beginning with the second ring, both the LINE Port and PHONE Port LED should be blinking.  You might want to connect a second telephone in parallel with the OBi's LINE Port so you know when you are actually getting an incoming call since the OBi's phone isn't ringing.  While you're getting an incoming call, it should show up in the OBi's Call Status.  When the incoming call ceases without being answered, both LED's should stop blinking.  At that point, there should be a record of that incoming call in the OBi's Call History.  Is any of this happening?

Ozzieken

RonR. & QBZappy

Finally got the PSTN inbound call to work. - Reset the configuration in the Obi, and re-entered all the relevant parameters. Rebooted the system and everything seems to be going ok. I really can't identify what was causing the problem, but it works, so all is ok.  Thanks so much for your patience.