News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai200 using ATT fiber BGW210-700 router

Started by blueking, October 01, 2018, 07:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueking

I just subscribed ATT fiber using BGW210 as router.  Before switching over to ATT, my Obihai200 worked fine with TWC using an Asus router. I could still switch back to TWC (service not canceled yet) and the phone worked fine so the obihai device has no problem. I suspect this is firewall related but I am not sure what to do in BGW210 for the obihai.  I could set up port forwarding so that my PC can do remote desktop, or run a web server without problems using BGW210.  I am not sure why obihai doesn't work.  Please help!

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Looking at the diagrams in this manual:  https://fccid.io/PGRBGW210/Users-Manual/User-Manual-3205200, how, exactly, is everything connected? 

If you are using fiber service, you should have an Ethernet cable between the fiber ONT and the router's red ONT jack, and the green "Broadband" jack should be empty; if you're using DSL, then the router's green "Broadband" jack should be connected to your phone wiring, and the red ONT jack should be empty.

The OBiTALK device must be plugged into one of they yellow Ethernet jacks on the back of that router, not chained to some other router.  Nothing should be plugged into the "Phone 1&2" jack on the router.

If this is the case, then I suspect that AT&T may have configured the router to use its own telephone service instead of permitting the necessary ports to be used for other service providers.  You'd have to discuss that with them.

blueking

Thanks Steve. I thought about the very thing (hooking up the obihai directly to the BGW210 for a test).  I had been connecting it behind the same ASUS router that is now just a switch.  However, it still didn't work after connecting the obihai directly to the Ethernet 3 socket on the BGW210.

Do you know what port obihai is using? If ATT is blocking the port, do I still have a way to use obihai?

Also, the BGW210 allows setting up a default machine that will pass through all connections to if not covered by the port forwarding ports.  I tried to use the obihai as the default machine. That didn't work either.

Thanks!

Qing

SteveInWA

You'll have to contact AT&T; anything else is just speculation.

You didn't mention which Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) you are attempting to use - Google Voice, or some other provider (which one)?  SIP control channel traffic is usually carried over the 5060-5080 range, but it can vary.  Voice (media channel) can be carried over a variety of ports.

If you are using a generic SIP ITSP, like Callcentric, voip.ms, or Anveo, then you can test whether the AT&T router is blocking traffic by installing a software phone client on your computer, and configuring it to use the ITSP.  Counterpath's X-Lite or Zoiper are two good, free SIP softphone clients.

SteveInWA

I should also mention, that the settings for this modem/router are not described in the manual.  Perhaps you got another document that covers the web user interface and its settings?  At minimum, if the product has a setting described as "SIP-ALG" or similar wording, it needs to be disabled.

blueking

I am using Google Voice.  I don't have a special document for the router. I will contact ATT to see if they have anything to say about this.

Thanks!

blueking

I chatted with ATT. The Rep apparently knew about the situation. She opened up the ports for me remotely. I will try the obihai-Google Voice again tonight after I hit home.

blueking

Well, it didn't work. So I contacted ATT again. They were super nice, but just could not get the job done.  At one time, the phone worked for a few mins and then my entire LAN went into trouble.  After a long while, I figured out that the tech person turned on PassThrough to my obihai box, causing the issue. So I disabled it.  Then after reading Obihai's page, it says these ports need to be opened.

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

After doing all the ports on the NAT/Gaming page, it started working.  What a pain!

Obihai link:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

drgeoff

Quote from: blueking on October 02, 2018, 04:31:53 PM
Well, it didn't work. So I contacted ATT again. They were super nice, but just could not get the job done.  At one time, the phone worked for a few mins and then my entire LAN went into trouble.  After a long while, I figured out that the tech person turned on PassThrough to my obihai box, causing the issue. So I disabled it.  Then after reading Obihai's page, it says these ports need to be opened.

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

After doing all the ports on the NAT/Gaming page, it started working.  What a pain!

Obihai link:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router
I've configured tens of different model home routers and not a single one had user controls for outgoing ports. Port forwarding (your NAT/Gaming) affects only incoming ports.

BTW. Pass through is what is more commonly called DMZ.

blueking

I think that outgoing ports are always open. However, the strange thing was that the last thing I did to make it working was opening up 16600-16998. Initially I made a mistake, didn't do a range and only put in 16600-16600.

ATT rep seemed to know that THEY had to open the ports for me (on their end). I don't know whether my opening of the ports in NAT/Gaming section did the trick or it was a combination of my changes and their changes.

Also, I spoke to a friend who also used ATT fiber. He used the PassThrough to his original router and every just worked, including his Ooma phone box.  So I could have done the same, but I do want to take advantage of the Ethernet ports on the new ATT device.