News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuration Guidance for Obi202 + Google Voice (October 2018)

Started by Tauneutrino, October 06, 2018, 02:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tauneutrino

1. Create a Google Voice Account: Assuming you don't already have a GV account, visit http://www.google.com/voice, sign-in and follow the process to get a new phone number. A few verification steps are required before you are issued a phone number.

2. Create an OBiTalk Account: Visit https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/.

3. Add your Device to OBiTalk:

Reminder: Check the box for configuring Google Voice for this device, then click "Next".

4. Dial the characters and digits presented on the screen then wait for the counter to reach zero seconds:

Special Instructions IF Binding your Obi device to your Obi account Fails:

1. If you receive a "failed" message, it could be that your router or Internet gateway is blocking essential ports. If this is the case, it could be that you need to configure port forwarding in the aforementioned devices to allow for TCP and UDP data packets to flow in/outbound. Here are the ports required to be free from restrictions:

Rule # 1 = TCP Start Port 6800 | TCP End Port 6801
Rule # 2 = TCP Start Port 5222 | TCP End Port 5223
Rule # 3 = UDP Start Port 5060 | UDP End Port 5061
Rule # 4 = UDP Start Port 10000 | UDP End Port 11000
Rule # 5 = UDP Start Port 16600 | UDP End Port 16998
Rule # 6 = UDP Start Port 19305 | UDP End Port 19306

Note: Each of the above rules will be assigned to your IPv4 address assigned to your Obi device (e.g., 10.0.0.55). Additionally, if it is possible to do so, configure the IP address in your router/gateway to "static" or "reserved" as opposed to DHCP so you have to be concerned with it changing as a result of DHCP refresh rules.

2. Login to the native administrative console of your Obi device via a new browser window (e.g., http://10.0.0.55). The default username and password should be "admin".

3. Focus on the left-hand menu, then find and expand the "System Management" tab and click on the link for WAN Settings.

4. Under "Internet Settings", uncheck "Default" for the following items: AddressingType, IPAddress, SubnetMask, DefaultGateway, DNSServer1, DNSServer2.

5. Enter the IP address for your ObiHai (e.g., 10.0.0.55); Enter "255.255.255.0" for "SubnetMask"; Enter the IP address for your gateway in the "DefaultGateway" field. As for "DNSServer1" and "DNSServer2", you can try using the values your ISP assigns (in my case, for Comcast, they are "75.75.75.75" and "75.75.76.76"), or use third-party values. As for me, I chose to change both values to those provided for free through Google ("8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4").

6. Scroll to the very bottom of the native administrative console page in which you just made the adjustment, then click on "Submit".

7. Click "Reboot" in the upper right-hand corner of this same page, keeping a watchful eye on the status of the LED lights on your Obi device waiting for the green lights to go dark momentarily, followed by a solid red light, then back to green and solid green for the first LED and fast flickering of the second.

8. You should see "Config Current" just below the "Reboot" button.

9. Navigate back to https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/ as depicted in the following image, then click on "Google Voice Setup" and follow the prompts accordingly:

10. Provided everything goes well, your effort to bind your Obi device to your Obi account should look something like this:

drgeoff

Quote from: Tauneutrino on October 06, 2018, 02:41:36 PM
1. If you receive a "failed" message, it could be that your router or Internet gateway is blocking essential ports. If this is the case, it could be that you need to configure port forwarding in the aforementioned devices to allow for TCP and UDP data packets to flow in/outbound. Here are the ports required to be free from restrictions:

Rule # 1 = TCP Start Port 6800 | TCP End Port 6801
Rule # 2 = TCP Start Port 5222 | TCP End Port 5223
Rule # 3 = UDP Start Port 5060 | UDP End Port 5061
Rule # 4 = UDP Start Port 10000 | UDP End Port 11000
Rule # 5 = UDP Start Port 16600 | UDP End Port 16998
Rule # 6 = UDP Start Port 19305 | UDP End Port 19306
From where have you ascertained that?

Obihai's FAQ at https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router:
----------------
What ports should I keep open on my router/firewall?
In order for your OBi to be able to send packets w/o interruption, please configure your router as follows:

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000
-----------------

Note that all of these except 10000 are outgoing.  Although intra-organisation networks may have restrictions on outgoing ports to the public internet it is extremely rare for home routers to impose any.  None of the tens of home routers I have configured had any user controls for that.  Most home routers have user configurable port forwarding but port forwarding acts only on incoming traffic.

It is very rarely necessary to do any port configuring of a home router to successfully set up and use an OBi ATA or OBi phone.

ashish1t

Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000 - how to setup this on router ?

SteveInWA