News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI1062 - switches between handset and headset while on call?

Started by PA18Cub, October 09, 2018, 06:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA18Cub

Hello everyone. I have a OBI 1062 that, on occasion, will automatically switch between handset and headset while on a call. I have a Bluetooth headset, which I usually use, but I also use speakerphone or the handset.

At first, I thought that the OBI 1062 was getting a connect signal from my Bluetooth headset, but I've removed the headset from the equation by removing it from the location, and the issue still occurs.

Anyone else experience this issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Zrinko

Brian,

I have the same unit and it does the exact same thing...It has been driving me crazy and when this first started few months ago, there were no other users reporting this issue.

The tech support never responded to my request for assistance.

I suspect the only way to fix this may be actually DISABLING Bluethooth headset, which in my case, is not workable as I use it WITH the headset about 80% of time.

Let me know if you've found any other solutions.

Best,
Zrinko

SteveInWA

This sounds like (no pun intended) a classic case of Bluetooth aggravation - when you have a BT headset paired to more than one device, and one of the other devices connects to the headset during the call.  It isn't specific to OBi phones.  I have two BT headsets, which are paired to multiple phones and to my car.  They will occasionally kick over to connect to the car or to one of the other phones, without me doing anything.

You could try completely turning off every other thing that the headset has paired-to, to see if that makes a difference.  Some other solutions, which involve spending money are:  buy another BT headset, and only pair it to the 1062, and never to any other device.  Or, buy a corded USB-attached headset, which will have much better audio quality than BT, or, most expensive, buy a DECT 6.0 cordless headset.

Zrinko

Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already purchased a new BT headset for this because I thought the issue was my old BT unit. Also, this new BT headset is dedicated to use with this phone and has never been paired to any other device.

This happens even with BT device is OFF, so I don't think this is a headset issue.

I may try a USB headset, just a test, but I really do need the ability to move freely, which is why I ordered a BT headset in the first place.

Also, one additional observation, which at this point is unconfirmed - if I restart the phone, this issue does not happen for some period of time, day or two...

Thanks,
Zrinko

PA18Cub

Hello everyone. Thanks for your replies.

I only have the one BT headset paired. So, conflict with another BT device isn't possible. Also, I've removed my BT headset from the equation as part of the problem by physically removing it from the location. So, there was no possibility that the OBI1062 was getting a connect signal from the BT headset.

This issue is solely within the OBI1062.

Best,
Brian

SteveInWA

Sorry to hear my suggestion didn't pan out.  If the device is under its one year warranty, then I suggest opening a support ticket.

Are you attaching the phone via WiFi or wired Ethernet?  If WiFi, I'd try disabling the WiFi connection and experimenting with the phone connected via Ethernet if possible.

Zrinko

Steve,

No worries...I appreciate your input and suggestions, despite the fact it did not work as fix in my situation.

I did try to contact support, but never received a response. And yes, my device is only about 4 months old.

I'll try again...

Best,
Zrinko

SteveInWA

If you can get by (when seated) using a corded headset, this web retailer sells the Plantronics "Blackwire" product line, at reasonable prices.  These are designed for call center use, so they should be reasonably rugged and good quality sound:

https://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs?QUERY=usb+headset&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

Zrinko

Brian,

I finally heard back from support, and they recommended a factory reset of the phone.

While I am not yet 100% that it worked, I have so far made number of calls using the speakerphone, without being switched to headset without my interaction.

If I had to bet, I'd say that doing a factory reset did indeed resolve my issue, but only the time will tell for sure.

Hope this helps...Below are the steps provided to me by the support:

Do the following factory reset, but first disconnect the Ethernet cable at the back of the OBi phone.

1.   Unplug the power (at back) of your OBi IP Phone

2.   Hold down 2 buttons (Home and Back button), as pictured.   

3.   Plug power back in until red flashing lights showing at top of IP Phone

4.   Release your hold

5.   Wait up to a minute to complete, seeing normal icons on at phone screen and hearing dial tone at handset and speaker.

6.   Reconnect the Ethernet cable back to SW port and direct to your router.

7.   Log back into your OBiTALK account ( at www.obitalk.com) with your@email.com.

8.   Follow steps to add device (or click Add Device at left), further authenticate to your Google Voice account your@email.com.  When "Connected" make test calls in/out.

9.   Then re-PAIR (Bluetooth) again, test calls in/out to see if issues remain.