News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware Foolishness

Started by FritzG, October 14, 2018, 12:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FritzG

Hi,

So, I was reviewing my environment at home when I decided to check the firmware settings and versions available which led to a sickening feeling that yet another product is about to go down the tubes.

Something simple that should be straightforward is not.  Well, it is and it isn't.

My current settings are ...

ModelName:  OBi200
HardwareVersion:  1.4
SoftwareVersion:  3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)
FirmwareURL:  IF ( $FWV < 3.1.1.5695 ) FWU http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5695EX.fw

BUT when I checked the site/forum to see what thew latest version is I see ...

OBi2 & OBi3 Series Universal Adapters:

OBi200/202/300/302: OBi200/202/300/302
3-2-1-5757 (10.4MB)
Last Update November 2017

In addition, the recommended firmware update URL for automatic updates is listed as something different than the above URL.

I imagine this has something to do with becoming a part of Polycom.  Hence, the sickening feeling in my gut that soon, what used to work perfectly and without a subscription fee will no longer stay that way.  Buggy software will be rushed out to enable this revenue stream model and Obhai will be no more.  I will disable automatic updates to ensure I am not pulled into that model and just use it as is until it stops working.  Then, just toss it into the scrap heap of perfectly good technology that worked until the subscription model effed it up.

Can anyone shed any light on this confusing mix of versions and URL's?  My device is working fine with no issues so this is all just part of a standard semi-annual review of my environment (which I haven't done in a year). 

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Fact:  after the first couple of years of keeping the forum updated with firmware information, Obihai stopped doing so.

Fact:  the devices are fully supported and no going away.  The crappy forum doesn't indicate anything with regard to the products.

Fact:  if your device requires a firmware update to fix some significant issue, it will be pushed to your device.

Bottom line:  as of today, 5898EX works fine.  There is a 59xx build appearing on some new units, but it doesn't seem to be important enough to push to all devices.

FritzG

Steve,

Fact: If the only place to know what versions of firmware there are with their related release notes is in the forums (which you admit are crappy) then that means that part of support is crappy and I have every right to feel and express frustration about it in my post.

Fact: You took my post as a personal attack on Obihai (and to you personally maybe?) but in actuality, it was just a post asking for specific information and thinking out loud why not having this information can lead to unwanted situations.  Something as simple as being able to see a list of released firmware and the related release notes for a particular device is not a big ask. I mean, how often do they update the firmware anyway?  Obviously, I don't frequent the forums much (gee, I wonder why I hate posting on internet forums) since I didn't know they stopped doing so in November 2017.

Bottom line: My device still works and I am still happy with it but your answer was unnecessarily hostile and unhelpful.  Feel free NOT to respond to any future posts I make (if I ever post again).

SteveInWA

Drunk post much?

I was a) agreeing with you that Obihai does a bad job documenting firmware releases, b) sympathizing with your annoyance over it, and c) confirming that it does not indicate anything about the longevity of the products.  I don't work for Polycom, and I could care less how you feel about the company, so no, that was in no way any sort of attack.

When you sober up, consider signing up for an anger management class.

vtsnaab

Yep, this is definitely that troll's MO:
Quote from: FritzG on October 14, 2018, 07:44:53 PM
...your answer was unnecessarily hostile and unhelpful.

Of course wounded denials always follow, along with further, very personal attacks, as clearly shown here:
Quote from: SteveInWA on October 14, 2018, 07:52:48 PM
Drunk post much?
When you sober up, consider signing up for an anger management class.
If there was EVER a clearer example of a truly rotten, malicious, unhelpful troll - well, I'm glad that I've not seen it.
(BTW - at several other forums this same troll is regularly mentioned as someone to simply ignore.)

FritzG

HAHAHAHA.  Thank you vtsnaab!  That made my day.

vtsnaab

Glad to hear it.

What speaks loudest to me is that anyone, anyplace would EVER give a verbally abusive, unhelpful troll any sort of responsibilities to communicate with other folks;
There can be no good to come of such a poor fit.

This reminds me of a similarly verbally abusive store manager, who was obviously worked to the breaking point...
She was so very nasty to so many gentler folks, caused so many of her staff to simply quit, and had so many complaints made about her abusive ways that she was lucky they had an opening in the stock room for her.
The replacement manager is well spoken, kindly and helpful.

Every once in a while somebody, someplace does actually make things better !!

JMPR

I do not understand why latest firmwares are not published for downloading for the rest of us that have the product unlinked to obi site. I use my obi300 in Spain, and if I link it to the site, it changes various settings that make it stop running properly in Europe phone lines.
So, the only way for me to update the product is a direct download.
Where can I find the latest? Why arethere users that sometimes publish updates? Where do they find the links?

drgeoff

Quote from: JMPR on October 25, 2018, 02:59:11 AM
I do not understand why latest firmwares are not published for downloading for the rest of us that have the product unlinked to obi site. I use my obi300 in Spain, and if I link it to the site, it changes various settings that make it stop running properly in Europe phone lines.
So, the only way for me to update the product is a direct download.
Where can I find the latest? Why arethere users that sometimes publish updates? Where do they find the links?
They are not published because there is no-one at Obihai who has all four of time, willingness, know-how and authority to do it.

I do not understand your remark "make it stop running properly in Europe phone lines."  An OBi300 does not connect to phone lines. Europe, N. America, anywhere.

JMPR

Quote from: drgeoff on October 25, 2018, 04:50:07 AM
They are not published because there is no-one at Obihai who has all four of time, willingness, know-how and authority to do it.

I do not understand your remark "make it stop running properly in Europe phone lines."  An OBi300 does not connect to phone lines. Europe, N. America, anywhere.

The obi portal changes my tone patterns, phone port (analog phones are different here), etc. Obi supposes I'm in USA.

No one at obi may publish the link in the forums? How users that publish them (there are some links with updated fw) get that information?

drgeoff

Quote from: JMPR on October 25, 2018, 04:57:52 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on October 25, 2018, 04:50:07 AM

The obi portal changes my tone patterns, phone port (analog phones are different here), etc. Obi supposes I'm in USA.
I'm in the UK with an OBi110.  I configured the phone port and the line port for the UK settings where they differ from the US ones.  Connecting to the portal does not revert them to US settings.