News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 no dial tone

Started by travel, October 15, 2018, 02:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travel

I get no dial tone on either phone ports.  These were set up with seperate google voice numbers on both ports, dont know exactly when the dial tone went out, but was working previously.  tried unplugging to reset multiple times.  Cannot log in via device ip address.

drgeoff

Quote from: travel on October 15, 2018, 02:43:05 PM
I get no dial tone on either phone ports.  These were set up with seperate google voice numbers on both ports, dont know exactly when the dial tone went out, but was working previously.  tried unplugging to reset multiple times.  Cannot log in via device ip address.
What is the status of the 4 LEDs on the 202?

If your Obi202 is connected to your LAN by a cable plugged into the INTERNET socket of the 202, by default logging in via that is disabled.  It can be enabled by logging in and changing a setting or by dialling a certain sequence of digits.  Catch22 for you!

There are two other ways:

1.  If your device has not been reset to defaults - merely unplugging and repowering does NOT reset it to defaults - then you should be able to access its configuration settings using Expert mode on the Obitalk portal.  Does the portal show the 202 as being "online" or "offline".

2.  The OBi202 has a second ethernet jack labelled "LAN".  Connect an ethernet cable from that to your computer.  Direct connection between the two.  Reboot the computer if it is set to get its address by DHCP.  If the computer has a static IP address you need to change it to 192,168.10.2.  You should then be able to log in to 192.168.10.1.

If you can get in to the 202 by either of the above, I or others here can advise further diagnostics.

travel

I did a factory reset, but before the reset, the power was solid, 2nd led flickering green, 3rd led of,4th and 5th solid. 
was not able to do a ** 222222222 or any other **.
so now I have the Ethernet cable in the lan port, and I am logged into the units web portal at 192.168.10.1, where do i go from here?

drgeoff

Quote from: travel on October 15, 2018, 04:21:22 PM
I did a factory reset, but before the reset, the power was solid, 2nd led flickering green, 3rd led of,4th and 5th solid. 
was not able to do a ** 222222222 or any other **.
so now I have the Ethernet cable in the lan port, and I am logged into the units web portal at 192.168.10.1, where do i go from here?
1. Click on Status, then click on Phone Port Status.  Report here the values shown.  Don't need the LastCallerInfo though that should not have survived the factory reset.

2.  Click on "Device Admin".  In the Web Server section, locate the "AccessFromWAN" line.  Click the tick box to clear it.  Change the "No" to "Yes".  Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit".  Click the "Reboot" button at top right.  Reconnect OBi's INTERNET socket and your computer to the router as originally.  Power cycle the 202.  Reboot or reconfigure static IP on the computer.  You should now be able to log in to the OBi using its IP address as indicated in your router's information page.

travel

all values under phone port status are blank.

drgeoff

Quote from: travel on October 15, 2018, 05:13:50 PM
all values under phone port status are blank.
Bad news!

That usually means the phone ports are fried and you need a new OBi.

Did you have the phone(s) plugged directly into the OBi or did you have the OBi connected to existing house wiring?

travel

was plugged into house wiring

drgeoff

Quote from: travel on October 15, 2018, 05:19:07 PM
was plugged into house wiring
Very likely that is the cause of your predicament.

If the house wiring is not properly disconnected from external wiring then stray voltages can find their way into the OBi's phone port and kill the phone interface chip in the OBi.  Examples of those stray voltages are testing of lines by the owning telco and voltages caused by lightning strikes during thunderstorms.

travel

pretty sure it is not still connected to the telco company's wiring from the street, I set up phone and networks for residential customers of mine  so I understand wiring (at least I think I do).  unit is wired into the house wiring but only goes to one single cordless phone base, none of the other jacks within the house are connected.
Can this unit be repaired under warranty, and if so how do I proceed?
Thanks

drgeoff

Repair is not cost effective.

I'm just a fellow user so not my call as to whether this should be replaced under warranty.  If it were my call, I would say no.

travel

I have already ordered a replacement unit, and if this one can be repaired or replaced I would keep as a back up.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Travis