News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No Incoming Calls

Started by Krawfo, October 17, 2018, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krawfo

Hello All,
I just set up my Obi 200 and Google voice today.  I can make outgoing calls fine.  When receiving calls, my phone doesn't ring and goes straight to voice mail.  All the lights on the Obi are green.  SP1 shows Google Voice connected.  I disabled SIP AGL in my router.
Google voice only shows outgoing calls.  There are no voicemails even though I've left several.
Any help would be MUCH appreciated. 

SteveInWA

Welcome to OBiLand.  The no-inbound-call symptom can have several causes.  The typical cause is that you authorized the OBi device to use the wrong Google account:  an account that doesn't have an inbound Google Voice number.

Use a laptop/desktop computer, not a tablet or phone.  Open a browser window.  If you're using Google Chrome Browser or Safari, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an incognito browsing window, or, if you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a private browsing window.  Using that window sign into the one and only one Google/Gmail account that you used to set up your Google Voice phone number, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.

Do you see your Google Voice number at the top of the page, under "Account"?  If not, it's the wrong account, or you didn't set up a number.  If you do see the number, then, still in that incognito/private browsing session, press Ctrl-T to open another browser tab.  In that tab, go to your OBiTALK dashboard:  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/.

Click on your device to go to its main configuration page.  Click the trash can to the right of the SPx you set up with Google Voice and wait a few minutes, watching while your device reboots.  After it's stopped gyrating, then click the SPx again, and set up Google Voice.  This time, make darn sure that the account that it asks for your permission to use is the same account with the Google Voice number.  Complete the procedure and then call the number from some other, unrelated phone number, not another GV number, and not a number you linked as a forwarding number.  What do you, as the caller hear, exactly?  Does it ring the OBi-attached phone?  Does the Phone LED on the OBi device blink while you, the caller, hear ringing?  If it rings, can you answer the call?

Krawfo

Steve - thanks so much for the reply.  I followed your instructions and links but still no joy.  Same results as before.
The phone doesn't ring but I immediately hear a voice mail message.  When I place a call the phone icon on the Obi goes from solid green to blinking green during the call and back to solid green when I hang up.

SteveInWA

That sounds like you have Google Voice's do not disturb feature turned on.  Go to Google Voice settings and check.

Also:  look at your list of linked/forwarding phone numbers.  What's on the list?  If you have any phone numbers that are no longer in your control, delete them.  If you have none, then add at least one traditional land line or mobile phone number, unplug the OBi from power, and test again.  The calls should ring the linked forwarding phone number.  This will isolate the problem to Google Voice vs. OBiTALK settings.

Krawfo

Thanks again.
Do Not Disturb is turned off.
I linked my wife's cell phone to my Google voice account.  When I call it, her cell phone rings and the phone icon oon the Obi stays solid green.
Here's a screen shot of my Google Voice account:

SteveInWA

I'm unclear what you mean by "I linked my wife's cell phone to my Google voice account.  When I call it, her cell phone rings and the phone icon oon the Obi stays solid green."

I assume that the "When I call it" is "When I call the Google Voice number, her linked cell phone number rings, but the call is not forwarded to the OBi device."

There is something screwed up with your OBiTALK device's configuration to Google Voice.  IF forwarding to actual phone numbers works properly, but forwarding to the OBiTALK device never reaches the device, then the next thing to do is to start over from scratch, deleting and factory-resetting your device first.

Please carefully read my linked instructions below, following every step in order, and do not skip any steps.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Finally, if that doesn't fix it, then follow these instructions next:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14643.msg93013#msg93013

Krawfo

Steve, thanks again for your patient help.  MUCH appreciated.
Let me start at the beginning - maybe that's where my problem is.
I previously had OOMA voip service.  I ported my number to T-mobile and then set up my Obi.
When setting up Google voice I did NOT choose a Google voice number - I just linked  my Tmobile ported number.  Is that where I goofed?

SteveInWA

I try to take it on faith that people at least understand the basics of Google Voice, and so I don't ask the most obvious question.  How to you expect people to call you, if you don't have a Google Voice phone number?

Of course that's your problem.  Google Voice is a call forwarding service.  You need a Google Voice phone number that people can call.  Google Voice then forwards those calls simultaneously to all 10-digit forwarding phone numbers you've linked, all Hangouts clients signed in and enable to ring on inbound calls, and all Polycom OBiTALK products configured to use the service on that Google account.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en&ref_topic=1707989

Krawfo

Ok I now have a google voice number - lets call it xxx-1111.  How do I get the desk phone set that's connected to my Obi to ring when someone calls my number that I ported to Tmobile - lets call this number xxx-9999?  I have xxx-9999 linked to my Google voice number.
I can make outgoing calls on the desk handset but incoming calls ring on my iPhone.

Sheffield_Steve

You can't.

It seems to me that you want your xxx-9999 (currently on T-Mobile) to be your main number that people call to talk to you.

If that's the case you have to port your T-Mobile number to Google voice.  (Make sure it's been with T-Mobile at least a week though)

Quote from: Krawfo on October 18, 2018, 01:15:13 PM
Ok I now have a google voice number - lets call it xxx-1111.  How do I get the desk phone set that's connected to my Obi to ring when someone calls my number that I ported to Tmobile - lets call this number xxx-9999?  I have xxx-9999 linked to my Google voice number.
I can make outgoing calls on the desk handset but incoming calls ring on my iPhone.