News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fax with OBI202

Started by SGLLC, October 19, 2018, 11:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGLLC

i am having alot of trouble trying to send and receive faxes, i have an HP officejet pro 8720, i sent a fax to the google voice number i am using as the fax number, my fax machine rings when i send the fax to it but the fax always fails.

i have set the fax speed to the slowest available and i also disabled ECM

any help is much appreciated, i am really trying not to use the OBIEXTRAS but i will turn to that if need be, i would just like to use my analog fax machine how i normally have been, thanks

jpiddle

Analog fax machines and digital phone line service (such as VoIP based lines) do not play well together. The fax machine was created in a time where it didn't know anything about digital signals, and it just doesn't do a good job coping with it. Some sort of fax-to-email service is really your best option nowadays.

S.R.

Quote from: jpiddle on December 18, 2018, 08:24:47 PM
Analog fax machines and digital phone line service (such as VoIP based lines) do not play well together. The fax machine was created in a time where it didn't know anything about digital signals, and it just doesn't do a good job coping with it. Some sort of fax-to-email service is really your best option nowadays.
What about the Windows 7 built in Fax where you connect the phone line to the computer?

drgeoff

Quote from: S.R. on December 18, 2018, 11:56:22 PM
What about the Windows 7 built in Fax where you connect the phone line to the computer?
A PC with a fax modem (needed to connect PC to phone line) is exactly the same signal-wise as a conventional fax machine.

S.R.

Quote from: drgeoff on December 19, 2018, 02:32:43 AM
Quote from: S.R. on December 18, 2018, 11:56:22 PM
A PC with a fax modem (needed to connect PC to phone line) is exactly the same signal-wise as a conventional fax machine.
What if I am not using an Obi device or going through the Obi portal? I am using a PAP2T and connecting to GV through PBXes GV SIP Interface as described here:
https://www2.pbxes.com/community.php?display=forum&news=1

drgeoff

GV calls, even to or from an OBi device, do not go through the OBi portal or Obihai servers.