News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Where are WiFi settings stored?

Started by JohnGee, October 19, 2018, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnGee

I am wondering just where the settings for my WiFi adapter in my Obi200 are stored.

If I look at the ObiExpert settings for the WiFi, the 20 slots show no information, but the Obi does connect by WiFi.
Is the setting stored within the wifi usb device itself?
Or do the settings just not show in the #1 slot as I expected they would.

Thanks.

azrobert

Do you see any ! next to any value. If you do, uncheck both boxes to the right.

JohnGee

No, there are no ! characters next to any settings in the 20 access points.
I tried un-checking both boxes and on access point 1 and no data showed. This is a new Obiwifi adapter and it has only been setup once, so I would expect the working settings to be stored in slot 1.

I guess I could check them all to be sure....

added: Maybe the settings are write-only and do not show for security reasons... I want to add a 2nd SSID but do not want to overwrite any existing.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

You must be looking in the wrong place...wrong OBi device or something else.  The settings are stored on the OBi device, just like any other setting, and no, they are not "write only".  The AP name is shown in clear text, and the passphrase is shown as ********

JohnGee

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 19, 2018, 04:37:47 PM
You must be looking in the wrong place...wrong OBi device or something else.  The settings are stored on the OBi device, just like any other setting, and no, they are not "write only".  The AP name is shown in clear text, and the passphrase is shown as ********

I still cannot find any of the settings. I go to Obi Expert config, ObiWiFi Configuration/ WiFiSettings and there is no info in the SSid fields, even when I uncheck ObiTalk settings and Device Default.

I checked Access Point 1, 2  and 20 by unchecking settings checkboxes, but still see no detail.
Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
I am checking via the working WiFi connection, not by hard wired Cat5 connection. Currently I am traveling and my SurfacePro has no RJ45 connection.

John

JohnGee

I have found the settings for the AP 1 by exporting my settings to a backup (.XML) file and see this:-

<O>
    <N>DeviceInfo.WiFi.AP.1.</N>
    <P>
      <N>SSID</N>
      <V>NETGEAR28</V>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>SecurityEnabled</N>
      <V>Yes</V>
    </P>
  </O>

Now I am sure the present settings are in Access Point #1 so will start adding from AP2 to get the next details loaded.
I still find it strange that the SSid name does not show via ObiExpert.

John

azrobert

Can you see the settings when logged in directly using the ip address of the OBi200?

JohnGee

Quote from: azrobert on October 20, 2018, 10:05:30 AM
Can you see the settings when logged in directly using the ip address of the OBi200?

Hi azrobert, Yes, when I log onto the Obi200 using the IP address, I do see the WiFi settings.

Many thanks for alerting me to that.  :)

John.

azrobert

That's strange. After you add the 2nd AP make sure the 1st AP isn't overlaid with blanks.

JohnGee

Will do, Thanks. I will try it later today or tomorrow....