News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1022 voice quality issues

Started by RRSRER, October 23, 2018, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRSRER

Hi Everyone,

I've been enjoying my OBi1022 for over a year now and I've never had any issues in linking to my Google Voice.  i've noticed over the last week or so, when placing calls people other the other line cannot understand anything said to over the line.  They say I come in with extreme static.

I've noticed I have to power cycle the phone and it temporarily corrects the problem

Any suggestions what I can do to help this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio

SteveInWA

Hi:

That sounds like a hardware failure to me, unless your internet service has a problem.  There are no user serviceable parts inside the phone, but if you have a spare power adapter with the same voltage and amperage rating, you can try swapping it out to see if the problem goes away.

There are some simple things you can try to determine if it's a hardware problem or not.  Call **9 222 222 222 to reach the OBiTALK echo test.  Talk and listen to determine if the audio is clear or not.  Take your phone somewhere else, to a friend or neighbor's house, or to work, and see if the call quality is better - if it is, then you have an internet problem.

RRSRER

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I rean the echo test and there are no issues.  I can hear my voice just fine.
but i did recently restart my phone.

I will try again later on

Thank you
Sergio

J-of-OurIT

I've had similar issues with a single phone on my network.

There are 6 phones that work perfectly, but the most used one winds up with slowed down, choppy audio at least once per day. Rebooting fixes the immediate problem, but the issue comes back.

I've replaced the phone (an Obi1062 over wired (pass through, then tried wifi, then replaced it with an Obi1022 on ethernet (pass through to pc), then added an ObiWiFi to the Obi1022 and tried running it over WiFi, today I put a switch in and am trying it over ethernet, but without the pass through - hopefully this configuration works)

does this seem related / any advice?

SteveInWA

Don't use WiFi in a business environment.  Multiple users will degrade the signal quality required to have a clear call.  Use hardwired Ethernet through a switch.

J-of-OurIT

No kidding. I'm just trying anything at this point.

The 1022 is connected to a switch, to the wall jack, to the server closet. We are still experiencing these crackly, "stretched-out" (the choppy voice comes in as though one is repeatedly hitting play/pause on a vhs, slowed down and garbled) 2 or 3 times a week.

This is my 2nd device I've tried here, any thoughts?

SteveInWA

It's not a device problem.  It's a network problem.  There is nothing in the phone that would fail in such a way as to cause that symptom.

If you can take the phone home and try it on your personal network, that would be a good troubleshooting step.

J-of-OurIT

Both the 1062 and 1022 work well at home, but I could never replicate the stress testing necessary to figure this one issue out.

The only thing left (that I can think of) is the wiring from the server closet to the wall jack. Could it be degraded such that calls usually go through but occasionally this happens - or is this a routing issue? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to rectify on our UniFi based network.

SteveInWA

The symptom suggests that there is intermittent network congestion on your office LAN and its connection to the ISP. 

Troubleshooting that is beyond the scope of this forum.

J-of-OurIT

Was worried about that. What keeps bugging me is that there are 8 Obi phones (and 3 obi202's) and all but that single one work flawlessly.

lrosenman

Quote from: J-of-OurIT on November 26, 2018, 01:13:44 PM
Was worried about that. What keeps bugging me is that there are 8 Obi phones (and 3 obi202's) and all but that single one work flawlessly.

What's different on the network between the bad one and the good ones?

SteveInWA

Quote from: lrosenman on November 26, 2018, 03:45:12 PM
Quote from: J-of-OurIT on November 26, 2018, 01:13:44 PM

What's different on the network between the bad one and the good ones?

And, why not swap the failing phone with one of the other phones, to see if the problem goes away when it's plugged into another LAN port, or if the the problem still persists, suggesting a hardware or configuration problem.

If it was me, I'd delete both phones off of the OBiTALK portal, then do a ***9 factory reset on the phones, then re-add them and configure them to the other phone's former configuration (thus swapping just the hardware and not the config, to further isolate the cause).