News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Compatibility with Phones

Started by johnnieO, October 25, 2018, 09:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnieO

After a conversation with Obihai Custom Service I purchased
an Obihai OBi202 unit and a VoIP phone. IT services
indicated  that VoIP phone will not work with this devise.

To be clear, I'm a bit confused about connecting the
Obihai and VoIP phone. Are these two units
compatible or is the Obihia devise only compatible
with standard phones (non SIP, non VoIP).

Thank-you 

drgeoff

A VoIP phone is essentially an ATA (such as an OBi200) and an analogue phone integrated into one unit.

An ATA, such as the OBI2xx models, converts an analogue phone into a SIP VoIP phone.

If you have a VoIP phone then it will do what most users want without needing an OBi ATA.  However, the two can be "paired".  It is not child's play to configure but will enable the VoIP phone to connect to Google Voice.  It will also make it possible to use a larger number of Internet Telephony Service Providers.

(Please delete your duplicate post before others reply to it.)

johnnieO

You must be right!.

My goal, as communicated to Obihai was to eliminate monthly payments for a landline
by replacing it with an Obihai devise and a quality phone. The agent indicated any phone
would work, in response a recertified Panasonic VoIP phone was purchased for $85 (down from $360).

Your response indicates that it may require a technician or teleco savvy person to configure the
VoIP phone with Obihai unit. Am I reading you right? If so, do you recommend returning the VoIP phone
and picking up regular phone from Polycom or equivalent?

If so, can you recommend a quality desktop handset phone with a quality mic and speaker.
Hands-free communication is requires so that notes can be taken during calls - without sacrificing
voice quality.  Another option would be a conference phone. However, it is only myself in the office,
no others will be conferencing on my side. Wonder, Is it necessary to purchase a conference phone
in order to get a professional grade mic and speaker or is it possible to purchase a desktop/handset
with best quality mic and speaker?

Hoping that your your answer may be, connect your VoIP phone to the Obihai - you just need.....................
If not, will return it and take your recommendations for a desktop or conference phone.

Thank-you for considering this circumstance

johnnie

drgeoff

Encounters with Obihai agents do not always end well for the customer.  He/she probably meant any regular POTS type analogue phone.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15192.msg95278#msg95278 is an example of the threads here about using VoIP phones with OBis.  Does it make sense to you or is it all Greek?

I'm in the UK so am not familiar enough with what phones are available to you to make any recommendation.

johnnieO

Oh brother, the issues exposed on the link would drive me nuts.
It's not clear if the VoIP phone purchased would have similar issues,
probably 100% change, and am not in a position to fix issues
such as these,

So, thank-you. It appears that it's back to the drawing board for
a POTs phone,

johnnieO

Not long ago was able to speak with sales support within 5 minutes,
without charge,

Appears that policy has changed, access to sales seem improbably,
after waiting 30 minutes  and phone message from Obihai indicate that
support requires a fee or subscription. Is this true in all cases, for example
if the unit was just purchased? Do you know of a sales or support number'