News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Enviromental concerns

Started by Ostracus, September 11, 2011, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

I'm thinking of mounting a Obi110 in an out of the way place were dust over time may be an issue, and putting it in an enclosure, or will the unit be OK without one?

tome

Quote from: Ostracus on September 11, 2011, 05:29:56 PM
I'm thinking of mounting a Obi110 in an out of the way place were dust over time may be an issue, and putting it in an enclosure, or will the unit be OK without one?

I don't know the answer specifically but perhaps someone from support may comment if they have any experience. 

Looking at my Obi110, it gets warm at one spot on the bottom so if you are going to put it in an enclosure you would need to have some airflow through it.  The case has quite a few vent holes so any dust is certainly going to get inside.  On the other hand, I've had electronics in some pretty dirty areas that have run just fine for years and years.  Given the price of the Obi, you might buy two, configure them identically and set one aside (out of the dust) in case the other dies - at which point you build a box with fans and filters.

My $0.02 fwiw,
Tom

earthtoobi

Have it well ventilated.Just have an Air duster and use it from time to time. you can also choose to place it on top of a cooling pad that is really inexpensive(some are free after MIR).
there is no point in getting another obi as a spare. Obihai might come with newer hardware(just speculation) too and it would make sense to go for that.
wrt settings, you can export them and have them tucked away.

Ostracus

Well my trusty infrared thermometer says the temp at the vent holes is 97 Fahrenheit. Looks like whatever enclosure I use (commercial or homemade) there will need to be plenty of room. Another reason for an enclosure is there are too many "wild things" that like electronics. Within the living space is possible, but I want to keep the aesthetics presentable with all parts considered (UPS, Obi110, wiring, etc).

Ostracus

Stuck it in a homemade enclosure. So far so good. Note to self, use a bigger gauge of phone wire.