News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 With Kellogg Redbar Phone

Started by TheBaconBaron, November 01, 2018, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBaconBaron

I'm attempting to get a vintage Kellogg 1000 Redbar phone up and running with an OBi200.  The designation stamped on the base is 1000 HBK1.

It's connected with a Google Voice account.  So far I've been able to adjust the "RingVoltage" parameter to get the phone to ring properly when the google voice number is called.  

The current problem I'm having is that picking up the phone doesn't answer the call - the phone just keeps ringing.  Does anyone have recommendations on where to start with getting the OBi200 to properly recognize the off hook state?  In the "PHONE Port Status" section of the OBi200's web interface, it never changes from "On Hook".

I suspect that a combination of these parameters in the "PHONE1 Port" page of "Physical Interfaces" section of the web interface might be a good place to start:
OnHookTipRingVoltage
OffHookCurrentMax
IdlePolarity
ConnectPolarity

I'm not sure what the best strategy for modifying these values will be.  I've taken a look at OBi DeviceAdministration Guide https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf but I didn't find much help from the descriptions of the parameters.  Does anyone have advice?

Thanks!

drgeoff

1.  Have you checked that the hook switch is actually working?  Ie putting a dc path across the pair?

2.  OBis do not support pulse dialling, only DTMF.  SO you have another issue ahead of you.

TheBaconBaron

Thanks for your reply!

Regarding #1, because I'm starting from square one, I'm not sure of the best method for testing this.  I do have a multimeter but don't have much experience using it.  I'm guessing I could test between two contacts of the connector and get readings with the hook switch in both positions?

Regarding #2, I'm aware of this and I've ordered an adapter that I'm hoping will allow me to dial out by converting the rotary dials to tones.

zapattack

What do you hear in the receiver when you pick up the phone?
You did not mention if you hear dial tone.
If nothing, the hook switch needs adjusting or cleaning,
or there is a bad connection internally.

TheBaconBaron

When I pick up the receiver, I hear nothing.  I was avoiding poking around on the internals of the phone until I got more advice from folks who know more about this than I do :)

drgeoff

Quote from: TheBaconBaron on November 02, 2018, 08:46:06 AM
When I pick up the receiver, I hear nothing.  I was avoiding poking around on the internals of the phone until I got more advice from folks who know more about this than I do :)
A non-faulty OBi always gives dial tone to an off-hook phone.  Doesn't need any configuring, nor even an ethernet cable plugged in to give dial tone.

So until you prove that the phone is working you can stop trying to get things working by messing with the OBi.

TheBaconBaron

Well I went digging through the innards.  It looks like the phone has been serviced a few times, and the most recent time it may have been given up upon.  The four wires of the rotary dial weren't connected to the chassis.  Fortunately I found this forum post and schematic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14243.0

I followed the diagram to reconnect the dial (although the wire colors were different than the schematic).  The phone came back to life, the dial tone works, it can receive a call, and the ringer still works.  Now we'll wait for our pulse to tone adapter to see if we can make outgoing calls :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!