News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone with Talking Caller ID based on Address Book?

Started by Babz, November 02, 2018, 10:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babz

One thing I really miss from my landline days is Talking Caller ID. I still get talking caller ID with my Panasonic phones, but it speaks the number, not the person's name, since googlevoice doesn't supply Caller ID names, only the number.

One workaround is to store your friends and frequent callers in your phone's Address Book. Then it will display the person's name for numbers stored, even though the phone service is not providing the caller's name.

I have 4 different models of older Panasonic phones. 3 of them have talking caller ID, but they still just display and speak the numbers, not the names, even though I have names stored in the address book. I have one slightly newer model of Panasonic phone, and it WILL display the names of callers in the address book, but it is not a Talking Caller ID phone. So, I get the names, but not the talking.

If you're still with me  :), here's my question...

Does anyone know of a phone that has Talking Caller ID and will do so based on names stored in the Address Book? If so, can you tell me the model number? (Panasonic preferred).

Any other creative solutions to Caller ID?

Thanks!

Babz

N7AS

I use an AT&T CL82413 DECT 6.0 cordless phone and it displays and announces the Name.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

Get a low cost Callcentric account and configure a spare SP slot on the OBi for it.  Change the forwarding destinations on your GV settings page to add the Callcentric number and remove the OBi.  Your outbound calls are unaffected but calls to your GV number will reach your OBi via Callcentric.  Callcentric adds Caller Name info.

azrobert

I have a Panasonic KX-TG6545. It announces the stored phonebook name. The lady in the phone mispronounces some words.
Quote from page 34
https://panasonic.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/MSC/om/KXTG6572R.pdf

Phonebook name announcement
When caller information is received and
it matches a phone number stored in the
phonebook, the stored name in the
phonebook is announced.

This phone is several years old and I don't think it's still available new. I assume all the new Panasonic phones with talking callerid have this feature. Just check the manual.

Babz

Quote from: azrobert on November 02, 2018, 10:41:55 AM
I have a Panasonic KX-TG6545. It announces the stored phonebook name. The lady in the phone mispronounces some words.
Quote from page 34
https://panasonic.encompass.com/shop/model_research_docs/?file=/MSC/om/KXTG6572R.pdf

Phonebook name announcement
When caller information is received and
it matches a phone number stored in the
phonebook, the stored name in the
phonebook is announced.

This phone is several years old and I don't think it's still available new. I assume all the new Panasonic phones with talking callerid have this feature. Just check the manual.

THANKS! I've gotten used to the mispronounced names, so I should feel right at home. :-)

According to the PDF, the official name for the feature is "Phonebook name announcement". So now I just need to check for that feature in the documentation of any phone I'm considering.

Great tips. Thanks, everyone!

Taoman

I have a Panasonic KX-TG6841 that announces the name (CNAM). You can either enter the name into the phone itself or forward to Callcentric and receive CNAM that way.

It works either way.