News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Sipdroid and Obitalk on one GV account

Started by classpro, March 16, 2011, 03:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classpro

I have set up my cellphone to use sipdroid with google voice, which allows me to make calls over my data plan or wifi using GV.  It uses the google chat interface just like obitalk.

I just got my ogi phone gadget.  I set it up with a different google voice account, and have asked google to switch my phone numbers so that I can keep my old home phone number with my obi account.  However, until the switch is made, I'd like to be able to use my obi.

My question is how the obi and sipdroid will work together if at all.  Will provisioning obi cancel the provisioning of sipdroid?  Somehow, I assume, the google chat interface needs to know what to connect with.  I'm not sure how this works.  Any advice?

Pinan

I am actually having a problem with this. With mucho help from Snow02 at droidxforums I was able to get incoming working on both the Obi110 and Sipdroid, but only Sipdroid has outgoing (11 digit dialing only). Both Obi and Sipdroid show Status as registered at pbxes.org.

Calling out with the Obi results in hearing "There is no service available to complete your call". So close and yet so far. Ack.

Phone is a LG Optimus V.
Single GV account
Google Chat checked in the GV web interface.
Obi110 w/ newest firmware 1892

Any input is appreciated. :-)

classpro

I don't need to receive calls on my sipdroid account, so this is not a problem for me.  I am able to make calls on both OBI and sipdroid, and receive calls on OBI, and using sipdroid did not disable OBI receive.  I suspect the last device that is provisioned is the one that will receive calls.

My problem is that I filled out a form to transfer my GV number to a different Gmail account, and now II want to cancel the transfer.  How do I cancel it? 

Pinan

Quote from: classpro on March 20, 2011, 07:09:12 AM
My problem is that I filled out a form to transfer my GV number to a different Gmail account, and now II want to cancel the transfer.  How do I cancel it? 
Sorry, I have no idea. But considering Googles support, that may not be possible.

I did find a "fix" for the calling out problem on the Obi though. Dialing two asterisks (**) before the 11 digit # works. Now to change the dial plan to eliminate the need to use them.

I now can make and receive calls on both the Obi and Sipdroid.

Fletch

Q for you guys. I also have sipdroid and have been wondering if that is why I have been having issues with the Obi app for android. I shutdown the service yet people still say they can't hear me , though I hear them fine.

So you are not having any issues with outgoing call quality with the obi app?

With yesterday's news that the Deathstar will soon be absorbing T_mobile, I really need to get this working. Obi you are now my only hope!

Pinan

Quote from: Fletch on March 21, 2011, 10:04:40 AM
1. So you are not having any issues with outgoing call quality with the obi app?

2. With yesterday's news that the Deathstar will soon be absorbing T_mobile, I really need to get this working. Obi you are now my only hope!

1. Sorry. I don't use ObiOn, just the ATA itself.

2. I hear you. My T-Mobile contract expires in May. Bye bye....

classpro

I am not having any trouble with call quality.  I wonder if you have something on your router that's blocking your obi device?  I don't think it's related to your use of sipdroid.

Also, I tried obion for android, and it seems to work fine, but it's kind of cumbersome to call your own obi gizmo and answer all of the prompts to make a call to a phone number.  Sipdroid works directly with google voice, so it's much easier to make a call.  I don't need to receive calls on Sipdroid, so it's not a problem, but I'd be interested in having a post of the solution for dual sipdroid/obi ringing when you find it.

My biggest worry is that Google will mess up my system because of the request I submitted to transfer my number to a different account.  Google voice is a great service, but if anything goes wrong there is really no way to get support.  Support from them is a complete black hole. 

Fletch

Well I try and keep sipdroid disabled..I want to try and use OBI for everything. Know what you mean about Google support but I will say after a few years of use I have had almost zero problems with them.

About Obi being cumbersome: If you use the latest firmware and software, you can make direct calls just like Sipdroid and not have to deal with the attendant. I think the only thing I had to do was set the default gateway in the client (on the web portal) and then I could do direct dialing. They say you still have to do the 1+area code but that will be fixed soon. Give it a try.

My problem with the Android client is very strange. I can call my voicemail at work and the call sounds just fine. Before I came to work this morning, I called one of staff and he also said there was no problem at all. Yet if I call my sister or another friend , they both can barely make out a few words here and there. They both are using cell phones but one is Verizon, the other T Mobile. Now when I first called my voicemail last night, I had a fan running in the background and at the start of the call, it was pretty loud . But some kind of automatic volume control kicked in and then all was fine. Very weird.

Pinan: Have you though about who you will switch over to?

classpro

I dodged a bullet with my Google Voice request - I apparently didn't have my pin set up in GV, so it rejected my transfer request (yea!). 

I just noticed the obi update.  Will update when I get home tonight and try obion android again to make a call.  Would be great if it worked without going through the attendant (and from the phone list) like sipdroid.

Pinan

Quote from: Fletch on March 23, 2011, 08:17:50 AM
Pinan: Have you though about who you will switch over to?
Sorry Fletch. I missed this post. I have switched to Virgin Mobile. $25 mo for 300min and unlimited data/test/web. Great deal. $40 gets you 1200min and unlimited d/t/w/also.

Sipdroid gets me all the extra minutes I may need, if on wifi.

frunple

Has anyone figured out a way around this yet??
I can't use SIPDroid anymore and I would like to. Would uninstalling Obion fix it?