For those connecting to Google Voice using a PBX/Asterisk rather than OBi device

Started by Taoman, November 15, 2018, 09:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

If case you haven't already seen this, you may want to read this post from a Google Voice engineer:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32189252-

I would say this does not bode well for alternative methods of connecting to Google Voice using GVSIP other than using an OBi device. Sounds like a warning you could lose your Google Voice services. Not worth the chance.

QuoteI'm Alex Wiesen, Head of Engineering for Google Voice. I am speaking for Google Voice when I say that this project is in violation of our program policy.

SteveInWA

Actually, this is nothing new, and I've been saying it for years.  Alex simply took the opportunity to provide an official statement on DSLReports.  There is so much indignant, opinionated BS on that forum from a few members, especially them endlessly harping on an inaccurate comment posted months ago by a Google Voice employee, that it's worth clarifying.  The Terms of Use and Acceptable Use Policy haven't changed in years.  Google Voice is not some GPL open source freebie service.  It belongs to Google, and Google is a business, that can define its own terms.  Nobody can claim entitlement to use the service.

Marc

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 15, 2018, 04:50:53 PM
... Nobody can claim entitlement to use the service.

Yet the few outspoken on that forum can't help themselves.  I still can't believe how much people bitch and moan about the deprecating of the 100/110.  Even after years of free phone service using that device, these people believe they shouldn't have to spend $50 on a 200, for a few more years of free phone service.  It's painful reading that forum these days.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.