News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Failed: No Response on multiple Google Voice / Obi 508 Devices

Started by NTICloud, November 19, 2018, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay-Jay

Quote from: Jay-Jay on December 10, 2018, 12:05:28 PM
After diddling with the DNS changes, etc and not having it work I decided to go all out.

Steve,

If you read my post, just changing the DNS addresses on my router, nor changing them on the OBI through the web interface did NOT help. I had to go through the process of removing the OBI, doing a factory reset, and then adding it back and making the DNS changes. It was not hard to do.

And why in the heck would this not be advised? What harm is there in doing a factory reset and starting fresh?

-jj

drgeoff

Quote from: Jay-Jay on December 10, 2018, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: Jay-Jay on December 10, 2018, 12:05:28 PM
After diddling with the DNS changes, etc and not having it work I decided to go all out.

Steve,

If you read my post, just changing the DNS addresses on my router, nor changing them on the OBI through the web interface did NOT help. I had to go through the process of removing the OBI, doing a factory reset, and then adding it back and making the DNS changes. It was not hard to do.

And why in the heck would this not be advised? What harm is there in doing a factory reset and starting fresh?

-jj

Have you equated "nor advised" and "nor advisable"?  They have different meanings.

Jay-Jay

Talk to Steve before issuing a citation from the grammar police. He used it first. :) You are correct, there is a difference, though I think everyone reading these posts can figure out what is meant, either way. Hope I don't have any dangling participles or misplaced commas. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

Nuff said for me. Enough wasted bandwidth.

-jj

drgeoff

Quote from: Jay-Jay on December 10, 2018, 02:52:09 PM
That's a typical ploy by someone trying to close off a debate when knowing to be on a losing wicket.

It is quite clear that the "advised" in your "And why in the heck would this not be advised?" was intended to have the meaning of "advisable".

Neither the fix posted by torchredraider nor SteveInWA's posts included resetting and starting again.  SteveInWA's comment "None of the other stuff was necessary, nor advised." was accurate.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 10, 2018, 03:10:55 PM
Quote from: Jay-Jay on December 10, 2018, 02:52:09 PM
That's a typical ploy by someone trying to close off a debate when knowing to be on a losing wicket.

It is quite clear that the "advised" in your "And why in the heck would this not be advised?" was intended to have the meaning of "advisable".

Neither the fix posted by torchredraider nor SteveInWA's posts included resetting and starting again.  SteveInWA's comment "None of the other stuff was necessary, nor advised." was accurate.

"nor advised" means:  people post "solutions" here that are either unnecessary or incorrect.  Then, other people read the post, and they take that "solution" as gospel, and then spread the gospel.  The result is wasted time and effort, by other people.  Some people make things worse, by following the unnecessary instruction, but screwing it up, and now they have two problems.  Therefor, I was pointing out that the only thing necessary to solve this problem was to change the DNS.  Doing other things may or may not hurt, but they are not, by themselves, the actual solution.

Don:  "My car won't start.  What should I do?"
Dave:  "Have you tried waving a rubber chicken over the starter?  I did that after I replaced my car battery, and now the car starts fine."

chriszing

After waiting three days for Obihai and Google Voice to implement DNS change with no result, I changed DNS to 1.1.1.1.  Everything has been working.  Just wonder what is the situation now.  When should I change it back to standard setting?  Should I leave it alone until something fails again?

drgeoff

Quote from: chriszing on December 12, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
After waiting three days for Obihai and Google Voice to implement DNS change with no result,
That shows you don't understand DNS.  "implement DNS change" is, and never has been, something that OBihai or GV could do.

josephstern

So mine stopped working *again*.

I had changed to cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 servers.

Changed that back. Nothing.

Change the outbound proxy to "c.telephony.goog" and I'm back in action.

Can't wait to see what next week brings.

fastoy

Today I received an e-mail from admin@obitalk.com that said "Your OBi Device (...) is Offline". When I checked it a couple of hours later it was fine.

After last week's problems I had changed the DNS to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 and that resolved last week's problem.

nikd

my GV went out days ago and we never noticed.  A simple OBI device reboot resolved the issue for us (Dec 28).  The OBI dashboard was slow and reported offline even though it was working for at least 30 minutes..

(Obi200)

torchredraider

Update 3/12/2019
Obi202 offline and unable to connect to GV as of 1:15am CT.
Began diagnosis at 1:00pm, same day.
Multiple reboots via web interface and re-saving of GV credentials did not improve connection.

Replaced c.telephony.goog with obihai.telephony.goog by re-checking OBiTALK Settings in ITSP Profile A SIP menu and clicking save.
Device reconnected after 30 seconds.

Reference
dig c.telephony.goog and dig obihai.telephony.goog returned same IP address (216.239.36.144), unsure of cause

Taoman

Quote from: torchredraider on March 12, 2019, 01:45:47 PM
Replaced c.telephony.goog with obihai.telephony.goog by re-checking OBiTALK Settings in ITSP Profile A SIP menu and clicking save.
Reference
dig c.telephony.goog and dig obihai.telephony.goog returned same IP address (216.239.36.144), unsure of cause

Thanks. Your post helped me fix the same problem.

I had 2 OBi 200s connecting to the same GV account. One worked and the other gave the error message about being unable to connect to 216.239.36.144. I checked the config on the one that wasn't working and for some reason I had c.telephony.goog listed instead of obihai.telephony.goog. I made the switch and it connected immediately.

SteveInWA

I can't speak to how the OBiTALK portal configures Google Voice on 508s, but on the 200/202 configuration, obihai.sip.google.com is automatically configured, and is the correct value.  During the beta, there were a couple of other values used, but this is now the "production" value.

Unrelated to that, although 508s can use Google Voice, it is not recommended.  The free, consumer version of Google Voice is neither intended nor supported for business use.  Google can and does shut down accounts for abuse if it becomes aware of calling patterns associated with call center or telesales, or any other sort of business use that involves high-volume outbound calling.  If that happens, you lose all of your Google Voice phone numbers.  Now that Google has a paid, commercial version of Google Voice for G Suite customers, it's a good bet that they will step up enforcement.

It's best to use a 508 with one or more paid ITSPs.

MiKo

Quote from: torchredraider on March 12, 2019, 01:45:47 PM
Update 3/12/2019
Obi202 offline and unable to connect to GV as of 1:15am CT.
Began diagnosis at 1:00pm, same day.
Multiple reboots via web interface and re-saving of GV credentials did not improve connection.

Reference

Thanks for this, my disconnect was resolved following this post.

BobTeatow

Having similar problem on my OBI202 device with 2 different google voice accounts set up as SP1 and SP2 -- was working fine for I think, more than a year...

Now in last coupl'o'weeks the connection to google is going on and off a few times a day, seemingly random -- if I don't notice it, I get auto-email warnings like this from no-reply@obitalk.com :

"Service Offline Alert -- OBi Device (5004xxxxx) is Not Registered

Your voice service is not registering. This could be due to a temporary service disruption or an incorrect login credential.
In most cases, reconfiguring the voice service with the proper login credential will resolve the issue. "

I checked that  obihai.telephony.goog   is set.  So that's not the problem...

Help!