News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Static on Obi302

Started by n4mwd, November 20, 2018, 05:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4mwd

I have been using my obi302 for almost a year and suddenly it has developed static on one line.  Line 1 has an annoying static that people I call cannot hear, but Line 2 is still clean like its supposed to be.

Is the device defective?  I have also had issues with it not having enough ring current despite being turned up all the way in firmware.

drgeoff

What do you mean by "Line 1"?  If you mean you have two phones plugged in to the 302 have you tried swapping them over?  If that moves the static to "Line 2" you probably have a faulty phone.

Dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  Does your own voice come back to you clearly?

n4mwd

The obi302 has two lines (phone ports).  Swapping the connectors resulted in the static being swapped accordingly.  Its definitely a Line 1 issue.

However, I just got a call on line 1 and it was clear.  It was not clear an hour earlier when I first posted this topic.  I have not made any changes to the config in months. 

I have it connected to an asterisk machine so the standard dial codes are not going to work here.  The static was generated by the obi302 because it can be heard over the dial tone.  There is no connection to asterisk at that point.

So it appears to be an intermittent problem.  All lines are clear at the moment.

drgeoff

Quote from: n4mwd on November 20, 2018, 06:42:29 AM
I have it connected to an asterisk machine so the standard dial codes are not going to work here.

So it appears to be an intermittent problem.  All lines are clear at the moment.
Being connected to an Asterisk PBX does not of itself prevent the echo test number working.  My OBi is on FreePBX and reaches the echo test just fine.  No need to do anything on the PBX if you leave the **9 stuff in the OBi's dial plan and OutboundCallRoute.

Maybe you had some dirty or corroded contacts in the jack and unplugging, replugging has (temporarily?) cleaned them enough.  Would also explain your ring current problem.

Using the term "Line 1" is unhelpful.  Much better to use Phone 1 or 2 when referring to the physical ports and SP1 - 4 when referring to the services.

Your "Swapping the connectors resulted in the static being swapped accordingly." is ambiguous.  Without the " Its definitely a Line 1 issue." I could not be sure what you meant.

n4mwd

I changed the obi dial plan string when I first got it so that asterisk handles everything.  All the ** codes were removed. 

The normal Line 1 is connected to a single Panasonic cordless phone.  Line 2 is connected to a string of corded phones in the house.   At first, I thought it was RFI on the Panasonic, but the problem went away on the Panasonic and moved to the corded phones when I physically switched the cables.

After the problem went away, I switched them back to the original position and still no static on either line.  The problem went away when that call came in.  I am worried that there might be a cap inside the unit that is drying out.

The only thing I can do now is to wait and see if it happens again.