News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google outgoing calls stopped working [Does OBi202 work outside of the USA?]

Started by ppan, November 20, 2018, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppan

I have a Google account w/o a Google Voice number which I connected to OBi202 (SP1) for outgoing calls.
I have another Google account with a Google Voice number which I connected my OBi202 (SP3) for outgoing and incoming calls.

Both worked fine in the past. I am now traveling abroad and brought the OBi202 with me. Only SP3 works for outgoing calls, but not SP1 ("We could not complete your call. Please try again"). Both SP1 and SP3 shows as connected on the dashboard.

If I call using hangouts with the account connected to SP1, I can call out fine.

Anybody have any idea why I can't call using the OBi202 device and SP1 anymore? How would I troubleshot?

p.s. I tried to setup the SP1 account again, but it didn't help.

SteveInWA

Whoever you're calling with the Google Voice account that has no number, is probably blocking anonymous calls.

ppan

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 21, 2018, 11:08:51 AM
Whoever you're calling with the Google Voice account that has no number, is probably blocking anonymous calls.

I don't think that is the reason, because:
1. None of the numbers work, including toll-free directory assistance (1-800-555-1212).
2. They work fine when I use hangouts to call (but not with OBi202).

I wonder if it could be related to the IP address (I am currently abroad); For OBi202, I am getting a non-US IP address, but with hangout, I am using a VPN to get a US IP address (Hangout doesn't work outside of the US).
If that is the case, why does SP3 (has GV number) but not SP1 work (no GV number)?

SteveInWA

Sorry, but you'll have to troubleshoot it when you're back in the USA.

ppan

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 21, 2018, 03:00:06 PM
Sorry, but you'll have to troubleshoot it when you're back in the USA.
I brought the Obi202 with me because I needed it when traveling  :(....
Does anyone know if there are restrictions on using the Obi202 abroad?

drgeoff

My OBi1032 in the UK has been OK with GV until last weekend.  Since then I'm getting the GV lady saying "We could not complete your call.  Please try again" message even when dialling my own GV number.  That usually gives "To access your account ....".

Don't know if inbound is working or not. Apart from rebooting the phone (which didn't help) I haven't had time to do thorough troubleshooting.

SteveInWA

I don't know what DrGeoff's phone's problem is, but with regard to the OP's situation:

Officially, Google Voice is a USA-only service, meaning inbound numbers are not available nor officially supported for use outside the USA.  However, outbound calls can typically be made from any country where Google Voice service is available.  Here is a list of the countries where you can't make calls:

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646 (expand the sections on the linked page to see the list).

You have a working Google Voice number.  Use that one.  There is no reason to have a Google Voice account registered to an OBi without an inbound phone number.  If you want to make an anonymous call, prefix the call with *67