News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't add obi2182 as new device to obi dashboard

Started by dilmah, November 21, 2018, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paplefree

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 23, 2018, 08:01:25 PM

Well that's a bunch of B.S.

So is not being able to register any new devices for going on two days now, but per typical Polycom fashion they'll pull logs, find nothing wrong, reboot, and go about their business.

WildBillPDX

Just tried again and still failed. Any hint from Obi/Polycom as to when this will be fixed?

SteveInWA

Quote from: paplefree on November 23, 2018, 08:14:28 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 23, 2018, 08:01:25 PM

Well that's a bunch of B.S.

So is not being able to register any new devices for going on two days now, but per typical Polycom fashion they'll pull logs, find nothing wrong, reboot, and go about their business.

This is absolute rubbish.  Polycom already acknowledged this failure to me, and they are working on it.  They know it's broken.  Go away; you're not contributing anything useful.

ILLCOMM

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 24, 2018, 02:18:35 AM

This is absolute rubbish.  Polycom already acknowledged this failure to me, and they are working on it.  They know it's broken.  Go away; you're not contributing anything useful.

As a "Hero Member & Beta Tester" you obviously have a bias. Step back for a second.

The unbiased reality is it is unacceptable for any service to have a multi-day registration/provisioning outage and produce no messaging, provide no communication with their customers, publish no ETA, furnish no dashboard reporting service health, or anything else that any other modern web service provider would do.

I am at my elderly parent's home for Thanksgiving trying to set this up for them as they moved and wanted to bring a 30-year old number with them to the new house (which I was able to port to GV). So, now, it appears I have to leave them behind without it working because of this BS.

It's OK to call it as it is, and in this case it's amateur hour at Poloycom Obihai or whatever company is behind the product.

RichR

Just tried this morning and nothing's new. I gotta say, that was not a good introduction to the OBi202. I hope that I made the right choice.

WildBillPDX

Quote from: ILLCOMM on November 24, 2018, 06:01:45 AM

As a "Hero Member & Beta Tester" you obviously have a bias. Step back for a second.

The unbiased reality is it is unacceptable for any service to have a multi-day registration/provisioning outage and produce no messaging, provide no communication with their customers, publish no ETA, furnish no dashboard reporting service health, or anything else that any other modern web service provider would do.

I am at my elderly parent's home for Thanksgiving trying to set this up for them as they moved and wanted to bring a 30-year old number with them to the new house (which I was able to port to GV). So, now, it appears I have to leave them behind without it working because of this BS.

It's OK to call it as it is, and in this case it's amateur hour at Poloycom Obihai or whatever company is behind the product.

I find the response from Polycom disappointing. I submitted a ticket via the website and an email to obi.support@polycom.com but haven't received any response. An acknowledgment of some kind would be good.

isaac_unixapp

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 23, 2018, 12:49:58 PM
Quote from: Batnumb on November 23, 2018, 11:31:47 AM
This is unacceptable. I wasted a few hours yesterday troubleshooting everything, from the dash to all the cables, before I stumbled on this posting. Still can't believe that no one at Obitalk has fixed this - like, no one can't connect to their server!

It's the Thanksgiving weekend.  Most people are off/out-of-the-office.  There is no 7x24 support.

I've already reported this to Polycom, and they are investigating it today.

Thanks for reporting this @steveinWA (talk about bias for action :-) - can you share a ticket number with Polycom? I am experiencing the SAME issue with a new OBi202 I've been trying to add over the Thanksgiving weekend. I do have another OBi202 that has been working   flawlessly; logic would dictate that it would be useful to put a sniffer on their end and see if they are receiving the registration attempts from the likes of us.   

isaac_unixapp

Quote from: RichR on November 24, 2018, 06:47:16 AM
Just tried this morning and nothing's new. I gotta say, that was not a good introduction to the OBi202. I hope that I made the right choice.

stick it out - others are reporting the same issue. Its a great product, I've been using them for years.

isaac_unixapp

btw - here's what I have tried, to no avail:

1) https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

2) the self-troubleshooting guide
https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/troubleshooting

There's a process that allows the device to "phone to the mothership" and check for new firmware.

Upon completion of it, though, here's what I see on my device:

HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion           3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

"Copyright (c) 2013" - not sure whether they're updating the year bit ?

WinRG

Chiming in, same issue.  Spent a few hours trying to wrap my head around what I was doing wrong on port forwards, initially I had the issue with NAT ALG but got that disabled, then the echo call was working but not Obitalk reg.  Finally went nuclear and hooked the Obi200 directly into a fiber ONT completely skipping the router and LAN all together and accessing the website with a cellphone, still does not register.  Port settings when behind the NAT must be right because the echo call is working.

Found other threads mentioning the same issue months ago too, so it's also a recurring issue.  They really broke the registration system if it needs reset every few weeks.
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14943.0
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14947.msg94440

Taoman

Quote from: isaac_unixapp on November 24, 2018, 10:01:52 AM
btw - here's what I have tried, to no avail:
There's no point in trying anything. This is a server side issue and won't be fixed until at least Monday. Lately, this has been happening nearly every weekend.

Quote from: isaac_unixappUpon completion of it, though, here's what I see on my device:

HardwareVersion   1.4   help
SoftwareVersion           3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

Latest version is 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) which you can download and update with manually if desired.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

mandeep

I am not able to add obi 200 just bought from Amazon. Echo test is OK and when we dial the number **5 XXXX it says number sent to server and after that nothing happen and the message is it failed. please advise what need to be done I am new to this unit and system.
Thanks.

dilmah

well, arguably adding device to dashboard is a one-time action, and most of normal operations (e.g. calling via SIP provider) do not require connection to obihai/polycom servers.

WildBillPDX

Quote from: dilmah on November 24, 2018, 11:36:53 AM

well, arguably adding device to dashboard is a one-time action, and most of normal operations (e.g. calling via SIP provider) do not require connection to obihai/polycom servers.

I think the point, at least to me, is an indication of the level of support one can expect for other aspects of the OBi products.  This seems to be a recurring issue and, though adding a device should be a one time event, what will happen if/when other functions fail?  Will Polycom react more quickly?  I now understand that support isn't 24/7 but this seems to be an unnecessarily long outage, not inconsistent with previous ones.

One further thought is that to have this occur during the "Black Friday - Cyber Monday" time frame may not be a good thing.

Portola1

Quote from: stef on November 22, 2018, 06:22:21 AM
same issue but with a obi200.
Probably an issue with obi server.

Let me know when it will be fixed on your side,

thanks

Same here with an Obi 200.  Power green, connnection green, all tests pass, DNS confirmed, rebooted modem and router.  Still unable to add the device.  I tried to call on Friday but there was no one there during regular office hours so I am assuming the staff took the long weekend.  I'll update if fixed.

paplefree

What is rubbish exactly? The three day outage? The lack of any official notice or communication? Or me saying Polycom's support sucks and has always sucked?

I've been working with Polycom and their products for 18 years. This is exactly the kind of support I've come to know and love. Hell, even paying for the premier support or whatever it was called at the time never really amounted to much. They're all very nice people, but at the end of the day still broken. Just like my phone is right now.

Tell you what, I'll go away as soon as Polycom fixes their server since you're apparently the only way to get an update out of them.

isaac_unixapp

Quote from: Taoman on November 24, 2018, 10:36:49 AM
Latest version is 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) which you can download and update with manually if desired.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

Many thanks for this tidbit, updated.
The copyright now reflects:
Copyright© 2018 Polycom, Inc.
I also see the font/image branding has changed from Obihai technology, inc, to Polycom.

AND, I am beside myself -- I am able to register the device now!  @taoman -- that pointer to the firmware update seems to have done it for moi -- many MANY thanks!!

haiml

dilmah

WildBillPDX

Any statement from Polycom as to the cause and fix for all this?