News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Direct Dialling International with GV (SOLVED)

Started by Clueless-in-Seattle, September 14, 2011, 10:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clueless-in-Seattle

Hello,
I've been researching the forums and the documentation and I have not found mention of this basic configuration need. It may just be so basic that people figure it out immediately and I'm just too silly to do so :)

In any case, I have configured my Obi110 with GV and I can dial out from my DECT 6 cordless to any US/Canada number by just punching the 10 digit number with no issues.
For the sake of alignment in the semantics, I call this direct dialing.

However, if I direct dial 011-xxxx I just get a busy tone.

I could call my own GV number and then press 2 to initiate the international call by then dialing 011-xxxx within GV, but this process is less elegant than direct dialing, since it involves so many numbers and steps.

Is there a way to enable international calling by direct dialing through GV just as in the POTS systems of yore?

Thanks in advance for your help!

RonR

Have you made any changes to the PHONE Port DigitMap/OutboundCallRoute?

Please post the contents of:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap

Clueless-in-Seattle

No - I have not done any configuration beyond the auto-configuration wizard that Obi provides.
In fact, I have no clue what you mean by DigiMap

RonR

Try dialing : 011 1 800 555 1212

Does that get also get a busy signal?

If so, dial ***1 on your OBi telephone and note its IP address.

Then navigate to:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap

and copy/paste the value displayed in a reply.

Clueless-in-Seattle

Hello,

That sent me to a call free directory assistant service. So essentially even though the number I called was a US number (1-800), the device still allowed me to dial 011 and was smart enough to drop it?

Does this imply that I can direct dial international numbers by using 011 with no further setup needed?

If so, any idea why I get the busy tone trying to call an actual international number?

RonR

What it says is : the OBi is doing its part (i.e. the OBi is configured properly).

Google Voice is smart enough to recognize that the country code (1) is the US.

The busy is coming from Google Voice or the number you called through Google Voice.

Do you have credit in Google Voice to make international calls?

Clueless-in-Seattle

Well, as it turns out, I didn't have credit. I thought I had, because I had 2 bucks or so in my old GV account, and I forgot I had opened a new GV account just for the Obi, so there. Silly me.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!! It would be good if the Obi documentation explained the "auto" detection of international calling. I was used the the + sign in GV and obviously my conventional phone does not have a + symbol on it.

Anyhoo, very pleased on this device. Thanks to the forum contributors once again!

Cheers.