News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Buying a new Obi

Started by DNasty, November 15, 2018, 09:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNasty

I need a new Obi for Google Voice support in a home. This is only 1 line and 1 phone connected. I had the Obi110 and Obi100 series before and they're not working anymore. I even used Simonics and now that is not working anymore either. I was thinking about getting the Obi200 but I would like to know if a new version is coming out or already out. I see they have Obi3 and Obi5 series devices and I just don't want to buy a Obi2xx and have it go out within the year. Do they have plans for a new version for home coming out or should I pull the trigger and get 200? Is there anything I should buy with it to make sure I don't lose GV connectivity?

drgeoff

Anyone who knows about new models won't be saying.  It is expected that the current models will be given a cosmetic make-over to reflect the new branding arising from the takeovers.

The 30x models have been out for about the same time as the 20x.  The only difference is that 20x support Google Voice and 30x does not.  The 50X models are not aimed at home users.

An Obi200 is the replacement for the OBi100 and the OBi212 is the replacement for the OBi110.  Maybe you can find a good offer around Black Friday time.  Sometimes discount codes are publicised in these forums so keep watching.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on November 15, 2018, 01:51:05 PM
Anyone who knows about new models won't be saying.  It is expected that the current models will be given a cosmetic make-over to reflect the new branding arising from the takeovers.

I know, and I am telling:  Polycom is continuing the OBi 2xx product line.  It isn't going away any time soon.

bitstopjoe

I saw the Polycom versions on Amazon at a higher price. So my question is, is the higher price for cosmetic reasons
( black cases which really look nice) or did they do something else ( I.E. better components?) If all it is, is a nice shiny new coat, not worth the extra cash, in my opinion anyway.

Joe

ceg3

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 15, 2018, 04:36:45 PM

I know, and I am telling:  Polycom is continuing the OBi 2xx product line.  It isn't going away any time soon.

Sexy new look!

SteveInWA

Quote from: ceg3 on November 17, 2018, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 15, 2018, 04:36:45 PM

Sexy new look!

Yah, and the IP phones have also been updated with the new look.  It's like buying some grocery product, after they've modernized/updated their labeling, and the package says "New Look!  Same Great Taste!"

ceg3

I kind of like the utilitarian look.  I can remember years ago getting my first OBi100 and thinking it looked like a tiny toy to me.

mellaby

It may have looked like a toy, but it was the best $30.00 I've spent on a electronic product. I can't even fathom the thousands of dollars I've saved on long distance charges.

vtsnaab

Yes, the costs avoided with the wonderful little 'toy' have been astounding.
Now, if only the 'new & improved' ones could be had for that same, mere $30 - that would be a terrific xmas present !!

SHarp

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Obi20X, I don't see any risk.

Even if they discontinue the series tomorrow and come out with new ones, I cannot see google changing the service in any big ways now that the new connections are up and running. So, even if they are discontinued, they aleady work with the new GV service,and I suspect they will for a long time. You don't go to that much trouble to make it work if you are going to flush it 6 months later.

ProfTech

I recently upgraded an Obi 200 to 5921EX and was pleasantly surprised to find a completely new web interface! Lots of new configuration options and a modernized look. Polycom obviously spent quite a bit of time on the new firmware and aimed for more business usage. So the I think the naysayers were wrong. Now if we can get g722 instead of one of the obsolete codecs it would be worth the extra $10. I also had an issue with 5898 that was corrected but I don't know if it was fixed in 5921 or it corrected itself by a factory reset but either way I am happy.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ProfTech on November 20, 2018, 11:54:09 AM
I recently upgraded an Obi 200 to 5921EX and was pleasantly surprised to find a completely new web interface! Lots of new configuration options and a modernized look. Polycom obviously spent quite a bit of time on the new firmware and aimed for more business usage. So the I think the naysayers were wrong. Now if we can get g722 instead of one of the obsolete codecs it would be worth the extra $10. I also had an issue with 5898 that was corrected but I don't know if it was fixed in 5921 or it corrected itself by a factory reset but either way I am happy.

Opus is the wideband codec being supported by Google Voice and other service providers.  It's already on all of the Polycom / OBi IP phones.  I don't expect any effort to be made to add it to the ATAs, since the analog phones plugged into the ATAs can't do wideband audio.  Yes, it's more efficient, but the PSTN doesn't support it.

johnbradley

Quote from: DNasty on November 15, 2018, 09:38:13 AM
I need a new Obi for Google Voice support in a home. This is only 1 line and 1 phone connected. I had the Obi110 and Obi100 series before and they're not working anymore. I even used Simonics and now that is not working anymore either. I was thinking about getting the Obi200 but I would like to know if a new version is coming out or already out. I see they have Obi3 and Obi5 series devices and I just don't want to buy a Obi2xx and have it go out within the year. Do they have plans for a new version for home coming out or should I pull the trigger and get 200? Is there anything I should buy with it to make sure I don't lose GV connectivity?
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Obi20X
showbox movies

drgeoff

SteveInWA

It appears that the ones for sale on the Canadian Amazon are not being sold by major/authorized retailers, but by people with random business names.  I'm going to guess that they're buying them in the US, and marking them up to whatever they want, and then offering them for sale in Canada.

lhm.

As of 12/14/2018 NewEgg has promo code EMCERET58 ($16.00 off) available for Obi200. About $34.00 US.