News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 - Switch from FIOS to Optimum blocks everything

Started by DanJS, November 30, 2018, 05:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJS

I am at a loss.  I switched my broadband providers and now Obi is blocked.  I am using the exact same configuration - except now the FIOS G1100 gets DHCP internet address through an Arris Surfboard 6183 which has no integrated firewall function.  I should not need to change the G1100 firewall since the Obi traffic was flowing through that unblocked when the backbone was FIOS.  When things stopped working I tried opening all listed TCP and UDP ports without success and when that didn't work I set it to minimum security and all Obi traffic is still blocked.

Any suggestions?  Unless Optimum is blocking the traffic on the backend I'm really not sure why the introduction of the cable modem could impact any firewall settings inside my house!

Thanks,

Dan

SteveInWA

What does "blocked" and "everything" mean, exactly?

There is no need to create any firewall rules. The G1100 should act as the DHCP server to the local LAN and it should assign IP addresses to connected devices.  An ordinary consumer-grade router does not need any ports opened up or other special settings to work with an OBi device, and (unless the Trump FCC has changed things), it's illegal for Optimum to block you from using the service, so I doubt they are doing that.

Does anything else connected to your router connect to the Internet and work properly?

Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***1.  Does it play back a local IP address?  If not, you have a fundamental problem.  It could be something as dumb as a damaged Ethernet cable or plug or socket, or one that is not properly seated.

If it does get an IP address, then what happens when you pick up the phone and key in **9 222 222 222?

DanJS

OK -

Within the home I receive a dial tone - I can get the voice announcement of the IP address and connect to the OBI 200 via local network to see the administrative screens.  I can also log in to my dashboard on the ObiTalk site.  What is completely blocked is all traffic in between.  I have many other devices still working over the same network: both LAN connected and WiFi connected - a ROKU 3 and a bunch of phones and computers can all access outside content and internet works as normal.

When I dial the echo server I get the message: "there is no service available" and I get it instantly.  I have updated the firmware and changed DNS servers per some instructions in other threads.  Still cannot make a test call and all attempts to register the device by dialing **5 and the provided four digit code all fail despite hearing a voice stating that the number dialed was sent to the server.

I guess I could eliminate Optimum as the culprit if I just direct connect the OBI 200 to the ARRIS SB6183 cable modem and see if traffic flows again.  That would leave me with a deep dive into the innards of the G1100 I bought from Verizon.

drgeoff

Quote from: DanJS on December 01, 2018, 07:49:43 AM
When I dial the echo server I get the message: "there is no service available" and I get it instantly.  I have updated the firmware and changed DNS servers per some instructions in other threads.  Still cannot make a test call and all attempts to register the device by dialing **5 and the provided four digit code all fail despite hearing a voice stating that the number dialed was sent to the server.
Your OBi is not reaching the internet. You'll get that "The number you dialled **5 ... sent to the server" even in that case.  The OBi needs only a LAN connection to speak that.

So what happens when you connect the OBi directly to the cable modem, reboot the OBi and dial the echo test number?

DanJS

I plugged the OBI 200 directly into the cable modem and it was found on my OBI Talk dashboard and voice service restored.  As soon as I went back to having it plugged into the G1100 router which is plugged into the same cable modem it went to status "offline" and no phone service.

I wonder why the G1100 allowed the traffic to flow when FIOS was the backbone but won't allow the traffic to flow when it is a DHCP connected "router" downstream from the ARRIS cable modem.  It makes no sense to me - since the firewall would be active under either scenario - and no packets are blocked when FIOS is the backbone with the exact same LAN-connected cable!

DanJS

After some research and much trial and error - following instructions to disable DHCP within the OBI 200 and assigning a specific IP address resolved the problem without having to shut off firewall or do DMZ server.  I have no idea why the extra hop caused the default setup to fail - perhaps multiple DHCP services accessible in the environment?  The ARRIS surfboard is not supposed to have DHCP services as it is just a "plain" modem but I am no DOCSIS expert so I can only speculate.  Thanks for letting me request some feedback and assistance.

SteveInWA

Good work, and thanks for the "epilogue".  For the sake of accuracy, the OBi 200 does not have any router functions and does not have a DHCP server.  You merely assigned an address to the device, which it is getting from your former FiOS router.  You're correct about the ARRIS box, it's just a modem.  From the standpoint of the router, there is no difference between the Internet WAN connection, be it from FiOS or from a Cable modem.  FiOS ONTs provide an Ethernet interface that gets its public IP address from the DHCP server at the ISP head-end, just like a cable modem.  Your router acts as your private DHCP server.