News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower Raised Rates - Do I need them?

Started by Franksr, March 19, 2019, 06:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franksr

My Obi100 is working fine.  I have used PhonePower since 2014 when Google quit working with Obi.  However, PhonePower raised the rates from $34.99 to $46.58.  I want to eliminate the line but the wife says NO.  Is Google Voice now working with Obi Numbers again?  I have my Google Voice number call PhonePower's number and it calls the Obi device.

Any ideas?

drgeoff

Quote from: Franksr on March 19, 2019, 06:50:36 AM
My Obi100 is working fine.  I have used PhonePower since 2014 when Google quit working with Obi.  However, PhonePower raised the rates from $34.99 to $46.58.  I want to eliminate the line but the wife says NO.  Is Google Voice now working with Obi Numbers again?  I have my Google Voice number call PhonePower's number and it calls the Obi device.

Any ideas?
No, the OBi100 cannot connect directly to Google Voice.  You need a 200 or 202 to do that.

Sheffield_Steve

That seems like a lot of phone service.  Have you looked at other providers such as Callcentric?

Lavarock7

I agree, Callcentric and Voip.Ms are two services I use. Both offer good service, many options and cheap service.

You can port your number to one of them and configure them on the Obi.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ceg3

Quote from: Franksr on March 19, 2019, 06:50:36 AM

Any ideas?
No offense, but I'm kind of surprised you find 46.58 a lot for a full service VOIP line. I am a PP sub and I pay a 59.99 locked in rate for the past 4 years and I don't think that is all that much.

SteveInWA

Agreed, their rates are very competitive for an established, full-service ITSP (not a fly-by-night operation).

Aside from that, they have several less-expensive plans.  See my screenshot.

bettyhills

My very reasonable $59.99 PhonePower ObiHai Plan appeared on my credit card 4/15/19 at $88.15 and the $34.99 plan was billed at $62.09 without any advance notice. 

It is the reason I am following this thread, and, like the original poster, would like an answer to the question, do I need PhonePower?

Is it possible now to use my Obi202 with Google Voice only?  Or must I continue to use a VOIP/SIP service?  (As you see, I know little including the exact terminology.)  If a service is required, which one do other users recommend as stable and affordable? 

ObiTalk.com is confusing.  Is ObiExtras at $4.99 a month a VOIP/SIP service?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

drgeoff

Quote from: bettyhills on April 30, 2019, 11:34:34 AM
My very reasonable $59.99 PhonePower ObiHai Plan appeared on my credit card 4/15/19 at $88.15 and the $34.99 plan was billed at $62.09 without any advance notice.  

It is the reason I am following this thread, and, like the original poster, would like an answer to the question, do I need PhonePower?

Is it possible now to use my Obi202 with Google Voice only?  Or must I continue to use a VOIP/SIP service?  (As you see, I know little including the exact terminology.)  If a service is required, which one do other users recommend as stable and affordable?  

ObiTalk.com is confusing.  Is ObiExtras at $4.99 a month a VOIP/SIP service?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
GV does not provide 911 service.  You need a different service provider for that.

The clue to OBiEXTRAs is in the name.  It provides "extras" and does not of itself enable making or receiving calls. https://www.obitalk.com/obiextras

KevKan

Franksr

If you will look at your detailed invoice on PhonePower, I believe you will find they are still charging you $34.99/year.

The difference of $27.10 is in taxes and fees.  I think in prior years they were not applicable so none were collected. 

I am in Kansas and my recent renewal in April was $34.99 plus $12.72 in taxes and fees for a total amount of $47.71.

jbuszkie

Ugh!  I just noticed my bill went up too!  Did something expire?
Now I'm getting ~$4 state sales tax, $18 911 fee and other federal charges!

That's like $24 over my $60 fee I've paid the last several years!

Jim

tomgarven

Hello Frank: 

Well yes $46/year does sound like a lot until you consider that is only $3.88 per month.  Pretty reasonable for phone service.  You could try some other services but Phone Power has always worked well for me.  Have a great day.

jbuszkie

I just switched over to callcentric.  I'm using the North America Basic for ~$2/mo.
We'll see if I stay happy with them!

Phone power would not even respond to my e-mails about why the increase so they are now canned!

Jim

bluechip

A Localphone subscription costs only $1.60 per month for 800 minutes of outgoing USA calls. My Localphone DID, for unlimited incoming calls, is $0.99 per month. With both an Obi200 and an SPA122, I have been a satisfied Localphone customer for several years. Localphone works well, is inexpensive, and is reliable. Only con is that Caller Name is not shown. Callcentric is my backup.

ceg3

Even though, I suggested to the OP that a small increase doesn't seem unreasonable, I am now considering letting my PP account expire in November after five years.

I am thinking about relying solely on my GV number for home phone and dropping PP, to save a little money. I also just upped my mobile plan from a super cheap 10 cents a minute GoPhone plan (ancient plan grandfathered) to unlimited talk and text and believe it or not adding data for the first time, not relying solely on wi-fi.

Figuring my PP would be going up, due the mandatory Internet tax requirement and hearing others complain about their increases, I figured I would have additional incentive to let it lapse.  I called PP billing to look into this and was told my 59.99 a year OBi plan would not be going up. Nothing has changed and the current rate would remain in effect until I make some change.  He even put me on hold while he confirmed it and stated that if it goes up to just call for an adjustment (hmmmmmm) he said he noted this on my account.

Now, I'm retired (except for my 25 hour a week part-time job) and every dollar counts.  Otherwise I wouldn't even consider worrying over 60 bucks.  Anyway, I thought other PP subs might find this interesting.

Ginta

Just wanted to add here, my Phonepower renewal came up and price went up from $35/yr to $42.61/yr.  After looking at latest invoice and invoice history it appears they were not charging state and federal taxes the last 6 years, but they are now.  The base price is still $35 but now $7+ in taxes are listed.  Keeping them for now, but may consider a different provider at next renewal.