News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to Understand Google Voice and Hangouts

Started by LTN1, December 02, 2018, 06:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

I recently read some preliminary reporting that Hangouts classic will likely be phased out after 2019 (I understand there have been no official word from Google yet) and current Hangouts users will be migrated to a new platform.

Currently, my original GV number is used with the OBi and Hangouts classic. I am hoping that if Hangouts classic gets replaced, it will allow the connected GV number to transition with it. Should there be any concerns that the Google Voice platform and numbers may also be replaced with a new app which may affect OBi users?

SteveInWA

That amateur shitstorm of gossip started by 9to5google is nutzo -- it's like one big circle-jerk of techie blogs copying each other until "it must be true", regardless of what the actual manager at Google says.  It's like "pizzagate".  Users love to hate on large corporations, and have been complaining for years about Google's fragmented messaging strategy.  It you look at what's available now, vs. in the future, the changes that have been made all year to ramp up VoIP support should be a good indicator that Google is investing heavily in the VoIP space.

Since the phase-out of Google Chat/Talk, Hangouts has been the VoIP calling client, capable of making outbound calls and receiving inbound calls wherever in the world it's supported, optionally using the account-holder's Google Voice number.

This year, Google introduced a public beta test of WiFi/4G VoIP calling built into Google Voice.  The beta is closed, but the function is working fine, with some remaining occasional bugs.  It will eventually be open to use by every Google Voice user, either on a web browser or on the Android or iOS apps.

This built-in VoIP function means that Hangouts will no longer be necessary for telephone calling, as it is already unnecessary for MMS, support for which has been added to Google Voice.

None of this impacts OBiTALK devices whatsoever.  Google's new platform for VoIP was purpose-built for support of OBiTALK devices, and so they have a bright future.

LTN1

I'm glad you replied, Steve. Everything you shared makes sense. The fake gossip/fake news is unfortunate.

Louis-in-TX

I have noticed a change on using Hangouts recently.  I have not had a cell phone associated with my GV account that is linked to my OBI200 for a long time.  I used to be able to make a call using GV from my computer.  When I placed the call using GV, it would pop up a window that says "Google will call your phone and connect you to xxxxx" with a dropdown list I could click "Using Hangouts" and place the call using my computer as the handset.  Recently (sometime in the last week or two), the option to call using Hangouts has disappeared so there is no way to place the call unless I associate a cell phone with the account.

Anyone else seeing this?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Louis-in-TX on February 06, 2019, 06:40:28 AM
I have noticed a change on using Hangouts recently.  I have not had a cell phone associated with my GV account that is linked to my OBI200 for a long time.  I used to be able to make a call using GV from my computer.  When I placed the call using GV, it would pop up a window that says "Google will call your phone and connect you to xxxxx" with a dropdown list I could click "Using Hangouts" and place the call using my computer as the handset.  Recently (sometime in the last week or two), the option to call using Hangouts has disappeared so there is no way to place the call unless I associate a cell phone with the account.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hello:

There is currently a known bug that is causing this behavior.  It will go away automatically within a few days.  Meanwhile, if you would like to make a phone call from your web browser, you can call directly from the Google Hangouts website, here:  https://hangouts.google.com/