News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Out going call, after remote pick up, I only hear white noise

Started by aleet, December 02, 2018, 08:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleet

I have Obi202 fw 3.2.2 with only one GV.  When I call someone, when the other side up pick, I only hear white noise, not fax/modem retrain.  The other side can hear me.

I tried to enable option #27 for 100bps full duplex, didn't help.
I tried to change Fax Detect but there is no option to disable.

Any help?  Thinking of returning the product.

I also saw in forum, other users have same problem (Forum search for "white noise").  Is there a way to open official Obi ticket?

aleet

All I hear is static.  This is very annoying.  I get static like 60% of the time.  The number I am trying to call is a Xfinity number if that matter. 

bluemusestudio

Hi Aleet,

I've had this problem for many months, but today I had a breakthrough and my calls seem to be going through fine. It's too soon to declare this fixed, but I'll tell you what I did so you can try it.

In my Obi dashboard, I deleted SP1, my primary line for outgoing calls and that rings for incoming calsl. In my Google Voice account, I went back to the legacy UI and unchecked all my lines for "forward calls to" i.e. not forwarding GV to any other phones. I also deleted my OBiTALK Device which was listed in this section.

Finally, I went back to my Obitalk dashboard and under "Add device" I added back my Obi202 and reconnected it to my GV account.

Worth a try because it's working for me for the time being.

aleet

Hi bluemusestudio,

Thanks for confirming I am not alone.  I assume you mean clear out the Obi202 configuration of GV. Also clear out config on GV legacy.  Then add the service back?  I will give that a try.

I notice, I only have this white noise problem when I call a Comcast (Xfinity) residential line.  Unfortunately that is that's the number I need to call multiple times a day.  I have to call that number 2 or 3 times then it will work fine.  It annoys the heck out of both of us.  If that number calls me, it works every time.

Obi202 is Google approved so most things should be worked out.  I don't understand the most basic function to make one call does not work.  I also wonder why Obi is not monitoring these forums when they see ppl have problems, they just do nothing?

drgeoff

AIUI both GV and Obihai have been aware of this problem for months and are working on it but there is no ETA for a fix.

bluemusestudio

Glad to hear that the problem has been acknowledged and that a fix may be in the works. For the time being, I have found one rather inconvenient workaround: from my Obi-attached phone, I dial my own number to reach my GV account. From there, I enter my GV password followed by # and then press 2 and then when prompted enter the destination phone number followed by the # key. I've programmed my own number into my phone so there are fewer buttons I need to press. This seems to work reliably, as does initiating the call from my computer or via the Hangouts app on my cell phone.

CPC_obi

I have had the same issue as Aleet for about a year.

For me its intermittent.  I may go weeks with no issues making outgoing calls and then I will have days where a high percentage of outgoing calls result in white noise when the person I am calling picks up.  I will call multiple times in a row with the same result. (I can call someone else in-between attempts without this issue). Try the problem number again and get white noise again. If the person I am calling gets annoyed and calls me back, the call connects fine without issue.   If they don't call me back and I grab my Verizon cell phone (bypassing obi and GV)  the call goes though without issue... so I only have the issue on the Obi.  On other days I can call the same number using my obi and not have any issue at all.  (To be clear its not just one number I am having the issue with. On bad days its a large percentage of outgoing calls to multiple numbers yet other numbers work fine)

Obi replaced my obi200, obi support reconfigured it several times and I still have the same intermittent issue. When I am having the issue, I have restarted my Asus router and my ob200 and it doesn't make a difference.  I have tried using corded phones and cordless phones connected to the Obi200 and both have the same issue.

Currently running obi200 w/ 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) and having this issue again today.  Nothing today has changed at my end since working fine yesterday.  My internet connecting with xfinity is working fine today as it is most days. I have the same devices on at my location as other days.... but today for some reason I get white noise when the person I am calling picks up.  Some numbers I call are fine. Some numbers I call who have xfinity phone service are fine. Other people I have tried multiple times and all I get is white noise.  That same person I called without issue yesterday using my obi and I can not call them now using obi but can using my cellular service.  Based on my obi200's historical performance over the past year, I will likely be able to call that same person again in the next few days without making a change to anything at my end.  I just don't know when that will be.

I hope to see a fix soon that works for everyone.
:-\

aleet

I did not update my Obi firmware but past 2 weeks it has improved.  Occasionally when I call the problematic Xfinity number, it will connect and both sides are fine.  I also noticed when I dial a number, the ring tone on my side (caller) sound weaker and shaky.  It will connect properly about 1 out of 8 times.  Still annoying as hell. 

zorlac

Quote from: aleet on December 20, 2018, 09:11:36 AM
If that number calls me, it works every time.
That's what I do with the gentleman who I get the static with every time he answers my call (He's using a Consumer cellular flip phone on the AT&T network.)....that's unfortunately the fix.

LauraS

I have also been experiencing this problem when trying to call my parents who have a Comcast number.  9/10 times results in white noise/static on my end - my parents hear nothing. Only occurs when calling via obi - no problem through GV app on cell. Would appreciate a fix.

Razor

I've experienced the same white noise issue only when I call out from my OBI ATA to a number attached to my Mom's Comcast/Xfinity router.  I put in a detailed note to the OBI support team and asked if they focused their testing only on that settup.  Their response was I didn't buy their extended support.  Basically they aren't working on this issue and don't care about your error.  So not I'm looking for alternates as I don't see why they need more of my money if they don't have the customer service care to back up their product even at the most basic design.  Anyone have any idea who their biggest competitor is?  May Huawei?