News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Does Google Voice finally support SIP now?

Started by TTCP, December 05, 2018, 10:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTCP

Hi,

I connect my OBI200 to the Obihai portal, and use Google Voice.

Recently I found in my OBI200, that Google Voice seems to be in the SIP protocol.  I also found this web site - https://gvsip.info, stating similar information.

Does that mean Google Voice finally supports SIP now?

If so, can I use OBI200 connect to Google Voice offline ( I mean without using the Obihia portal )?  Or do I still have to use the portal to connect to Google Voice?

If I can do it offline, where do I obtain all the parameters? Does Google make them available publicly or not?

By the way, what is the reason for Google's switch to SIP?  I remember in the past, Google publicly criticized SIP for a lot of its shortcomings.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Google appears to be using SIP with some "authorisation enhancements".  So no, it isn't just a matter of entering proxy address, username and password into an OBi or other "ordinary SIP" device.  You need to use the portal to configure an OBi to work with GV.  Once configured, the portal is not used when making or receiving calls.

TTCP

Thanks for the quick reply.

I mean once I use the portal to config Google Voice, can I delete my device from the portal? ( and will portal reset my device if I delete it from portal? )

I do not want to keep my device in the portal all the time, as Obihai or Polycom may intentionally push buggy firmware to my OBI (without my consent), and then charge me for support calls.

lrosenman

If I recall previous discussions, it will *REMOVE* the authorizations if you remove it from the portal.

Deal with the firmware... Mine's been rock solid since the conversion), modulo the change re: Caller NAME id, but that appears to be on the google side.